Quantcast

Morewood's Mbuzi

Stan_Ireland

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
ya...it was only time really.

Im 6 ft 1...im guessing a large would be the right size.

Will give you a shout during the week about ordering it.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
cool i'd say large would be spot on i have some tapes and leads for your camera from france. I also have cash for you

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Did anyone try out a little shorter shock on that frame with a 130-140mm fork?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Nice bike. I definitely like the color and fork. ;)

I just built up a Shova ST. So I can directly compare the two and it is clear the Shova ST is more of a pure XC/trail bike and the Mbuzi is more of a DHer's trail bike. Both descend GREAT and both climb well. The Shova ST gets the nod for more everyday XC and Mbuzi gets the nod for more lift assisted trail biking or all day type rides where you are seeking out burly adventurous descents.

There is a lot of overlap between the bikes, but you can't build a Mbuzi as light as you can a Shova ST. Likewise you can't build a Shova ST as burly as you can a Mbuzi.

If speed on the flats and hills is most important, then get the Shova ST.

If speed on burly rock descents and big jumps is most important, then get the Mbuzi.

Over smooth, flowing descents, both are equal. Either way they are great trail bikes for DHers.

I have taken my Mbuzi to Snowshoe's bike park, which can be quite rocky, and I really enjoy riding it there. With the Lyrik and Double Barrel I don't notice the lack of travel. What I notice most is the short wheelbase which makes it great in the tight but a little less stable in the high speed compared to a Izimu.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
profro: I would be running a similar setup as yourself - single chainring, coil rear, Lyric/36/Totem up front. My local spots, where I probably do 80% of my riding, are short dh trails only 30sec - 2mins long with berms small jumps & drops. Not overly rough so I'm sure the nimble nature of the Mbuzi would be perfect (a full on dh bike is a little overkill to be honest). But I just wondered how you thought it would handle the burlier terrain, as I 'occasionally' do uplift days where the trails are a lot longer, faster and rocky. Plus it would have to cope with a week or two in Whistler or the Alps once a year. Has your frame stood up to the abuse...? (thanks)
The rear triangle on these is the same as the Shova LT and 1.5 headtube is beefy. I have been around Morewood bikes for about 3 years now and I have seen small introductions to Patrick's frame building/designing every year. He seems to isolate the weaknesses and make improvements without sacrificing weight and handling. This thing is pretty refined.

The Mbuzi is not a weight-weenie trail bike. This thing is meant to be out in the bush and on the lifts.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I think that looks like a lot of fun, nice build kit - what is the format of the race?
The blast is a bit like a cross between a super d race and the mega avalanche. Its on about a 15 min course with cool single track a few nice jumps and a few evil climbs. You race against 10 people in a heat, all the 1st places then race each other, the 2nd places race each other etc all the way to 10th. Everyone then goes back up for a mass start involving about 250 riders for some mayhem.

heres some youtube footage from competitors

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dijtt845iYs
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY_S3Amyrw

The mbuzi makes a sweet machien for this sort of riding.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Damn that looks awesome and I really like the format. But are you riding tunnels. Wow those are some dark woods.
Its a real fun event that my club runs each year and gets all the xc and dh riders together to have a bit of a laugh. The woods at the start can be a little dark especially because it takes a while for your eyes to adjust. Unfortunatly the weather was a bit against us this year and for some of the day you couldn't see the entrance to the woods from the start and riders where just following the music the dj was playing beside the redbull arch to navigate there way.

http://www.irishxcmtb.com/media.htm if you scroll to the bottom theres a video of the mass start from one a few years ago.

Nice mbuzi riding videos

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Any idea on the weight of the Mbuzi compared to the Shova ST? I'm also looking into one of these frames:brows:

Cheers..

Si..

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
The shova st is about a 1lb lighter than the Mbuzi if that. There is really not much in it at all and both can be built up to fairly similar weights. The swing arm on the Mbuzi is a little lighter than the Shova but the shova has a lighter front end. I'd pick the shova over the mbuzi depending on how much climbing i was planning on doing. If you don't ride with lifts or with shuttles get the shova st if you do a bit of shuttling and ride with lift access get the mbuzi. I'm getting a shova st soon can't wait for it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'd pick the shova over the mbuzi depending on how much climbing i was planning on doing. If you don't ride with lifts or with shuttles get the shova st if you do a bit of shuttling and ride with lift access get the mbuzi.
Very well summed up right there.

atsunD

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
The blast is a bit like a cross between a super d race and the mega avalanche. Its on about a 15 min course with cool single track a few nice jumps and a few evil climbs. You race against 10 people in a heat, all the 1st places then race each other, the 2nd places race each other etc all the way to 10th. Everyone then goes back up for a mass start involving about 250 riders for some mayhem.

heres some youtube footage from competitors

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dijtt845iYs
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY_S3Amyrw

The mbuzi makes a sweet machien for this sort of riding.
cool - I like the mass start

Oct 18, 2008
SLO, CA
get a 34t chainring and an 11-34 casette. you'll be very pleased. I just rode my mbuzi for the first time this weekend, it has an 11-34 casette and a dual ring and I wish I'd gone with the single ring, I was climbing in 36-34 and never shifting into the small ring.

