Quantcast

Most over rated and underated frame.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
DH biker said:
Haha I found a Leet conveerter online:
G1A/\/7 g3+$ |\/|y VO73 pHO|2 |_||\||)3R|2/-\7ED. ThEy |\/|@k3 E\/3|2y+h|/\/g 1N hO|_|53- +h4+ I/\/(|_\_/|)E$ WE@V1|\|g Th3!R O\/\/|\| (4|280/\/ 7|_|8E5 A|\||) pH|24ME5. G1A|\|7 /-\(+|_|ALLy pR0|)UC3$ |\/|O$7 CyCL1|\|g-RELA7ED C/-\R|3ON ST\_/pHF pE|2!0|). G|/-\N7 4L$O 533M5 70 B3 Ch3@pE|2 @/\/|) OF 51M![]_/-\R qUA|_ITy (OMp@|23|) 7O O7h3R T4|W4|\|3SE (0|\/|p4/\/|ES.

M@D3 |N USA D035 /\/OT M3@|\| WhA7 !7 \_/S3|) TO... I/\/ OU|2 ShOp WE (/-\|2Ry g/-\Ry FISh3|2 AN|) gI4N7 @$ OU|2 MA!|\| |3|24ND5, A|\||) g1/-\N+ h@5 (O|\|$I7E|\|T|_y |33T73|2 |3|_|1[]_D$ AND g375 AL[]_ Th3 pA|2+S I/\/ ThE |21ghT 80X35. g4|2y F!5hE|2 |)0E5 |\|0T- \/\/E g3+ |3|k35 M|$5||\|g \/\/3|_D5 0N C@8|_3 +AB5. /-\[]_S0 Th3 C/-\kE$ g3+ LO0$E p|\/0T$ AN|) g@|2y |=I$h3R T3LL5 U5 7O "|_0Ck+|73 +h3 BE@RI|\|gS |3@(k !|\|T0 7h3 pH|2@|\/|3". 5(4Ry.
That's freakin' awesome! I got a raging headache after the 1st sentence...

This whole thread is BS and is pissing me off. What a waste.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Did anybody get the Bicycle Retailer with the map of all of the big bicycle manufacturers showing the origins of their bikes? Pretty interesting. I wish I had that right now.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I don;t own a cannondale but being an engineer, there is no friggen way they are overrated. Just look at the prophet or lefty fork. Cannondale is the epity of light weight engineered frames. Others talk **** they do it.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
underrated: all of ironhorse's line up. Turner's built quality. hayes, hope and magura. sram. maxxis. oury grips. azonic outlaw wheels.
crackandfail(cannondale, much much better then they used to be), custom shock tuning(push, avy, marz)

overrated: Linear rails, vpp and faux bar

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
klunky said:
Mr Joe Taiwan welds a frame incorrectly he might not care. He has welded 15 frames up already that day and so what if one of them is a little bit squint - like anyone will notice and like it will affect him anyway.
I think the mind set that made in Taiwan means they are lower quality is funny. Its like people think that these asians guys sit around and just build crap because its going to America.
I've never been there but some friends and co-workers have been there for business reasons and say you don't understand the pressure these guys have to perform. Not just in numbers, but in quality. If they can't get quality and fast, there is 10 guys waiting to take his job. If its not good quality, the customer will take their business elsewhere and the owners, managers and supervisors know this all too well. You think your boss or supervisor rides you???
If you think that a guy in Taiwan will stop caring on that 15th frame, but the guy in the US will then you've never worked in manufacturing in the US. I worked in QC for my company for 5 years and quite a few of our welders (white Americans) could give a **** less. The asian guys and to some extent the Russian/Ukrainian guys take great pride in the work they do.

klunky said:
If a company in USA send there designs to some factory in Taiwan to get there frames/bikes made there is a larger chance of things going wrong due to the assemble line being bigger.
But back on the subject and using this argument to base my opinion, I would have to say Iron Horse is over-rated. Let the flamming begin.
I base my opinion on my MKIII. Yes, it is all good now. But it took three trys to get the issues with the pivots resolved. Then the shock blew? This isn't really IH's fault but it just was one more thing to bring my opinion down and send me looking at another frame. Anyone looking for an MKIII? All new pivots/links, bearings and the shock hasn't even been installed back in the frame yet.
They alos had a this issue in the Sundays and I think the 7points.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I thought I liked my Cowan, still do, but it has been dormant for a week now; the bmx has been getting the attention.

Overrated:24 bikes, .243, Sram, Shimano, Campy.

Underated:Transition, Odyssey, Oury.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
zmtber said:
underated= haro bikes, the new ones are awsome yet i have heard somepeople call them wallmart bikes? i just don't understand

I hope you're being sarcastic because frankly that's one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. It does look gimicky and wallmarty. I'd rather rollerblade than be seen near it. Have those designers ever evn heard of proportion?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
trailhacker said:
I would have to say Iron Horse is over-rated. Let the flamming begin.
I don't like IH much either.

I'm enjoying H8Rizing in this thread. :) Fvck YOUR opinion, buddy.

Sep 10, 2001
dropmachine.com said:
Good call Brian. The 9.5 just rocks the house. I have a Rotec on the way too, can't wait to see it. If it doesnt' work out, i'm just going back to the 9.5 and calling it a day.

Have you riddent he RL9? How do they compare?
I sat on the RL9 Sully had at the show... It felt right, much like my 9.5 did. I also like the overall look of the bike. Would love to get my hands on one for a true test ride. But, since I've doing less DH, my Sin will be my DH bike for a while..

