Quantcast

Morewood's Mbuzi

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Picked up my Mbuzi this past weekend. I built it up as a mini-DH bike. Initial ride impressions are that it rides very much like my Izimu but only with 6" of travel. Haven't weighed it yet, but here is the build

Morewood Mbuzi (M)
Rock Shox Lyrik 2-step
Cane Creek Double Barrel
Cane Creek XC Double Flush headset
Cane Creek grips
Thomson 50mm X4 stem
Thomson seatpost
SDG seat
Funn Fatboy 31.8, 710mm bar
Formula k24 brakes w/ 7" rotors
X9 drive train
Truvativ Stylo 175mm cranks
36t E13 chainring
E13 LG1
Hadley 135mm, 12mm thru-axle on Mavic 819
Dimension 20mm on Mavic 819
Crank Brother 5050x pedals

The guy holding the bike is a superfan of sorts and had to have his picture taken. :rolleyes:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Those bikes are awesome. Maybe it's just the picture, but the lyrik really seems to rake it out quite a bit. What's the head angle and bb height supposed to be on those things?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Found it in the catalog. 67* HA, and the BB height is only listed as +19mm... don't get what that means.
Bike looks kinda funny in the pic tho, what size is it? (Maybe I'm just used to what my super long large cannondale looks like w/ a lyrik on it)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
looks sweet, got back into the shop today after being off for a week to find one of those hanging up. Tempted to build it into a demo bike just so i can borrow it. Its seriously sweet and isn't that much heavier than the shova st frame which can be built around the 30lbs mark without too much bother.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Richard was up pretty close when he took the picture. There might be some edge distortion that makes the fork look larger than it really is.

But the fork is very, very smooth. Plus with the 2-step, I can run it down at 115 for a snappy response. But the Misson Control damping is every bit as good as the Motion Control, but with all that you wish it had extra.

The CCDB makes that thing track so well. I wish it was pouring the rain right now. I want to ride it again.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
The mbuzi looks pretty good. I think if i were to go with a "short" travel bike thats what i would get. I've got the 888 sl ata on my shova lt so i can wind it down to about 6 inches so i doubt i will need a shorter travel bike any time soon unless i just decide to get one thats lighter weight. I'm assuming you still have your izimu?

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Would it not be a pain to adjust the double barrel with those two screws facing the top tube like that? I guess thats the sacrifice you might possibly have to make for a stellar shock.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
that thing looks like a bunch of fun to ride. i wonder what that thing would be like on a high speed course tho. that build up would kick ass at diablo. no need for a full 8-10 inches there really. id really like to throw my leg over one of them and try it out.

nice build!! lets see some action pics

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
Looks nice. Real nice....

But... I realize you have it set up more for gravity, but I am going back and forth between a mbuzi and a shova st and I am curious how it pedals? If I can get an extra inch of suspension with a beefier build, not much extra weight, and the clincher for me, a higher bottom bracket with the same pedalibilty..... it might be way the go?

I am not much of a big hit huckster, but I do like going fast and will sacrifice a little weight for durability overall, but I am looking for a "do it all bike" - which includes semi-epics and whatnot :)

Oh yeah, and sizing.... what size is that and how tall are you?

Thanks!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm 6'1" and I go the medium because I have it set up more for gravity. I will probably put a slightly longer stem on it to get the setup perfect. I weighed mine with a coil Lyrik since the 2-step took a dump and with the DB coil it weighed 33.7 lbs. I think Richard got the demo bike down to 31 with lighter wheels, air shock and a few other bits. I swapped the bike on some runs with my buddy's Shova ST and they feel IDENTICAL in performance as far a geometry and ability. So unless you are going to be abusive and more gravity biased on her get the ST. Tough choice though because the ST can handle some abuse as well.

Here is a shot of me at the race yesterday on her...

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
I'm 6'1" and I go the medium because I have it set up more for gravity. I will probably put a slightly longer stem on it to get the setup perfect. I weighed mine with a coil Lyrik since the 2-step took a dump and with the DB coil it weighed 33.7 lbs. I think Richard got the demo bike down to 31 with lighter wheels, air shock and a few other bits. I swapped the bike on some runs with my buddy's Shova ST and they feel IDENTICAL in performance as far a geometry and ability. So unless you are going to be abusive and more gravity biased on her get the ST. Tough choice though because the ST can handle some abuse as well.
Thanks, great answer. I didn't expect to actually find someone that rode both.... So its looking to be the ST for me then - I am sure it will find its way to diablo or whatever here and there, but this is meant to be mostly an all mountain do it all (but not too big) type deal for me.

As far as size, is it safe to say if you weren't downhilling on it you would go for a large?

Thank you though, this was very helpful for me.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
As far as size, is it safe to say if you weren't downhilling on it you would go for a large?

Thank you though, this was very helpful for me.
Yes, I would get the large for all-mountain stuff. Hope you enjoy. Richard had a new 08 built up at a local race yesterday and it was so sweet.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
The one he had built up at 31 lbs is going to be in the next issue of MB USA according to Richard. Looked amazing on the rack hopefully the pics in the mag will be similar.

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
Would it be a terrible thing (er... would i be disappointed) if, in defiance of everyones advice, I still went with a lightly built mbuzi strictly based on the fact that I really like it in that green? :crazy: It couldn't be any worse pedaling than a bullit?

Plus, part of it is that I am also a little afraid that I am sort of buying another heckler, which I already had (well, have, its for sale). Though I have been told that they are nothing like it....

Stupid vanity.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Would it be a terrible thing (er... would i be disappointed) if, in defiance of everyones advice, I still went with a lightly built mbuzi strictly based on the fact that I really like it in that green? :crazy: It couldn't be any worse pedaling than a bullit?
Not at all!!!!!

I think you will find the geometry much better for pedaling than the bullit.

I say get the Mbuzi.