Quantcast

Most Ideal Fork...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Right now I am riding a 04 Sinister DNA with a 2004 Dirt Jumper 1. The frame is amazing, I couldent be happier. However I do not like my DJ1. I like a stiff fork, so I have to run air. With me running air I only get 1.5 inches of travel on the most extreme hits (Say overshooting a huge double i might get 1.5 inches topps) This just does not work well with the wrists and with an already slack Head Angle of the DNA it slackens it more. Ideally I would like an 80mm fork, because If I can do alright with a 1.5" fork, 3 inches certainly wont hurt me. I will also steepen the head angle creating a much nimbler bike. I have two options. I have been talking with a friend and he offerd to sell me an 80mm Fox 36 Dirt Jumper (Dont ask, its custom) or a 2004 80mm Sherman Jumper. The jumper is in good condition and is $250 shipped. The 36 I am assuming is around $300. On this bike I plan to Dirt Jump alot, ride street as well as skateparks, race DS and 4x, and occasinally trail ride it for fun as a change from my dh bike. I weight 155-160 and I am relatively smooth but I dont want a fork that will combust on me.

Any suggestions?

(Ps. Im a whore so a plus to the 36 is it matches the 40 and pushed RC on my DHR so I can have a lovely FOX family:nopity: )

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Thanks, Adam. I personally HAVE ridden a 36 and loved it FOR TRAIL RIDING, however it's super plush and it has an annoying ammount of play. For dirt jumping I would look at the Sherman or a Pike slammed to 90mm.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Bicyclist said:
Thanks, Adam. I personally HAVE ridden a 36 and loved it FOR TRAIL RIDING, however it's super plush and it has an annoying ammount of play. For dirt jumping I would look at the Sherman or a Pike slammed to 90mm.
I can almost promise you it will not have play and it will be very stiff...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've been running a pike on my dna for a while. Just installed the firm spring and it's money now. I'm sure the sherman jumper is a great fork too because I'm running a firefly plus on my trail bike and it is awesome!

FR Dragon

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Red Bull said:
80mm Fox 36 Dirt Jumper (Dont ask, its custom)
This might be a bit off topic but, care to post pics of this Fox 36 Dirt Jumper?
I'm very interested...(or PM me)

And the Sherman Jumper or Pike seems to be the best option...

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
sherman jumpers are very stiff. the one i rode went through it's travel only on the hardest of hits. great for street riding though.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
kidwoo said:
Ya know, I tried really hard but couldn't think of a fork that does both of the following

1)doesn't move

3)gets full travel
Sorry I had a typo. :rolleyes:

I would be buying the 36 off of someone im sure you have heard of. If I do not buy the 36 I will ask him if he would sell it to you...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Red Bull said:
Sorry I had a typo. :rolleyes:

I would be buying the 36 off of someone im sure you have heard of. If I do not buy the 36 I will ask him if he would sell it to you...
I don't need a fork for my dj bike. I've got a sherman firefly I reduced the travel on. With the strength of ten good men, we stuffed the stock spring back into the thing......highly preloaded.:)

Is this 36 strait's fork? He was riding some wierd 36 contraption at our dirtjumps in reno.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
kidwoo said:
I don't need a fork for my dj bike. I've got a sherman firefly I reduced the travel on. With the strength of ten good men, we stuffed the stock spring back into the thing......highly preloaded.:)

Is this 36 strait's fork? He was riding some wierd 36 contraption at our dirtjumps in reno.
Yeah it is. But I may just get a new lighter wheelset (qr) and run a talas...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
kidwoo said:
I don't need a fork for my dj bike. I've got a sherman firefly I reduced the travel on. With the strength of ten good men, we stuffed the stock spring back into the thing......highly preloaded.:) QUOTE]
I meant that to Dragon FR silly.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
kidwoo said:
Did you get a chance to ride it? Or notice anything special?

Haha, i can never decide on stuff. I can get a qr wheelset really easily by trading my 8 tracks. So thats not a problem anymore. However there arent many races here out east, so I am not sure if it reallymatters that i need a light bike and i just may get the jumper or 36, depending on how much cash i get from my DJ1...

thanks guys...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I scored an older Firefly today with the thru axle. Is there an easy step-by-step way to reduce the travel posted online anywheres...