Jul 24, 2008
England
The rear triangle on these is the same as the Shova LT and 1.5 headtube is beefy. I have been around Morewood bikes for about 3 years now and I have seen small introductions to Patrick's frame building/designing every year. He seems to isolate the weaknesses and make improvements without sacrificing weight and handling. This thing is pretty refined.

The Mbuzi is not a weight-weenie trail bike. This thing is meant to be out in the bush and on the lifts.
Thanks for the feedback profro, much appreciated!

I've had to put my new bike purchase on hold as various other expenses cropped up recently (changed jobs & had to replace my car). I'll hopefully be riding something new and shiny early 2009.

Still very keen on the Mbuzi...sounds awesome, however looking at the Morewood website it would appear they've given the 2009 Mbuzi slightly less travel and a steeper head angle compared with the 2008 frame. As I was intending this to be a mini dh/freeride bike I'm not sure I like those changes (does anybody know why they did this - thought they had a winning formula...?).

Maybe the new Zuza is better suited to my needs...has anybody actually seen one built up or swung a leg over one yet? I'm guessing it'll be a little heavier than the Mbuzi too but slightly 'beefed up'?

Thanks!

atsunD

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
Thanks for the feedback profro, much appreciated!

I've had to put my new bike purchase on hold as various other expenses cropped up recently (changed jobs & had to replace my car). I'll hopefully be riding something new and shiny early 2009.

Still very keen on the Mbuzi...sounds awesome, however looking at the Morewood website it would appear they've given the 2009 Mbuzi slightly less travel and a steeper head angle compared with the 2008 frame. As I was intending this to be a mini dh/freeride bike I'm not sure I like those changes (does anybody know why they did this - thought they had a winning formula...?).

Maybe the new Zuza is better suited to my needs...has anybody actually seen one built up or swung a leg over one yet? I'm guessing it'll be a little heavier than the Mbuzi too but slightly 'beefed up'?

Thanks!
oh no!! that's not what I wanted to hear - from what I can see the 09 is 160mm travel same as 08, but the head angle is 67 vs 67.5, is this right?

I'm seriously considering this frame so can anybody confirm the difference
cheers

Jul 24, 2008
England
atsunD: if you go on their official website and click on 'bikes'...then click on the image of the Mbuzi it states "Rear Travel 6" (152mm)". However, if you then click on 'Technical' to bring up a more detailed description of the frame it states "160mm (6.2") rear wheel travel." I'm really not sure which is correct. I think the HA is definately 67.5 for 2009 though (from what I've seen/read).

I know this is only a minor difference, but for me I feel they've gone in the wrong direction making it a steeper frame with less travel. I'm sure it still rides great though!

I assumed the Zuza, being a slightly burlier and longer travel version of the Mbuzi, would have a slacker HA. However the Zuza also has a 67.5 degree HA too.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I would agree...I like the geo of the morewoods except for HA. Their trail bike/light dh offerings are all a degree or so too steep for me.

atsunD

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
yeah - I guess I've read so much good stuff about the bike (incl this thread) so if the new frame is a bit different then I am a bit put off - I hate being a pioneer and prefer to ride the tried and true, know what I mean??

Jul 24, 2008
England
I would agree...I like the geo of the morewoods except for HA. Their trail bike/light dh offerings are all a degree or so too steep for me.
Yeah I know what you mean, I would prefer something slightly slacker.

I was riding my friends Bottle Rocket (with Totems) at the weekend which has a 67 degree HA. It felt fine as the dh trails we were riding were quite tight/bermy and not overly fast. However I wouldn't really want to go any steeper in the HA department. It did feel a little more twitchy than I'm used to, but I suppose you would adapt to the feel of the bike over time.

I'm really after a frame which is pretty light, strong enough to take a few hits, 66-67 HA, relatively low BB, 6-7inch rear travel. The Mbuzi/Zuza almost fits the bill...almost...

Last edited:

Betsie

Chimp
Jan 5, 2009
With the Mbuzi, if you run a hope headset with the 13mm lower cups installed then the head angle is slack enough to race Dh (to slack for climbing though), and with the zero stack cups installed the bike makes for a great trail bike. I would not want to change the cups all the time, so I use the zero stack cups, but did race the bike Dh with the 13mm ones installed.

