Quantcast

Morning ride - Apex Park

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Last night I came to the conclusion that, with my busy schedule both at home and at work, if I want to get in any riding during the week its going to have to be before work. So, with that in mind, I got my stuff ready and set the alarm for 4:30 am. Child #2 has trained us that we aren't supposed to sleep past 5:30 on any day, so getting up at 4:30 wasn't really that bad. I scarfed down some oatmeal, grabbed my stuff and a packet of Goo and headed out.

The sky was just starting to get light when I got to the trailhead

By 6:05 I was heading up the trail. As you can see by the previous photo, there were no other cars there and it was just me and nature. Around the first bend I ran into a small herd of elk. I didn't stop to take any pics 'cause I was just getting warmed up and I was already starting to get in the groove. I did see a runner at that point, but didn't see anyone else until I came back down. The solitude was awesome and the temps were perfect with tights, long sleeves and a vest.

It was still a bit dark as I asended the Pick-n-Sledge climb

Starting to lighten a bit

Ah, there's the sun!

Still a little dark as I decend down the west side Sluicebox trail.

The Sluicebox trail drops you back onto the Apex trail, which takes you back to the trailhead. As I was heading down, I had to stop and take a pic of the Pick-n-Sledge climb that I'd just done. You can see the Apex trail dropping down to the right behind some trees.

I don't know if these are the guys I saw when I started, but they were just hanging out by the parking lot when I left

And now I'm at work, wishing I was still out there, but feeling really good that I got a ride in.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I love morning rides - thanks for the pics. We didn't do that ride when we visited, but Squeak pointed out where it was.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Morryjg said:
Right on! You know if Enchanted is dry?
I didn't make it up that far. If I hadn't stopped to take pics I might have but was pressed for time. With the little amount of snow that I saw along the Apex trail, I'd venture to guess that Enchanted is pretty dry.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I made it back out to Apex again this morning. Since I didn't bring my camera I was able to add the Grubstake loop, which is an awesome section. Instead of taking the Sluicebox trail back down to Apex, you climb a few switchbacks and then are greeted by 7-8 awesome steep downhill switchbacks on smooth hardpack through shady pines, and then some nice rollercoaster singletrack back up to the Pick-n-Sledge trail. I still made it back to my truck by 7, got to work by 7:30, showered and changed and was at my desk before 8.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Well, I did it again. That's 3 times in the last 2 weeks. This time, one of my riding buddies braved the early morning hour and rode with me. It was a bit chilly this morning. The thermometer in my friend's suv read 35*. I decided not to wear my warm gloves and by the time I reached the top of the first climb, my fingers were numb. Thankfully I'd brought my fleece windstopper gloves in my pack, so after switching those, life was much better. Once again I was able to do the entire ride in my middle ring, which is huge for me. There are still a few steep technical spots where I just didn't have the strength to power through, but I'll get em. Since my buddy is a bit slower than me, we only did the short loop, but it was better than nothing!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i love early morning rides. that trail looks awesome. makes me really want to go to school out in colorado in a year and a half.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
gnurider1080 said:
i love early morning rides. that trail looks awesome. makes me really want to go to school out in colorado in a year and a half.

Come on out! 80% of boulder is from Mass anyway! You will probably know most of them!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I made it to Apex again this morning. I didn't have the best ride. On the initial climb that I've been able to do in my middle ring, I only made it halfway up before I had to drop down to my small ring. It was a little discouraging, but considering that I've done it twice this season in the middle ring, when I'd only been able to do that once in the past 5 years, made me feel a better. I'm still suffering from the cold I got right before going to Moab and the wind was actually gusting quite a bit for so early in the day, so I don't feel too bad about not making the climb as easily as I did a couple weeks ago. I was glad that I'd worn my shell as the wind made it feel like it was in the mid 30's. It still felt great to get out, even though I only rode for 45 minutes. There were 3 guys in the lot when I pedalled off and I expected them to catch me quickly, but they never did. They probably went up the Apex trail as opposed to following me up Pick-n-Sledge, but I'm just gonna keep telling myself that I was too darn fast for them to catch me. ;)

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I rode apex two days ago (Sunday). From the house, cruised through Golden, up Apex trail, over to Chimney gultch and then down to Golden. Such a good ride.... although I prefer Apex down rather than up.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Ascentrek said:
I rode apex two days ago (Sunday). From the house, cruised through Golden, up Apex trail, over to Chimney gultch and then down to Golden. Such a good ride.... although I prefer Apex down rather than up.
I agree. Whenever I combine Apex and Chimney, I ride up Chimney and down Apex.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I rode Apex again this morning with my friend Charlie. It was a nice brisk 32* at the trailhead. I decided not to push it too hard and didn't worry about making the climb in my middle ring. The climb felt good...until I got to the last technical spot before the top. As I tried powering through it, I smacked my pedal on a rock, which caused me to unclip (stupid Eggbeaters). As I tried clipping back in without dabbing, I lost my balance and went down hard. I stuck my left hand out and it landed square on a sharp rock with all my weight behind it. I now have a bruised palm that hurts like heck. To add insult to injury, as I was coming down the backside of the mountain, my front tire washed out on a water bar and I went down hard...right on my left hand again. I could barely hold onto my bar as I descended back to the car.

