Quantcast

Morpheus DH bike - 32.3 lbs, carbon/kevlar, adjustable CS

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I honestly just fail to understand why they thought the concentric BB was a good idea? They had a completely clear slate to do what ever they wanted.

R&D Meeting at Mongoloids
Bob, "Insanely adjustable people will like that right?" Bill, "Yes"
Bob "Carbon, it's hotter then bacon right now should we make our frame carbon?" Bill "Yes"
Bob "Throw in our crazy chainstay adjusters as out signature?" Bill "Why not its ugly but it works"

Bill "But ummmm, Bob?"
Bob "Yes Bill?"

Bill "What are we going to do about a suspension design?
Bob "Well................"

Concentric BB F'iT!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I honestly just fail to understand why they thought the concentric BB was a good idea? They had a completely clear slate to do what ever they wanted.

R&D Meeting at Mongoloids
Bob, "Insanely adjustable people will like that right?" Bill, "Yes"
Bob "Carbon, it's hotter then bacon right now should we make our frame carbon?" Bill "Yes"
Bob "Throw in our crazy chainstay adjusters as out signature?" Bill "Why not its ugly but it works"

Bill "But ummmm, Bob?"
Bob "Yes Bill?"

Bill "What are we going to do about a suspension design?
Bob "Well................"

Concentric BB F'iT!
Well they are a NY based company. I've heard single speed is like big there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the kind of guy that usually wants a single speed DH bike doesn't give a **** about carbon or airfoils

TRUTH
I agree. They kinda half made it half assed. They should have gave it 300mm travel, made it from steel but add a 5kg layer of gussets than put a fixed hub inside ;)

Sandwich - the quarrel with bb main pivot I have is I like to pump the terrain and doing that on them feels horrible. I like the idea on small bikes but 160mm? As much as I understand a large % of the riders don't need gears for park riding it would be hard to convince me to ride one.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the kind of guy that rides SS DH also doesn't give a **** about travel, or fixed hubs, only steel ;)
They must be different around your parts. Here they are all about huck bikes that require no maintenance. One guy claimed he needed double wides for his bikes because he goes through rims like nothing but only recently he mentioned he didn't replace that few missing spokes in his rear wheel for 2 years!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich - the quarrel with bb main pivot I have is I like to pump the terrain and doing that on them feels horrible. I like the idea on small bikes but 160mm? As much as I understand a large % of the riders don't need gears for park riding it would be hard to convince me to ride one.
I found my 5" travel CBB bike was really fun at places with lots of berms and jumps...where you pump the terrain. It failed miserable over anything that wasn't a soft, slow, controlled impact. BMX tracks were awesome, dirt jumping was fun, Plattekill and Jiminy were miserable.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I found my 5" travel CBB bike was really fun at places with lots of berms and jumps...where you pump the terrain. It failed miserable over anything that wasn't a soft, slow, controlled impact. BMX tracks were awesome, dirt jumping was fun, Plattekill and Jiminy were miserable.
I agree on a small bike it feels great. Test rode a few dartmoor shines but they are 4'' and you set them up hard. I think I'm also a bit used to rearward bikes. Even my xc bike has a fairly high pivot. Still I wouldn't use a bb pivot for any but the most well maintained parks. Many popular trails have crazy brake bumps and those can be painful.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Morpheus Cycles is proud to state that our products are engineered and built in the United States. Though our bikes are welded in Taiwan; every other aspect of development and production on all 2011 and beyond Morpheus bikes are completed right here in the USA. The design, testing, anodizing and assembly get finished in NYC by Morpheus' expert bike mechanics.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have to weigh in here with the fact I have my DH bike (TR250) setup singlespeed for 2 seasons now and I really do enjoy it, the silence and simplicity is a nice change. For our east coast resorts it works well...I do however put my drivetrain back on for the annual whistler trip simply because we ride outside of the park and im not that 'hardcore'...

SS has its place...not sure about this bike though...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Looks bad on paper but id try it, Their DJ bikes are pretty sweet, and the chainstays hold up, look like **** but its function over fashion id say, sure it may be less than ideal in certain situations but it could excel in others. Im not hating on it yet, Give it a chance

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
They could fix it, and still keep the same molds.
Just slap a Horst link on(still be adjustable)where the adjustable bit is, and add a seat stay up to a link for the shock. Hey presto, decent stiffer, plusher bike. I'd make the Horst link real low and add an idler, but that's just me. They could still just go vertical axle path, with pedal induced anti squat. Would get rid of the excessive brake JACk or squat, whatever it'd have too.
Did you get that Bill?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Looks bad on paper but id try it, Their DJ bikes are pretty sweet, and the chainstays hold up, look like **** but its function over fashion id say, sure it may be less than ideal in certain situations but it could excel in others. Im not hating on it yet, Give it a chance
What function do they really serve that hasn't been done better and lighter on other bikes? I'd much rather get a dartmoor player and that's not only because acording to their philosophy it is polish built ;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
speaking of random carbon dh bikes, anyone know the scoop on this? uk homebuilt apparently created by an f1 suspension guru (doesn't gridds have stats like this?):

