Quantcast

Mosque at ground zero...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This is one of those things that I wouldn't oppose, but also shouldn't have to. If acceptance as a moderate religion (cue Silver: "oxymoron") is the goal of this particular congregation, they never would have pursued the community center in this location to begin with, rattling the cage of the pea-brained rhino that is American xenophobic nationalism. By even pursuing this, let alone pushing ahead despite immediate backlash, they're only confirming for the wingnuts that Muslims are bent on "taking over."

Honestly, it is stupid, in poor taste, and counterproductive. So while I'm not convinced this is some plot to use our constitution against us, or a purposeful insult to America, it does reconfirm my belief that everyone involved in organized religion is collossal idiot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is one of those things that I wouldn't oppose, but also shouldn't have to. If acceptance as a moderate religion (cue Silver: "oxymoron") is the goal of this particular congregation, they never would have pursued the community center in this location to begin with, rattling the cage of the pea-brained rhino that is American xenophobic nationalism. By even pursuing this, let alone pushing ahead despite immediate backlash, they're only confirming for the wingnuts that Muslims are bent on "taking over."

Honestly, it is stupid, in poor taste, and counterproductive. So while I'm not convinced this is some plot to use our constitution against us, or a purposeful insult to America, it does reconfirm my belief that everyone involved in organized religion is collossal idiot.
There are thousands of Muslims in NYC.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
To be fair, of the entire 16 or so floors of the building 2 are for prayer and the remainder are a cultural center. I see no problem with it being 16 floors of mosque or 1 floor.

I also have no problem with a church and synagogue being 2 blocks away even though I find all of it to be superstitious tribal nonsense.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
We need to tweak the Haters gonna hate meme to show pics of stupid people with placards with Frothers gonna Froth text.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The dude's from tennysee. He probably had a big smelly guy in a hand made muscle shirt with faggy nascar goatee hovering over him when he typed that.
well that's not that bad.....it was just proven over the weekend that a nascar fan is just a little bit smarter than the average baja fan.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007

I couldn't agree more

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/nyregion/14mosque.html

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pea-brained rhino that is American xenophobic nationalism
See, this part of it gets me.

Is it a little insensitive? Sure. Is it begging for a backlash? Yep. Were there better places to locate this? Absolutely.

But in the end, I can't manage to feel anything but contempt for the ignorant masses who belong to the quoted bit above and thus I have a hard time entertaining any discussion against the mosque.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
well that's not that bad.....it was just proven over the weekend that a nascar fan is just a little bit smarter than the average baja fan.
It's strictly a matter of security. Take down a couple fences and as soon the the stock car got up to 180, a yokel with a beer and a Tap Out wifebeater would pop up in the back seat "Punch it dude!"

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I find it funny that people are actually bitching over this nonsense.. who cares.... the Pentagon has a mosque in it.... lol

anyhow... i don't see anyone bitching and screaming that NYC has had a Huge Hole in it going on 10 years....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
This only matters to the Americans who think that "they" hit us on 9/11, and now "they" want to build a mosque there. It's the dumbfvck teabaggers who were manipulated by GWB into thinking that all 1.2 billion people are some homogeneous borg-like entity who are guided by some evil mastermind living somewhere in the Middle East, and we have to fight "them" over there because otherwise we'll have to fight "them" here. Unfortunately, according to CNN or Fox, either 68% or 64% of Americans fit into that category...

What's most telling is that when a poll was done in NYC about this issue, the highest disapproval rate for the Mosque was in Staten Island, ie rich white conservatives, and the lowest disapproval rate was in Manhattan itself, the borough that was *actually* attacked on 9/11.

Go figure.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I love that the same people who have such a boner for the constitution lately are against this. They seem to forget that pesky part of the bill of rights where the gov isn't supposed to discriminate against any one religion..... which amendment was that?

Oh yea the First Amendment.

Freakin idiots.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I love that the same people who have such a boner for the constitution lately are against this. They seem to forget that pesky part of the bill of rights where the gov isn't supposed to discriminate against any one religion..... which amendment was that?

Oh yea the First Amendment.

Freakin idiots.
Show me one instance where the right-wing has stood up for Constitutional rights that they didn't personally agree with...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Fair enough, I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't considered the need for evening prayers. Though I can't figure out what good a YMMA is going to do them in that neighborhood.

I'll repeat, I'm all for the mosque. I don't think it is any kind of symbol, let alone actual threat, and they are well within their rights to renovate the building for whatever purpose they choose. I just think the congregation leaders are being stupid in ignoring the reality of American politics and temperament right now. So yes, I'm arguing that they should bow to ignorance, but only because I think there are better approaches to eliminating it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'll repeat, I'm all for the mosque. I don't think it is any kind of symbol, let alone actual threat, and they are well within their rights to renovate the building for whatever purpose they choose. I just think the congregation leaders are being stupid in ignoring the reality of American politics and temperament right now. So yes, I'm arguing that they should bow to ignorance, but only because I think there are better approaches to eliminating it.
Why are you so racist? The Muslims didn't do anything to you.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Fair enough, I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't considered the need for evening prayers. Though I can't figure out what good a YMMA is going to do them in that neighborhood.

