Quantcast

Mosque at ground zero...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I like to think of myself as a fairly open-minded guys, (except when it comes to jews, asians and puerto ricans of course)

But this whole thing about the mosque at ground zero. ....isn't that just being overly politically correct for its own sake? Was there a mosque there before? What is the point, other than to prove JUST HOW MUCH "we" don't blame Muslims?

While the perpetrators were acting cough cough...."somewhat outside" the norms of Muslim teachings, they were trying to represent their slant on Muslimity....however twisted it may have been.

So what is being accomplished by building a mosque where one wasn't before? Shouldn't whatever goes there exist to make the families of the victims feel better, rather than to prove just how inclusive "we" are?

And yes I am sure there were some "true" muslims that were killed too. But I'm sure there were catholics, protestants, jews, buddhists, jehova's witnesses, mormons and scientologists too. Are they going to build a church for all of them too?

I think this just goes to show that Toshi is a racist.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I heard a discussion about this the other day (bill maher, I think, maybe?) where it was pointed out that not only is the mosque two blocks away from "ground zero", but within the same two block radius is a strip club and an "adult" book store. IMHO this is a non-issue.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
where it was pointed out that not only is the mosque two blocks away from "ground zero", but within the same two block radius is a strip club and an "adult" book store.
maybe if they frequented these these two places more often afterward it might take the edge of the urge to blow themselves up?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I have no problem with this. It's being built by private funds, and so your only real complaint would be "Some nutjobs associated with your religion killed people here. We're going to punish all of you". I can't imagine that you'd say the same thing about a Christian church 2 blocks away from the Oklahoma City federal building...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I have no problem with this. It's being built by private funds, and so your only real complaint would be "Some nutjobs associated with your religion killed people here. We're going to punish all of you".
if it meets code, i can't see any legal issue, even if it's in poor taste. obviously, this calls for a bbq joint on one side, temple on another, women's shelter on a third, and round it all off w/ day care center that caters to adopted kids of gay families.

i'm sure this fulfills some "prophecy", and will be reported on the pages of the final call in coming weeks
I can't imagine that you'd say the same thing about a Christian church 2 blocks away from the Oklahoma City federal building...
true; i don't believe anyone would say that.
but, i think you mean lab & not christian church, as mcveigh said "science is my religion", and believed in natural law. he was not a professing christian, or at least was not influenced by a perverse view of its tenets. re-writing history is beneath us

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the usual hit parade of protester placard gold

can't you jump on one of the free wifi's in the terminal?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the church needs to go on another media blitz w/ papal trading cards

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sure. The church is as guilty of at least as many crimes against humanity as Islam. I'm just wondering how much hypocrisy is involved here and if these same people screaming about a mosque near ground zero would be as upset if it were a Cathedral near a grade school.
Good point.

Had to make you explain where you were going with that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
http://www.thepeoplescube.com/current-truth/no-mosque-at-ground-zero-protest-6-6-10-t5426.html

you just knew this was going to happen
looks like a tbagger rally.

oh wait, *it is*

This part is pretty funny.

Americans always welcome all kinds of ethnic and religious minorities as individuals - as long as they embrace the American ideas of liberty, equal rights, and tolerance.

But if such people reject American values, forfeit their individuality, and join a destructive and deceptive cult that is antithetical to liberty, equal rights, and tolerance toward others - they also forfeit their right to be tolerated by Americans. They are no longer welcome.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
maybe let a woman in every once in awhile....

don't look....don't look....don't look.......sh*t....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Bump, because this seems to be a hot issue in the news.

Question for those that oppose this: Since it's not actually at ground zero but a couple blocks away, what would be an acceptable distance from ground zero to build a mosque? Three blocks? Five? Fifteen?

I'm not big on symbolism, but I generally agree with MMike's original post. However, I can't come up with a logical answer the question I just asked, so I guess I can't really oppose it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think Harry Reid is a huge pussy for not supporting religious freedom (as Obama did, if only unwillingly).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think Harry Reid is a huge pussy for not supporting religious freedom (as Obama did, if only unwillingly).
Pussy, or politically savvy?
This is just the type of sh*t that will put a Sarah Palin in the White House, and Obama needs to tread carefully, whether he's right or wrong.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:stupid:
Well, the Dems are caving again. Fvcking pussies. :twitch:

Pussy, or politically savvy?
This is just the type of sh*t that will put a Sarah Palin in the White House, and Obama needs to tread carefully, whether he's right or wrong.
Only if by political savvy you mean naked self interest. If the Dems keep capitulating on everything they are just handing over the keys any way.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, why don't we kill every German-American, or at least deport them? Same goes with the Japanese and Italians.

And if I remember correctly, the British invaded our country in 1812. Anyone who speaks English, outski!

Muslims died when the WTC came down and only a few thousand Taliban exist out of millions of Muslims.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
This is just another silly argument in a tradtion of August in Washington. End of summer, no Congress in session, little news, every little thing gets amplified.

Mosque near WTC? So what? If a person who is Muslim happened to mutter a prayer as he or she walked by the chain link fence at actual WTC site, is that offensive? What about the priest who stood on that site and gave a Christian memorial?

Why is the Federal government and President weighing in? Isn't that site privately owned? If they sell it to a pimp and turn it into a whore house, so what? Where's that Republican support of the Constitution they love to bend to suit their agenda? Doesn't it specifically seperate Church and State? Stay the fvck out, this isn't a political issue.

How close is the nearest Baptist Church to the former Murrah Building? Relevant? hell no.

Politics and religion. Two silliest things I know.

President swimming in the Gulf? Who cares? Charlie Rangle a thief and crook, Maxine Waters practicing nepitism? Find a pol who doesn't!

Fvck em all, let God sort em out and hope she strikes them all down!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Bump, because this seems to be a hot issue in the news.

Question for those that oppose this: Since it's not actually at ground zero but a couple blocks away, what would be an acceptable distance from ground zero to build a mosque? Three blocks? Five? Fifteen?

I'm not big on symbolism, but I generally agree with MMike's original post. However, I can't come up with a logical answer the question I just asked, so I guess I can't really oppose it.
Really!!!???!!...you seem like you've got a head on you're shoulders....but really????

This is an issue for you? It's bullsh*t....and Mmke can't comment. He's Canadian...