Quantcast

Most exotic/interesting place you've ever been?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ragin-sagin said:
Good stuff to see here in NZ...lots of it reminds me of the PNW, just less, errr....logged.
I would very much agree, esp. the west coast of the south island... (Don't get me started posting NZ pics, heh...)

MD

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
I spent 2 weeks in Japan. Afterwards I promised myself someday I'd spend at least 2 years there. One of those life altering experiences, I'd post pics if I could load them from my hard drive.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Yeah, rideit has ridden in cooler places, the only place I've ridden out of the country was Bracknell, UK. I'm planning to ride in Taiwan this summer.

I think I've been to ~35-40 of the 50 sates and been to ~25 or so countries.

Coolest things I've seen:

Great Wall of China
Mt. Fuji at sunset
South of France (anytime)
Hong Kong
Rock of Gibralter
Guinness Brewery in Dublin
Amsterdam
Pompeii

The list goes on and on, should do a ton of international travel this year. May go to Dubai in a week or two if things work out.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Heidi said:
I really enjoyed Valbonne, France. Hell, I have enjoyed every foreign place I've been. All of them have been for riding!
Valbonne?!?!? Whoa? didn't expect to see that - I love Valbonne. I spent a week there in October of 99. Very cool place.

I've been kinda all over - grew up in Hawaii - been to every state except Alaska, Iowa, New Mexico and N Dakota. Been all over Europe, a bit in S America and am currently writing this from Beijing - my last stop in a 3 week round the world tour. Here's a photo from my hotel room on Kowloon, Hong Kong

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
If you look directly out the window there, straight across the bay you'll see my hotel. After a week in the crap hole of the Shinagawa Prince Hotel in Tokyo, the week in the Hong Kong Grand Hyatt was a dream:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Austin Bike said:
If you look directly out the window there, straight across the bay you'll see my hotel. After a week in the crap hole of the Shinagawa Prince Hotel in Tokyo, the week in the Hong Kong Grand Hyatt was a dream:

Are you there now? I was at the Sheraton Kowloon. Nice hotel, great location.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I miss Hong Kong...haven't been there for 10 years. My sister lives there now...works for some Japanese bank. I loved taking the ferry between HK and Kowloon. Hong Kong reminds me of New York just built up against the mountains. super blade runnerish.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Five said:
Are you there now? I was at the Sheraton Kowloon. Nice hotel, great location.
Nope, that was only a week.

I will be going to asia a lot this year, however. Probably hit Taipei and Seoul a lot, Beijing, Tokyo, Shanghi and Singapore as well, but less often.

Taipei has a group of mountain bikers and I plan to get in some miles while I am there on business.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Austin Bike said:
Thailand is great - the best food in the world, even the stuff you buy from vendors in the street is awesome.
Hookers are only like $8 too.:rofl:

I had a good time there, and the food was excellent. There were a few things I didnt like, like frenchmen walking around with little boys and stuff, and all the flies and near dead people on the streets, and the traffic and the heat and the smell. But other than that it was cool. I watched some bootlegged DVDs, got to rip a chickens head off and drink some cobra blood and whiskey...

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
narlus said:
prague is close to, if not the, coolest city i've been to.
Prague was awesome, as was amsterdam.

Most exotic though? Did 2 weeks in Nepal when I was about 8, that was amazing, along with 4.5 years in Tokyo and 6 months in Bankok, Thailand. I liked China and Costa Rica a lot too. I'd really love to do New Zealand or Australia next though. I hear croatia is cool too.

Costa.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Austin Bike said:
Thailand is great - the best food in the world, even the stuff you buy from vendors in the street is awesome.

God Thailand was awesome. That 6 months of my life was like a half year vacation, full on tropical weather everyday, slammin food everywhere, and everything is so cheap. I can't wait to go back.

Singapore and Malaysia were def cool too. I wish I made it to India and Vietnam while I was over there though.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Oh, man, I forgot about Amsterdam. Been there 4-5 times and I would go back in a second. Actually, I think I'll try to find a way to sneak it into my next euro business trip.

The best indomesian food in A-dam is Puri Mas. Check it out if you are ever there.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Bicyclist said:
One time I went to Texas. Does that count as exotic?
Depends on where in Texas.

Seville, Spain is a great city. I could spend a summer there. There's a bunch of great little restaurants along the river with unbelieveable white fish. My wife freaked out because they left the heads on.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Going to China/Hong Kong/Japan have been the most intresting and exotic places Ive been.

When we were in HK we took a day trip to a town called Aberdeen. Walking around we found a cemetary. It was sorta creepy... we werent sure if we should be there.. let alone taking pictures.. I took this...

When I got back to the states we looked up HK island on Google and found the cemetary... look how large it is....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Since my step-dad's from New Zealand, I've been fortunate to have visited there twice. Once just after he and my mom married to meet his family (man, are they a great group of people) and stayed for two weeks, then again with my youngest brother and stayed for six months. I'd really like to go back. However, my new favorite "out-of-country" place to visit is a little fishing town called Rocky Point (aka Puerto Penasco), Mexico. Granted, my family has been going there for about 25+ years, and have now taken over the Remax real estate brokerage there. The main reason is that the developer of their new office building has named the office building "Placita Alaina", has some pull with the government and got the street number to be Alaina's b-day (814), AND was able to have the side street it's on named after Alaina. I think I want to buy one of the remaining offices just to live there.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've been to some cool places around southeast Asia... Am currently living in Seoul, so it's easier to travel from here than it is back in Van.

Saipan

Japan: Fukuoka and Osaka

Hong Kong

Thailand

Korea

Austin Bike: drop me a line when you come to Seoul! Can hook you up with some trails, and a bike if you don't bring yours.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
zahgurim said:
Austin Bike: drop me a line when you come to Seoul! Can hook you up with some trails, and a bike if you don't bring yours.

Definitely. Looks like Taipei, Seoul, Beijing, HK and some other stops this year. Someone is joining my team who is Korean and can speak the language, and the business is booming big time, so I will definitely be there.

Last time I landed ~4:30 in the morning from Hong Kong, and all I can say is NEVER go drinking with the Australians if you have a midnight flight to catch. And if you do, don't start drinking at 4 in the afternoon.

Ouch.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Austin Bike said:
all I can say is NEVER go drinking with the Australians if you have a midnight flight to catch. And if you do, don't start drinking at 4 in the afternoon.

Ouch.
i heard if you try that stuff w/ VB or partsy you wake up w/ a sore arse.