Quantcast

Morons!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I bailed from work early today and went on a fantastic little MTB ride this afternoon. Just a great ride, legs felt strong, I even rode the long way home.

As I'm riding through town, in a well marked bike lane, some moron opens his car door literally about 2 feet in front of me. I throw the breaks on and powerslide pretty much into his lap as he steps out of his car to go stuff his face at some crappy buffet style asian restraunt.

Then get this......he tells me I should watch out next time, I could hurt someone!!!!

It took every shred of my being to not take my mini pump and beat him unconscious with it. Why are some people so insanely self centered and clueless all at the same time???
:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

Jun 18, 2004
I heard about this one Messenger in Seattle that got hit by a car and of course the car owner could afford a lawyer so they sued the messenger for damages to thier car... that's what I'm always afraid of... getting laid out and then sued.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
DH Diva said:
I bailed from work early today and went on a fantastic little MTB ride this afternoon. Just a great ride, legs felt strong, I even rode the long way home.

As I'm riding through town, in a well marked bike lane, some moron opens his car door literally about 2 feet in front of me. I throw the breaks on and powerslide pretty much into his lap as he steps out of his car to go stuff his face at some crappy buffet style asian restraunt.

Then get this......he tells me I should watch out next time, I could hurt someone!!!!

It took every shred of my being to not take my mini pump and beat him unconscious with it. Why are some people so insanely self centered and clueless all at the same time???
If he had done that to this cyclist, he would have been beaten.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Yeah, this guy was a real gem. He looked a 30 year old Hanson brother, even down to the bad 90's era sweater. Mmmm Bop!

After his little "watch out your going to hurt somebody" comment I was sure to let him know he was lucky because I had better things to do with my afternoon than make him cry in front of all his friends, oh, and that Hanson called and they wanted their hair back.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
DH Diva said:

Next time give into the darkside and beat the crap outta the retard! :mumble:
Glad your ok though.... a flatmate had it happen to her 4 years ago, she was really messed up by it, needed 4 lots of surgery. :(

L

luelling

DH Diva said:
Yeah, this guy was a real gem. He looked a 30 year old Hanson brother, even down to the bad 90's era sweater. Mmmm Bop!

After his little "watch out your going to hurt somebody" comment I was sure to let him know he was lucky because I had better things to do with my afternoon than make him cry in front of all his friends, oh, and that Hanson called and they wanted their hair back.
DAMN....I'm a HANSEN FAN!!! J/K. The only advice I can offer you from my years of road riding is to watch and ride defensively. When I was teaching my girl to ride in traffic downtown I told her to watch people in their parked cars on the side and watch for intent and give room. I would rather someone honk at me for giving too much room to a parked car than bash my head into someones door (and I'm sure they would blame it on me). Coming from Dh...you have to learn these things :) If you have any other questions Carrie, I can answer them. :cool:

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
DH Diva said:
Not a good visual...not a pleasent one at all:nonono:

I most likely would have freaked out and smacked him around. This is why we need the stupid police, to arrest and throttle these kinds of tards and we can keep riding with a clean conscience.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I ran into the door once and the guy said I should have been riding on the sidewalk where it's safer. I too was in a BIKE lane.

Some people just suck. Glad you cleared the door though.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Ugh...the general population just does not get it in the least. It sucks that we can't even use a bike lane for what it was intended because people assume that "it's just a bike, my car is more important".

People in general are too self absorbed these days. They can't stop for a squirrel crossing the street because it would set them back 10 seconds during their "completely booked day", but they can stand in line at Starbucks for 25 minutes to purchase a $4 cup of crappy coffee. *sigh*

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
robdamanii said:
People in general are too self absorbed these days. They can't stop for a squirrel crossing the street because it would set them back 10 seconds during their "completely booked day"
I aim for the little bastards.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
pull up into a manual next time. a front wheel through the side glass and chainrings in the dude's arm would be just the ticket...

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
DH Diva said:

Sounds like a good Letter to the Editor! The GT has been filled with cycling opinions lately, you should get in your 2 cents. :)

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
DH Diva said:
It took every shred of my being to not take my mini pump and beat him unconscious with it.:mumble:
Well, if you were THAT angry, :angry: I'm surprized you didn't wait till he was inside stuffin his FACESH full of Moo Shu Pork!:drool: Then go back pulling out your trusty TOPEAK® McGuyver bike tool screw driver attachment :devil:and do another ride by his driver side door making one long stroke from front to rear.:evil::eviltongu

If you were THAT mad. :D

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
blue said:
Dude, is that yours!? Awl that is priceless! She's adorable.

By the way, I looked at your blog. The Memorial day thing about three day weekend, that is my setiments exactly. Don't get me started on that subject. I already ranted off at someone on another thread over our freedom not coming for free and kids today. But anyway, much kudos on the text. My point's exactly.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!

if you live in a big city it is a good idea to carry one of thoes. it will last longer than a frame pump in a fight!:) LOL

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you can figure out how to run into his door without injuring yourself, do it. Unless you live in the most bike unfriendly city, the cops will side with you, especially if you were doored in a bike lane.