I'm glad I got out this morning, but now I hurt.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
If all goes well this afternoon, I'm headed out for a ride at Apex around 3pm.... I haven't hit Enchanted forest on my Nomad yet....

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
DRB said:
And that is the only reasonable conclusion you could come to.
This morning I proved myself correct! The same guys were at the trailhead when I got there. I knew my friend wouldn't show, but I tooled around the lot anyway, waiting for them to take off. They did, and I waited a few minutes before heading up, thinking that they'd be long gone. Wrong. I caught them within the first mile. :sneaky:

Today I took a different route. Instead of doing my usual Pick-N-Sledge/Grubstake loop, I decided to continue up the Apex trail, on up to Enchanted Forest. This extended my ride by about 15 minutes, but I was still sitting at my desk at work by 8:15.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
This morning I proved myself correct! The same guys were at the trailhead when I got there. I knew my friend wouldn't show, but I tooled around the lot anyway, waiting for them to take off. They did, and I waited a few minutes before heading up, thinking that they'd be long gone. Wrong. I caught them within the first mile. :sneaky:

Today I took a different route. Instead of doing my usual Pick-N-Sledge/Grubstake loop, I decided to continue up the Apex trail, on up to Enchanted Forest. This extended my ride by about 15 minutes, but I was still sitting at my desk at work by 8:15.
Mmmmmm........ Enchanted Forest........ :drool:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Mmmmmm........ Enchanted Forest........ :drool:
EF was super sweet this morning. The low angle of the sun threw a lot of weird tree and leaf shadows that threw me off a bit. In some sections I couldn't tell the difference between root, rock and shadow.

The only complaint I have with that trail is its too damn short.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
pixelninja said:

:thumb: I approve.

When I'm out in August I'm riding these trails for no other reason then to say I've riden on the pixelninja morning ride trails.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
aah. apex. chimney gulch up to and around behind the nature center and then apex to EF was a staple for me when i lived out there. i actually did that loop on my cruiser BMX once. it sucked.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
This is becoming the Chronicles of Apex. I rode it again this morning with my friend Charlie. We did the Apex to EF route. It was beautiful this morning! On the way I passed a bank and the time/temp sign read 51. Shorts and a long sleeve shirt were perfect. No wrecks this time and I only accidentally unclipped 3 times. :rolleyes: I felt good both going up and down. I didn't push it too hard on the way up because I needed something left for the downhill. Charlie is a better downhiller than I, but I'm a better climber. This was Charlie's 5th day in a row riding, so he was a bit fatigued even before we started. I knew he would be tired by the time we started descending and all I wanted was fighting chance on making it to the bottom first. I did. :devil:

Some of you are probably wondering, "But pixel, why don't you mix it up? You live next to several amazing trails, so why are you sticking with Apex?" Well, that's a really stupid question and frankly, I'm embarrassed for both of us. Just kidding. ;)

I'm sticking with Apex for a couple reasons. First, its the perfect length for a morning ride. I've only got an hour to ride and getting in ALL the trails in the park would be a bit long, so I'm not riding the exact same trails all the time. I've basically broken it up into 3 different routes. 1. Up Apex/up Pick-n-Sledge/down Sluicebox/down Apex. 2. Up Apex/up Pick-n-Sldege/around Grubstake/down Pick-n-Sledge/down Apex. 3. Up Apex all the way/down Enchanted Forest/down Apex.

The second reason is that this is giving me a measuring stick, which I've never had before. I'm getting to know this trail system well enough that I know where my trouble spots are. There's 1 spot on the Apex trail before the first junction that I never make. There's 3 spots on the P-n-S climb that I rarely make. There's 3 switchbacks on Sluicebox that I never make. There's 2-3 spots on upper Apex that I rarely make and there's 2 spots on EF that I rarely make. These give me something to work toward.

After riding today, I stopped in at Heritage Square, which is right next to Apex (you park in the same lot). My company is having its picnic there this year, and I need to put together the announcement. Here's some pics of the Square:

Entrance

Farris wheel

Alpine slide in the background

Merry-go-round

Another shot of the farris wheel

I'm now "working from home" because there's a plumber here to fix a broken sewer line. Woo hoo. I love being a home owner. :rolleyes: At least I got to ride this morning!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Not much to report about this morning's ride. I was able to clean a couple problem sections on the Pick-n-Sledge climb, but was sloppy on the Sluicebox descent and dabbed on a couple switchbacks that I know I can clean. Oh well, there's always next time.

I need to bring my camera again to get pictures of the Enchanted Forest section. Its too fun not to document.