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
this bike is horrendous...i love the way the guys behind it are already saying how it will change the 'industry' and the aerodynamics are capable of overtaking numerous positions at wc's and having digs at evils expense on facebook...

but DUDE props on those chainstays....they should make replica duplicate chainstays of other bikes (demo,v10,session) and incorporate those alloy adjuster teeth or whatever they're supposed to be

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
From their Facebook post:

So aerodynamics is more important than wheel path and pedaling characteristics?
Aerodynamics will move you up 5-10 places in World Cup races is same principle as Edelbrock stickers adding 15hp to any vehicle right?
Not to mention the fact that the aerodynamics arent just based on the "frame" alone, or bike alone for that matter... Seems like someone forgot that huge component called the "rider" in their calcs. Want to obtain a 1% increase in overall efficiency, based only on the aerodynamics of the frame? Well, that would be something to behold. Me thinks they didn't on that one.

So as to not be compltely negative, I do have to admit I actually kinda dig the aesthetics of the bike.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Morpheus is the same company that introduced a carbon XC hardtail 26er just when the XC Lycra boyz switched to 29ers.

Not too surprised they missed the memo on BB pivots for long travel bikes.

I predict their next game-changing design will be URT. :weee:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Morpheus Cycles is proud to state that our products are engineered and built in the United States. Though our bikes are welded in Taiwan; every other aspect of development and production on all 2011 and beyond Morpheus bikes are completed right here in the USA. The design, testing, anodizing and assembly get finished in NYC by Morpheus' expert bike mechanics.
Oh cool, I'm glad they weld their carbonz in Taiwan, I hear taiwanz has the best carbon welders.

StuntMonkey

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
I absolutely agree that in theory a BB concentric pivot makes the bikes useless for anything but big hits and being a SS hipster...

But I also want to know what it's like to ride a long travel BB concentric pivot bike. Is there any out there that someone has tried? I rode an old turner DHR which had a pretty low pivot. It plowed surprisingly better than I was expecting. But apples and oranges, I'm sure it's still hugely different.
LenzSport ProDescender DHR has 8 or 9 inches, depending on which link you use...
Fits 3" wide tires, either 24" or 26"...
Has excellent attention to detail and construction...

The Killswitch is more Dirt Jumper style, also has Concentric BottomBracket...

I bet there are more, but I have not done any searching...
I own a LenzSport ProDescender DHR,
Riding buddy has Killswitch...
Between us, we have over 30 bikes...

They are ALL Good!!!
Just different and unique and each with personality...

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
LenzSport ProDescender DHR has 8 or 9 inches, depending on which link you use...
Fits 3" wide tires, either 24" or 26"...
Has excellent attention to detail and construction...

The Killswitch is more Dirt Jumper style, also has Concentric BottomBracket...

I bet there are more, but I have not done any searching...
I own a LenzSport ProDescender DHR,
Riding buddy has Killswitch...
Between us, we have over 30 bikes...

They are ALL Good!!!
Just different and unique and each with personality...

Wow, good post bro...

Anybody know how the dude at windham that was riding it did?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
As we all know DH bikes only go in straight lines, directly into the wind, so it's a great idea to build bikes to be aerodynamic.

Worked really well for the TWR boys with their aero wheels, and special number boards at the Canberra WC...

Bring back skinsuits, visorless helmets and those little booties that roadies wear over their cleats.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
With just a little more research they'd have seen that people just don't like BB pivots on DH bikes though, lifted the pivot and used a system like the K9, Brooklyn's slope ranger or Canfield DH bikes to remove chain growth.

I dig that they're making bikes, and I think it looks pretty cool, I just think that pivot location is a massive oversight and if the only reason it's been done is so that the bike can be run singlespeed it seems that the bike is a little confused.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I still don't mind the bike if its MRSP was $1000 less i'd give it a go. i congratulate them for doing something different and interesting, but nothing they have done is revolutionary, there are multiple carbon bikes out now, many bikes are very adjustable, but when you claim to want to make a difference in the industry, and all you do is a bb pivot carbon dh bike and claim that its aero and thus awesome, is a outhouse full of stinky ****. Out of all the options for Dh bikes to do with a clean slate and no requirements, you choose to make a $3000 concentric pivot 8" bike :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
[SUP][/SUP]
From their Facebook post:

So aerodynamics is more important than wheel path and pedaling characteristics?
Aerodynamics will move you up 5-10 places in World Cup races is same principle as Edelbrock stickers adding 15hp to any vehicle right?
I read this:
Just Van, I appreciate your opinion however the frame has been designed for functionality over looks. Even though I happen to like the way the it looks she is designed that way to be the most aero dynamic frame out. The entire front end of the frame is designed in the shape of something a virtual airfoil which actually creates a pocket of air around the object behind it. So even if our frame is a 1% more efficient than all other frames, the added efficiency would increase your position in an average World Cup between five and ten places. So you see the overall shape is secondary to us and functionality is the most important thing

Now I'm done this thread. They are idiots it sounds like. Really? That is so minimalistic on downhill bikes and there are waayyyyy to many other factors to take into consideration. That frame may not match certain riders, some riders may like the feel of other suspension or bikes etc (v-10, demo 8, zerode, m9, etc etc etc...)