I am currently aiming to get my Mbuzi to under 30lb, hopefully under 29lb and still a strong enough build to race Dh on but with light tyres (2.35 single ply Maxxis). That is assuming the frame is 8.5lb with the shock.

I use a single ring up front, 32T for climbing as I found a 34T was just to big for real mountain tracks and my riding ability.

Bikes:
DH: IH Sunday, Dhx5:Boxxer WC's (Travel=8x8, HA=65Degrees)
Trail: Morewood Mbuzi, Dhx4:Fox 36 Floats (Travel=6x6, HA=67Degrees)
HT/Jump etc: Dialled Holeshot, Fox F100RL (Travel=4x0, HA=69Degrees)

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I find the head angle slack enough even with zero stack cups, but the wheelbase is a little on the short side for fast trails.

TheCrow

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
I'm looking to buy a Mbuzi. At 178cm I'm supposed to ride a Med, but would like to run a 35mm / 50mm stem so have decided to go with a Large in order not to loose too much cockpit room and lenght for fast stuff.

Was just wondering if anyone else tried this and what their experience have been.

Also, how vital is a fork with travel adjust. Ideally I would like to get build the bike with a fit and forget fork.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Be careful with getting the large. If I converted that right you are 5'8". Definately you should get the medium. I am 6'1" and I am on a medium and it feels great. Climbs well, cruises even better, and descends like a DH bike. I think the larger would be a bit awkward to handle for your height.

I have the U-turn Lyrik and the bike preforms best with the fork at a full 6". Balances better with the rear. I have run it all the way down at 4" and it felt funny.

Oct 18, 2008
SLO, CA
I'm 6'5" (195cm) and I ride a large with a 70mm stem. feels great. If ur 5'10" (178cm) I would recommend a medium.

I have a talas 36 on mine and I shorten it to 100mm for long climbs. I could climb with the fork at 160mm, but I don't like it. I've also descended with the fork at 100mm by accident and it didn't feel too bad through tight corners and fast/smooth single track. I'd go with adjustable travel if I were you but the bike will be fun with any decent fork.

Last edited:

TheCrow

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
Med Morewood Mbuzi
Industry Nine Enduro Wheelset
Fox 36 Float RC2
Fox DHX Air 4.0
Shimano SLX 22-36T 175mm Crank & Front Der
Shimano XTR Cassette & Chain
SRAM X0 Rear Der & Grip Shifts
Formula Oro K24 Brakes with 180mm rotors front & rear
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST front & rear
Crank Brothers 5050XX Pedals (Not fitted yet in the pic)
KS i900-R Seatpost
WTB Rocket-V SLT
Easton Havoc Mid Rise Handlebar & 50mm Stem
Sunline Reducer Headset

The DHX is still giving me a bit of a headache, but it's geting there. Have done a couple of rides on the bike and I don't miss my Talas one bit and I do a lot of technical climbing up single track. I'm glad I went with the Float over the Talas or 2-Step.

Attachments

TheCrow

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
Yeah, it's an 09. Not sure. Haven't bothered weighing it yet, but I can say this: I've come off an Ibis Mojo SL with pretty much the same build so the only difference should be frame and shock and the Ibis was under 12.5k. So I'm guessing somewhere between 13.5 and 14. Doesn't pedal that heavy though.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Say hello to my Morewood Makulu's little broher, Mbuzi

Just the frame for now, rest to come :)

erikbnash

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
Just finished the build yesterday and rode it today for the first time. Love everything about it. Drop the Talas down to 100 and it climbs like a GOAT!

34.5 lbs.

2009 Morewood Muzi in Medium w/DHX 5.0 Coil
2008 Talas RC2 36
Chris King Headset 1.5 Green
Thomson Elite 30.9 Setback Post
Salsa Post Clamp Green
Specialized Rival 143 Seat
Easton Monkey Lite Carbon Bars
ODI Ruffian Grips
XT Brakes, Shifters, Front and Rear Derailleurs
Transition Temple Lite 1.5X50 Stem
XT Crankset converted to 36/22 Double w/Bashguard
Chris King Bottom Bracket Green
Sunline V1 Pedals/XTR Clipless Pedals
XTR Chain
XT Cassette
Chris King Hubs Green
Mavic EN521 Rims
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC Front Tire
Kenda Small Block Eight 2.35 DTC Rear Tire

Last edited:

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
guys

would love to hear your settings for the DHX Air? PSI & Weight

also if you are running 3 chain rings or 2? I am thinking of making mine 36T-24up front like my Reign X and maybe a e13 DRS