Quantcast

Moses high on psychedelic drugs when he heard God

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This just in....

*edit: Hey, JBP.. do you remember that punk kid Moses? You prolly said that lil stoner wouldnt amount to squat, huh?

Moses was high on drugs: Israeli researcher
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080304120710.ad7gm7i6&show_article=1

High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This is the best news article I've read in a long time.

So basically the bible was the original Refer Madness.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I could have guess, with all that long hair & wearing sandals all the time. Plus "burning bush" sounds like a slang termfor some kind of drug use or venereal disease.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Actually, it's pretty well known that "burning bush" was Moses finally making it with a real redhead. As you might guess, back then in that part of the world, those chicks were rare and gave divine orgasms.