Quantcast

Most important athlete of all-time?

jedione12

Chimp
May 11, 2005
There was an interesting read in playboy's june issue where they interviewed Lance Armstrong, mentioning him as possibly being the most important athlete of all-time. I guess I never really thought of him like that before, but after reading through, this guy overcame 12 tumors, goes on to win the Tour de France 6 times in a row, and helped raise close to $40 million for cancer by selling those simple yellow bracelets for $1 each...he has my vote.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is?

Chris P.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jedione12 said:
There was an interesting read in playboy's june issue where they interviewed Lance Armstrong, mentioning him as possibly being the most important athlete of all-time. I guess I never really thought of him like that before, but after reading through, this guy overcame 12 tumors, goes on to win the Tour de France 6 times in a row, and helped raise close to $40 million for cancer by selling those simple yellow bracelets for $1 each...he has my vote.

Chris P.
This guy is the most important athlete of all time:

He did some *serious* $hit. :thumb:

-S.S.-

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
jedione12 said:
<snip>

Chris P.
He left his wife for Cheryl Crow.
"Gee, honey ... now that I'm all better and famous, I really don't wan't to deal with you and our three kids. But thanks for being there during the tuff times. Cya"

I know, I don't know all the specifics - but that's just low character imo.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
BuddhaRoadkill said:
He left his wife for Cheryl Crow.
"Gee, honey ... now that I'm all better and famous, I really don't wan't to deal with you and our three kids. But thanks for being there during the tuff times. Cya"

I know, I don't know all the specifics - but that's just low character imo.
Didn't she leave him...? because he kept moving from US to europe and back...and then wasn't with her for 9 months out of the year..?
(and i've said it before, and i'll say it again: he could have done better than Chery Crow)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dog Welder said:
The black guy who won the sprint during the Munich Olympic games...essentialy giving Hitler the big F U to his Master Race theory
Uh, dude, uh, his name, is, like, Jesse Owens...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dexterq20 said:
Reinhold Messner.
the author guy?

dude smells REALLY bad when he comes to town. he needs to invest in a bar of soap sometime...(this is coming from someone who showers rarely and wears the same pants for days on end...)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
any athlete that helped breakdown social barriers is more important than Lance, but Lance ranks way up there for being an inspiration to sick (especially cancer) people everywhere as well as creating the LAF.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
LordOpie said:
any athlete that helped breakdown social barriers is more important than Lance, but Lance ranks way up there for being an inspiration to sick (especially cancer) people everywhere as well as creating the LAF.
Wow that's way to well thought out to be coming from Opie, someone hijack your account?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Skookum said:
Wow that's way to well thought out to be coming from Opie, someone hijack your account?
Yes, I 'jacked his account!

Signed,
N8

PS: Oh, loco helped me and wants to say, "...way [too] well..."

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Messner is prb the most hardass man to walk the planet. He has climbed all 28 8000meter peaks WITHOUT oxygen. The man is insane. I wouldnt call him the most important but I dont think anyone can possible compare to that.

My vote goes for Mike Tyson, he broke down the former thug, crackhead, un-educated but im still super wealthy barrier for all present athletes. He also perfected the biting technique in boxing which is somewhat deadly these days.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
I have to say Terry Fox, Canadian runner who started running across Canada for Cancer research. He had one leg and took it upon himself with no funding to do it. Because of his efforts, I think over $100 million has been raised for Cancer research here in Canada.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
biker3 said:
My vote goes for Mike Tyson, he broke down the former thug, crackhead, un-educated but im still a thug and crackhead who goes to jail eventho he's super rich.
fixed... and lay off the crack biker3

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
biker3 said:
Messner is prb the most hardass man to walk the planet. He has climbed all 28 8000meter peaks WITHOUT oxygen. The man is insane. I wouldnt call him the most important but I dont think anyone can possible compare to that.
What about the gnarly Nepalese sherpas that help out the Americans and Europeans? Those dudes regularly climb those 25,000 foot + mountains carrying all the rich guy's stuff.