Quantcast

Morgan Hill

Grantjd

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Im about to graduate from college, and im looking into possible employment near Morgan Hill. I realize Specialized is there, but i am from the east coast and have no idea what its like there. any input?

and am i right in assuming its northern california? i guess itd be northern-centralish-california.

-grant

Whoaohohohoh

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
santa cruz
Morgan hill is really the south bay area more or less.

What is your major and why are you moving across the country. I know specialized and fox riders co are both in the morgan hill area If you go over the hill, highway17 you are in santa cruz, and there you have santa cruz bikes, fox shock racing and a few other small bike companies. Check out this website and it will give you an idea of whats around the area in terms of biking.

http://www.scbic.org/

then click on the links page.

Just so you know its hard to get a job with santa cruz bikes and fox shock and I am pretty sure the same applies to specialized. I have tried 3 times with santa cruz and once with fox and no luck.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I grew up in Mo' Hill from '87-'99 and my folks still live there. It is a fairly cool town albeit somewhat boring if you are accustomed to having a night life. I'll write you a basic list of pros and cons.

Pros:
1- 1hr proximity to San Fran, Santa Cruz, Monterey.
2- 1/2hr to San Jose (Intl arpt, malls, etc)
3- Good XC riding in Henry Coe park, the largest state park in Nor Cal!
4- Employment opportunities at Fox Racing and Specialized as well as Dinan (BMW tuner), Custom Chrome (Harley parts) and others locally
5- Lots of lakes nearby for water sports, Anderson res. is the largest in the area.
6- Lots of golf courses (I hate golf but you might not)
7- 4hr drive to Tahoe
8- 4hr drive to Santa Barbara :D
9- South Valley Bikes, great small "ma 'n' pa" bike shop.
10- Sea Otter Classic is nearby
11- Relatively low precipitation, maybe 20" annual or so.

Cons:
1- Can be boring (especially if single), even the San Jose night life is weak, go to SF for real fun.
2- High priced housing. Not terribly high but pretty un-affordable at ~$750k median I'd guess.
3- The riding in Henry Coe is great and beautiful but not very technical at all, if you want tech you have to drive at least an hour to Santa Cruz or Pacifica etc.
4- Predominantly red zone, lots of wal*mart shopping republican christians believe it or not. (Might not be a con for you?)
5- No Trader Joes! Weak.
6- Can get HOT in summer, upwards of 100º even 115º on occasion. Also gets dry with lots of fox tails to get stuck in your socks. :D

There are more but that covers the basics. If you tell me more about yourself I can give you more specifics.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I lived in NYC and Hartford before moving to SF.

From a biking perspective, this area is a biking mecca. Road, XC, FR, DH, DJ, it has it all here.

However, there is some driving involved, and it can unpleasant.

Morgan Hill/San Jose is not the most exciting place, but I can tell you SF is not always worth the trouble to live here.

Biking-wise, I have never regretted coming here.

gobike

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
Whoaohohohoh said:
Morgan hill is really the south bay area more or less.

What is your major and why are you moving across the country. I know specialized and fox riders co are both in the morgan hill area If you go over the hill, highway17 you are in santa cruz, and there you have santa cruz bikes, fox shock racing and a few other small bike companies. Check out this website and it will give you an idea of whats around the area in terms of biking.

http://www.scbic.org/

then click on the links page.

Just so you know its hard to get a job with santa cruz bikes and fox shock and I am pretty sure the same applies to specialized. I have tried 3 times with santa cruz and once with fox and no luck.

I got it from someone on the inside that Fox is down 8 machinests (this was at the end of Feb). I also was told they weren't posting the job opportunities on the web, as they wanted them referred by someone already working there, so if your'e in the know, you might want to reapply.

Grantjd

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
To revive an old topic;

Does anyone have a contact at Specialized? Im trying to reach the recruiters to ask a few questions about a job posting they have online, but i havent been able to get through on several attempts. Emails dont go anywhere either.....

Thanks-
Grant

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Grantjd said:
To revive an old topic;

Does anyone have a contact at Specialized? Im trying to reach the recruiters to ask a few questions about a job posting they have online, but i havent been able to get through on several attempts. Emails dont go anywhere either.....

Thanks-
Grant
I applied for a job at Specialized, and I think they get a lot of requests, particularily from the online postings, and I have contacts there.

I suspect they, like most companies, have online postings mostly to cover-all-the-bases, not because they are looking to bring someone in.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
A while back I actually scored an interview with Fox Racing (the clothing company). It seemed like everything was going well until I told them I was still in school, and then they told me it wouldn't work out because of my schedule. I found that listing off of craigslist, so just keep your eyes peeled!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Did MH planning commission actually approve putting in a TJ's? I know people have been pushing for one but that was about the extent of it last I heard. Also I heard TJ's wasn't interested since MH isn't a college town and they prefer college towns for the good labor force. I hope this info is correct.