A lady turned into me in a bike lane last year. I ended up on the ground next to her car. I punched her quater panel in frustration for a good 5-10 seconds. All the witnesses, including a neighborhood patrol cop, said the damage was from impact.
An accident on your bike doesn't go on your insurance so the only incentive to avoid them is personal preservation. If drivers knew that thier presious car could be seriously damaged, they might pay more attention.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
specializedride said:

if you live in a big city it is a good idea to carry one of thoes. it will last longer than a frame pump in a fight!:)
Assault & battery always trumps idiot in a car in the eyes of the popo no matter what your story is... That and the cops that have to deal with you will now look at all bikers like they are like they need to be looked at... You'll be real popular with all the cyclists in your part of town.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
jdcamb said:
Assault & battery always trumps idiot in a car in the eyes of the popo no matter what your story is... That and the cops that have to deal with you will now look at all bikers like they are like they need to be looked at... You'll be real popular with all the cyclists in your part of town.
That was ment to be taken as a joke. Sorry!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well since you had the right of way. you totally should have not hit the brakes so hard and let his body help stop you.

i've slammed into car doors opening. and actually bent it the wrong way. was totally their fault and they knew it too. didn't even hurt my bike.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
jdcamb said:
Assauhttp://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/images/editor/menupop.giflt & battery always trumps idiot in a car in the eyes of the police no matter what your story is... That and the cops that have to deal with you will now look at all bikers like they are like they need to be looked at... You'll be real popular with all the cyclists in your part of town.
Hey, pass me that baton! I'm gonna hit JDCAMB over the head with it :looney: just to give him some REAL stars around his head bigger than the ones on his avatar, just for making a comment like that!:rofl:

When I go riding, I NEVER leave home without my big black metal baton!!! :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
How about call the police, then lay on the ground, and then that ahole driver finds whose fault it is then.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Chunky Munkey said:
Hey, pass me that baton! I'm gonna hit JDCAMB over the head with it :looney: just to give him some REAL stars around his head bigger than the ones on his avatar, just for making a comment like that!:rofl:

When I go riding, I NEVER leave home without my big black metal baton!!! :D
It is also retractable so it fits quite nicley in a jeersey pocket!:rofl: :rofl: :)

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Or you can kick the mirror straight off of the car and ride away. Like my coworker did. If you were clipped in, the shoes make nice impressions in the doors as well.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've alway noticed that any "restaraunt row" street is one to be avoided if at all possible.
people are so blinded by their desire for that g.d. big mac and fries, that they'll drive across as many lanes of traffic as they have to to bee line it for the drive thru window.
and run over any and everything in their path.

i had a guy once miss my front wheel by inches, flying across the sidewalk and into the golden arches, so he could get his mcwhatever.
i rode around the opposite side of the building and was sitting there blocking his access to the order area.

his behind the wheel alter ego quickly shrank as he saw me standing there.
he was in full panic and roll up the window mode as i took a few steps towards him.
no mcmuffin for his @$$ that morning.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhbuilder said:
i've alway noticed that any "restaraunt row" street is one to be avoided if at all possible..
There is a two block section of my daily commute with little shops and a couple of restaurants. I haven't had any problems with cars, but people will just step off the sidewalk right in front of you because they are fixated on some shiney thing in the window of some store across the street. I've almost hit a few.

I always ask them if their parents failed to teach them to look both ways before crossing the street.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
Run 'em over!!!

They are usually 50 + lbs overweight and sucking on a soft serve ice-cream cone. The have the "right-of-weigh" and I'd rather not have to clean up the grease spot.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
jdschall said:
They are usually 50 + lbs overweight and sucking on a soft serve ice-cream cone. The have the "right-of-weigh" and I'd rather not have to clean up the grease spot.
Eeewwwww! Bad mental picture. In this case it would have been a skinny, hanson looking white guy, slurping down bad pan fried yakisoba noodles. I don't know which is worse.

I fully believe in Karma. And that I remember his car make/model/license plate number and the next time I see his car parked somewhere, oddly all the air is going to just end up disappearing from his tires. :sneaky:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DH Diva said:
I had better things to do with my afternoon than make him cry in front of all his friends, oh, and that Hanson called and they wanted their hair back.
LMAO! George Costanza will go down in history for his joke. Nice use of it!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DH Diva said:
I fully believe in Karma. And that I remember his car make/model/license plate number and the next time I see his car parked somewhere, oddly all the air is going to just end up disappearing from his tires. :sneaky:
if you happen to have a good friend who is in law enforcement.
you can access his address with the above info.(on the sly of course.)
take care of buisness in his own driveway, and be sitting there when he sees the results, ride by and tell him to think about this the next time he messes with the wrong cyclist.

i had a bike messenger friend in houston, who did just that.