Brian

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Everyone will get defensive once their bike gets labelled "over-rated". If someone were to say Nicolai frames were over-rated I'd get pretty pissed just because I own one...unless they had some serious facts behind them.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
S.G.D said:
im willing to guess you dont ride one.

i'll let you try my 224, you'll change your mind.
maybe, but i dont know if i will ever get my hands on a test ride of a bike that is worth so much $$$$$

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
Brian Peterson said:
I sat on the RL9 Sully had at the show... It felt right, much like my 9.5 did. I also like the overall look of the bike. Would love to get my hands on one for a true test ride. But, since I've doing less DH, my Sin will be my DH bike for a while..

Brian
Rode The RL9 at Deer Valley, its a nice ride. Pedals well and the intergrated hopey is a nice touch. You should be happy with it.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
trailhacker said:
I think the mind set that made in Taiwan means they are lower quality is funny. Its like people think that these asians guys sit around and just build crap because its going to America.
I've never been there but some friends and co-workers have been there for business reasons and say you don't understand the pressure these guys have to perform. Not just in numbers, but in quality. If they can't get quality and fast, there is 10 guys waiting to take his job. If its not good quality, the customer will take their business elsewhere and the owners, managers and supervisors know this all too well. You think your boss or supervisor rides you???
If you think that a guy in Taiwan will stop caring on that 15th frame, but the guy in the US will then you've never worked in manufacturing in the US. I worked in QC for my company for 5 years and quite a few of our welders (white Americans) could give a **** less. The asian guys and to some extent the Russian/Ukrainian guys take great pride in the work they do.

But back on the subject and using this argument to base my opinion, I would have to say Iron Horse is over-rated. Let the flamming begin.
I base my opinion on my MKIII. Yes, it is all good now. But it took three trys to get the issues with the pivots resolved. Then the shock blew? This isn't really IH's fault but it just was one more thing to bring my opinion down and send me looking at another frame. Anyone looking for an MKIII? All new pivots/links, bearings and the shock hasn't even been installed back in the frame yet.
They alos had a this issue in the Sundays and I think the 7points.

Im talking from experiance. Generally I see more QC issues with Taiwan/China/Vietnam bikes than US built bikes.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Also im intrested that people think that Trek are over-rated. I have never seen anyone in the DH community do anything other than hate on Trek.
I think they are under-rated for that reason. There bikes are hardly ground-breaking for sure infact they are a bit Volvo. However they have a good build quality compared to other brands and they ride nice.
I think people hate Trek because its the cool thing to do kind of like hating Microsoft.
Other under rated products:
Easton Bars
power links
Shimano brakes
light inner tubes

Over Rated:

Crank brothers flat pedals.
Chirs King headsets.
Hope brakes.
Honda DH bike (runs for cover)
Norco

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Hmm I agree with CK components being over-rated, just a bit extreme for what my needs...

IMHO the idea of poor Taiwanese and Chinese products is from all the the low cost crap you buy thats made in the countries and just plain dosn't work...

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
Dhi is one of the most UNDERrated bikes ever built. They warranted a broken swingarm and the new one and the bike still charge after 5 seasons - 3 of them racing expert.

I do NO maintenance - My test of a good bike: Lube chain and ride with no problems ever.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
zmtber said:
i am just saying this because i feel from my experiences that the only reason why so many people like this frame is because peat useto ride it.

That's not true at all. I tried one just because I like single pivot simplicity and wanted to build a really light bike. Weighed in at 36lbs without drilling, or riding sketch light parts either. Was an awesome bike! Definately not over rated.

Over rated - I would say is the M3, gets squirrly at high speed
Under Rated - Cannondale. While I may not like their products, I would have to say that they offer an awesome product, stand behind it, and try and keep the progression of the sport going.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
How do people say Marzocchi is overrated?

To add to my list I think that the Juicy 7's are overrated and the Avid Mechanical disc brakes are underrated. Also under rated is Gazzaloddi 2.6 Tires.

Sep 10, 2001
foesjunky said:
Rode The RL9 at Deer Valley, its a nice ride. Pedals well and the intergrated hopey is a nice touch. You should be happy with it.
Yeah, if I happen to see Sully at a race, I'll be sure to hit him up for a test ride..

Brian

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Changleen said:
Over-rated: Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Ellsworth, Cove, Avalanche, SRAM family, the Evil Imperial (although the DOC is a great bike as are most of their other products), Manitou, 29", most 'high end' aluminium frames, Mountain cycle, the Horst link, 4130 (compared to all the other grades of steel availible - it is good but is used as a default far too often), Mavic Deemax wheels, V8 + V10 pedals, Hayes brakes, rootbeer, expensive headsets, Brooklyn Park Bike (a good bike, but doesn't deserve it's cult status compared to it's competition),

Under-rated: Giant, Shimano, boutique innovation, keeping it simple, good tyres, regular maintainence, good gloves, practice, rigid bikes, V-brakes.

I'll say it again: Cannondale, Trek and Gary Fisher all fvcking suck. They're really the only bike companies who I actually would rather didn't exist. Most bikes I don't 'like' I have no problem with, no negative feelings toward. For some reason the fact that these companies persist in the marketplace is a reflection on human idiocy. The lefty fork is the gheyest thing ever.

"ah whine, whine, people who don't like CD never rode one, etc. etc." No, you're wrong. They just suck really hard. Their entire design philosophy is bent.
As a Cove g-spot owner I will have to disagree with you on the Cove being over rated comment. I haven't ridden their other bikes but if they alll feel like my g-spot I would say that their reputation is well deserved. I love my bike.

Under Rated: .243 racing hard tails. I see them passed over for the more popular Evils, Specialized P series, and Azonics, though they are really a great frame.

Over Rated: Chris King headsets.

I agree that the lefty fork really is pretty gay.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
zmtber said:
maybe, but i dont know if i will ever get my hands on a test ride of a bike that is worth so much $$$$$
i can't say your wrong, but that doesn't make them overrated to ride. trust me.