I agree with your racism too. It is good, sound racism.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

So, in the biggest "fvck you" city in the world, you think that Muslims need to be extra sensitive to the feelings of the standard American retard with every action they take? If they were serious about that, they'd have to kill themselves, or bomb an abortion clinic. There's not much else they are going to be able to do, you know?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So, in the biggest "fvck you" city in the world, you think that Muslims need to be extra sensitive to the feelings of the standard American retard with every action they take?
Yes. The world's not fair. You'll get farther by managing stupidity indirectly than confronting it, especially when stupidity happens to be in charge.

Maybe I'm jaded because I'm finally leaving the world of consulting, where I've spent 6 years figuring out ways, from a subordinate position, to get powerful idiots to understand and adapt to things they don't like.

The Muslims didn't do anything to you.
Bull****. My buddy Payman, a MUSLIM, definitely got me, a JEW, so drunk this one time that I left a stream of vomit from my buddy Josh's couch, across his floor, and into the side of his kitchen sink that didn't have the garbage disposal. Josh, a CHRISTIAN, then had to scoop the vomit from one side of the sink to the other with a ladle to clean the whole mess up.

I'm pretty sure this is an apt metaphor for the state of the world.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yes. The world's not fair. You'll get farther by managing stupidity indirectly than confronting it, especially when stupidity happens to be in charge.

Maybe I'm jaded because I'm finally leaving the world of consulting, where I've spent 6 years figuring out ways, from a subordinate position, to get powerful idiots to understand and adapt to things they don't like.
The problem is that you're dealing here with retards that are unsatisfiable, short of complete genocide of the Muslim population of the universe.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bull****. My buddy Payman, a MUSLIM, definitely got me, a JEW, so drunk this one time that I left a stream of vomit from my buddy Josh's couch, across his floor, and into the side of his kitchen sink that didn't have the garbage disposal. Josh, a CHRISTIAN, then had to scoop the vomit from one side of the sink to the other with a ladle to clean the whole mess up.

See what happens when you build frat houses on the sacred grounds of higher education institutions?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't know if I should post this in here or in the "long term tactics" thread, but on the way home I either followed manimal or the people silver is talking about. Some guy driving a beat up land cruiser had 2 homemade 8x11 signs in his rear window that said, and I'm paraphrasing cause I couldn't get close enough to take a picture, "YOU ELECTED A PRESIDENT THATS TRYING TO BECOME KING!!!!!" and "WE ARE AT WAR WITH RADICAL ISLAM AND NOW THEY WANT TO BUILD A MOSQUE WERE THEY ATTACKED US!!!!!"

Christ on a crutch.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Hah, where do you live? I don't see much of that here in the actual city that had its ass shot out from under it. Most people are flummoxed by the amount of attention this is getting.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I don't know if I should post this in here or in the "long term tactics" thread, but on the way home I either followed manimal or the people silver is talking about. Some guy driving a beat up land cruiser had 2 homemade 8x11 signs in his rear window that said, and I'm paraphrasing cause I couldn't get close enough to take a picture, "YOU ELECTED A PRESIDENT THATS TRYING TO BECOME KING!!!!!" and "WE ARE AT WAR WITH RADICAL ISLAM AND NOW THEY WANT TO BUILD A MOSQUE WERE THEY ATTACKED US!!!!!"

Christ on a crutch.
Note the "they".... Makes them instantly recognizable.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hah, where do you live? I don't see much of that here in the actual city that had its ass shot out from under it. Most people are flummoxed by the amount of attention this is getting.
Unfortunately, Colorado Springs CO. It would be a great town if it wasn't the center of the religious right/teabagger universe. The guy in question actually represents the majority attitude here. Hence my custom location.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Right, well, your neighbors should have plenty of time to load up and take aim when the killer Muslim hoards come pouring out of the Ground Zero Terror Mosque, Allah-bent on blowing up your libraries or whatever out there and fist pumping when King Obama proclaims Christianity and pulled pork sandwiches illegal.

I'll be here. I'll PM you when it happens.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Right, well, your neighbors should have plenty of time to load up and take aim when the killer Muslim hoards come pouring out of the Ground Zero Terror Mosque, Allah-bent on blowing up your libraries or whatever out there and fist pumping when King Obama proclaims Christianity and pulled pork sandwiches illegal.

I'll be here. I'll PM you when it happens.
they're gonna have a portal in the mosque. and the other end is gonna be in afghanistan! fvckin' terrorists!!!