Quantcast

Most over rated and underated frame.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
gnurider1080 said:
right.... ever actually used them? :rolleyes:
I have used El Caminos. Worst brakes I have ever had the displeasure to use. They squeak, the lever feels awful, and they don't stop very well at all. My hayes mech's are more powerful......

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Banshee Rider said:
Are you high?

I'm not even going to respond, I'm just going to watch Transcend rip you into a million pieces! :evil:

whats so special about orange? big ugly tubes, that super high tech single pivot suspension?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
over rated=nicolai, brooklyn, evil imperial, 24 cycles, gary fisher,endless, bullit
under rated=c'dale gemini, transition and iron horse yakuza series

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
biggins said:
over rated=endless
No love for the local boys, eh? I guess MH is a polarizing personality. Never ridden the bike, but it looks nice and I mostly agree with their philosophies. My wallet doesn't agree with their asking price, though.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
I was almost struck by lightning when I was little...I think it only made me smarter by not purchasing their 200+% marked up products

Your opinion can't be changed nor can mine.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Brunettes said:
I was almost struck by lightening when I was little...I think it only made me smarter by not purchasing their 200+% marked up products

Your opinion can't be changed nor can mine.
I know I'm just messin' with you...
BTW what headset do you use? I don't care much for I.F. bikes

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
bballe336 said:
I have used El Caminos. Worst brakes I have ever had the displeasure to use. They squeak, the lever feels awful, and they don't stop very well at all. My hayes mech's are more powerful......
Then they were set up very very badly. Seriously, your mechs were more powerful than hydros and you didn't think 'Hmmm, somethings wrong here'? :oink:

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
bballe336 said:
You my friend need to go to bike school.
I don't mean to be frank, but on every forum I see you in you have little idea of what you are talking about. You are blunt in assumptions and act before you think.

Just think; is my advice to you friend.:thumb:

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
zmtber said:
i am just saying this because i feel from my experiences that the only reason why so many people like this frame is because peat useto ride it.
i think your experiences are from when you were coked-out. I doubt you have ever ridden one, best dh bike I have ever owned and the fact that it can be under 37 pounds sets it apart from many many other bike on the market

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
El Caminos: So good, sponsored riders beg to ride a different brake. And apparantly good enough to be removed fromt he site as a DH brake, and relegated to FR and XC.

Sorry, but after watching those things in action, i'd never touch a set.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
dropmachine.com said:
El Caminos: So good, sponsored riders beg to ride a different brake. And apparantly good enough to be removed fromt he site as a DH brake, and relegated to FR and XC.

Hey, mine are working great as of now! However if they act up they will be thrown on the DNA and I will get me some saints!

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
dropmachine.com said:

Yeah, I can't figure out how to turn off the anti-lock feature that seems to be built into mine.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Overrated
Chris Kings
hardtails
SRAM
Profiles
Steel

Underrated.
Taiwanese welders
FSA
geometry
riding last years bike.
Trail riding

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
In the same post I saw Transition frames being under-rated while Nicolai frames being over-rated. That's just crazy. Transition doesn't come close to Nicolai in terms of everything! (See how people get defensive?).

Second, I don't think 'Oury' should be part of this thread...they make grips. Big deal.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
This thread is absurd, come on people its just a sweet excuse to argue with random people that may or may not know what they are talking about and maybe earn some sweet e-cred. Just go ride a bike.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
roberts said:
Dhi is one of the most UNDERrated bikes ever built. They warranted a broken swingarm and the new one and the bike still charge after 5 seasons - 3 of them racing expert.

I do NO maintenance - My test of a good bike: Lube chain and ride with no problems ever.
I like my '04 DHi and never had any problem's with it (knock on wood), I'm looking forward to getting my newly designed one.

Overrated- the $hithouse engineers and designers that frequent forums trying to explain "things".

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
over rated: opinions of dorks on the internet. the latest, greatest, trendiest stuff

under rated: riding/racing what you've got.

peace.

Sep 10, 2001
Zark said:
Overrated
hardtails
Steel
Since everybody wants to agrue....

Hardtails... I took my Rumble out for it's first trail ride since adding a DRS and front derailure... It showed my how much full suspension can spoil you... It was great fun...

Steel.. There is something to be said about the minimalist look to a well made steel frame. When compared to all the AL frames on the market today, they look like they shouldn't hold up... But they do..

That being said, I hope to be getting a steel hardtail soon...

Since we disagree, Zark must be over rated...:blah: ;) :D :evil: :thumb: But like an old Quiet Roit song says, "I really want to be over rated...."

Brian

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
King components may be overpriced but they are not overrated. Anyone who thinks a headset will make them a better rider is confused, but it's partly because of King that there are so many good options out there. And what about their hubs is overrated? They are light, durable, fully serviceable, and work great. The only thing to complain about is the price.

Overrated: Sitting at your computer telling people to go ride. :mumble:

Also overrated: Dual control, rapid rise/low normal, singlespeeds in the mountains, riding without a helmet, dissing other trail users, and shuttling your huge ass DH bike with full gear on trails people ride on XC hardtails - up and down, often faster.

Underrated (here): Road bikes, fixed gears, campy parts, and 8 hour epic rides.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Overrated - Made in the USA, expensive headsets (can you really tell the difference when riding??), Southern California, the "cool" factor of not wearing elbow pads while racing, the use of the words sick, huck, and gnarcore.

Overexposed - The North Shore

Overexposed but deserving - Whistler

Underrated - trail builders, Northern California, people who go big but don't feel the need to post pics of their every 2 ft drop on the internet

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Oh wait...this thread was supposed to be about frames. All of the pissing matches threw me off so I thought I'd try and start a few more.

So on to frames.

Over - Orange and the like (although I do like the weight). As far as Cannondale-Trek-Fisher, I'll just say that I don't know an expert and above rider that uses one unless they're paid.

Under - none really. The best get quite a bit of hype.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
MDJ said:
Overrated - ... expensive headsets (can you really tell the difference when riding??)...
Its not about feeling it when you are riding, its about not having to replace your bearings a few times a year.
I will never put anything other than a King HS on a bike. Not because bling factor, because they require no service and I still have the first one I bought in 1994 or 1995 (?) and is still as smooth as the day I bought it. I guess that means my warranty expired last year on that first one?
MDJ said:
Underrated - trail builders...
Thats what I'm talking about!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Wow, this is a first; zmtber started an interesting thread.

I don't think hardtails are overrated. They can be more fun. Riding down a trail with jaged rocks everywhere on a HT creates a challenge. I have nothing whatsoever against full suspension bikes, but some people just let the bike do the ride while they hold on for dear life. On a hartdail, you can't do that w/o crashing; you have to work the bike.

How are Mazocchi's overrated? THe reson so many people used them is becasue they are so durable for so long.