La Verne
Been thinking about putting a pressure guage on the cylinder on my press

Could get some measurements that way but

I've actually got 3 suspicious ext coils... sagz are weird

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
After contacting EXT about that, they offer to exchange the "475" under warranty.
I think it was Obtanium that used to ship their springs with a test certificate or print-out. They weren't always spot on, but they at least let you know how close they were to the printed numbers.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nice 60lbs gap between your 475 and 500 :brows:

They claim +/- 3% tolerance for their latest V2 springs which does imply possible overlap from 400lbs/in and above with the 25lbs increments...
+/- 3% is apparently quite good considering the manufacturing process so that a possible way out of this would labelling each spring with it own rate. This would be logistical nightmare on the other hand :D

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I got all mine from Brennan autosport.
He closed shop and works at Fox now.

I called suspension syndicate/ext usa they said they are going to swap out my "500" for an actual 500, which wold be really nice of them

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
You have a nice customer service in the US. Here in Europe, I contacted the head quarter in Italy since there is not even a service center here in Sweden... they told me politely to bogger off since I was not the first owner of the shock!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I guess you could. The heavier the weight, the less precise you need to be with the displacement measurement.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I remember building a spring checker using a 500kg loadcell and a hydraulic press cos I'm a damn nerd, but if you have access to a suspension tuner with a dyno they should be able to rig a way to check the spring pretty easy as well.

I wonder if any hydraulic presses have accurate enough force gauges to measure a spring on that alone? I suppose at worse it could be used to compare one spring vs another without a quantitative measurement.