Quantcast

Most over rated and underated frame.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
This topic was made on mbuk, and I just intrested to see what the results are on a forum like this were a lot more of the member race.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
caputo1989 said:
Over rated = any connondale.
Have you even ridden a Cannondale? Since you can't even spell the company's name, I find it unlikely that you're in any kind of position to be making judgments about their bikes.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I disagree. Cannondale is one of the few companies who hand welds their DH frame right here in the US. As for the rest of their bikes, they are also made in the usa, priced competitively, come with a lifetime warentee, and are damn light. Cannondale is top notch for quality and hands down some of the best customer service here in the bike industry. If anything, I would go as far to say that cannondale is UNDERHYPED. The bad reputation they have recieved in the past (i.e cracknfail) has still stuck with them because of internet blowhards who have never owned one. Thats my .02 cents.

As for overrated. I'd have to say specialized. They bikes are overhyped, overpriced, and overseas.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
zmtber said:
i think people give orange bikes to mush credit
Are you high?

I'm not even going to respond, I'm just going to watch Transcend rip you into a million pieces! :evil:

I think KHS is under rated. they are thought of as low, b/c of they early bikes, but they just got a slow start. As for the current bikes, tell me what company makes a 6" travle four-bar linkage bike, for the same price as the FR2000, with sealed cartridge bearings at every pivot!!!

As for over rated, I think small diameter steel-tubed DJ frames are all overrated. The planet-x bommer(steel), was one of the most disapointing frames I ever owned!!!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Banshee Rider said:
Are you high?

I'm not even going to respond, I'm just going to watch Transcend rip you into a million pieces! :evil:
i am just saying this because i feel from my experiences that the only reason why so many people like this frame is because peat useto ride it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Banshee Rider said:
Are you high?

Don't forget Fraser is sponsored by them so of course he's going to tear into him.

As for my contribution to this thread...Balfa BB7s. Awesome design, nice look but over-rated when you consider the craftsmanship of fabrication.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Overrated = Super8

SC sold a lot of these. I bought one. Brand new for full retail. They had horrible pedal feedback and brake jack. You couldn't get them to not ghost shift. They all broke. They blew shocks on a regular basis. They were heavy.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
AKA the stupid 8

buildyourown said:
Overrated = Super8

SC sold a lot of these. I bought one. Brand new for full retail. They had horrible pedal feedback and brake jack. You couldn't get them to not ghost shift. They all broke. They blew shocks on a regular basis. They were heavy.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh banshee rider they do have a liftime warrenty on there frames, but weather they actually take you up on the warrenty is a different story. they have a very scrutenous test of there warrenty related frames to make sure that they meet the criteria of warrenty. they also have the worst customer service i have every had to deal with. i mean when one of the shop employees (aka:me ) knows more about the bikes than the rep there is something wrong there. so that is my 2 cents about cannondale. ohh and on top of that i really dont like there linkage of there frames. they put your weight to far over the front end and on top of that the suspension isnt a very active suspension when you look at the fsr, vpp, dw link, and the new rail system from yeti.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
dropmachine.com said:
I agree the Orange is over rated. And bloody expensive.

Whats also over rated? By a lot?

Made in the USA.
I'll take a tiwanese specialized any day
Also over rated any single pivot, to me an orange is the same as a gemini is the same as a bullit is the same as a morewood, you get my point.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
quickneonrt said:
I'll take a tiwanese specialized any day
Also over rated any single pivot, to me an orange is the same as a gemini is the same as a bullit is the same as a morewood, you get my point.

I find that any bike that has 2 wheels is prety much the same as the next, you get my point?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Over-rated: Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Ellsworth, Cove, Avalanche, SRAM family, the Evil Imperial (although the DOC is a great bike as are most of their other products), Manitou, 29", most 'high end' aluminium frames, Mountain cycle, the Horst link, 4130 (compared to all the other grades of steel availible - it is good but is used as a default far too often), Mavic Deemax wheels, V8 + V10 pedals, Hayes brakes, rootbeer, expensive headsets, Brooklyn Park Bike (a good bike, but doesn't deserve it's cult status compared to it's competition),

Under-rated: Giant, Shimano, boutique innovation, keeping it simple, good tyres, regular maintainence, good gloves, practice, rigid bikes, V-brakes.

I'll say it again: Cannondale, Trek and Gary Fisher all fvcking suck. They're really the only bike companies who I actually would rather didn't exist. Most bikes I don't 'like' I have no problem with, no negative feelings toward. For some reason the fact that these companies persist in the marketplace is a reflection on human idiocy. The lefty fork is the gheyest thing ever.

"ah whine, whine, people who don't like CD never rode one, etc. etc." No, you're wrong. They just suck really hard. Their entire design philosophy is bent.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Banshee Rider said:
I disagree. Cannondale is one of the few companies who hand welds their DH frame right here in the US.
So what? You're arguing that Americans are inherantly better at welding? That a bike welded by an employee who earns more is somehow inherantly better? Obviously not. How does this have any bearing on anything?
As for overrated. I'd have to say specialized. They bikes are overhyped, overpriced, and overseas.
Specialized produce genuine useful innovation despite their size and mass market stance, and produce bikes which actually have a bit of soul for many different styles of riding. Compared to the samey, gimicky, 1992 XC circuit inspired cr4p that comes out of Cannondale or Trek, they are a breath of fresh air.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Urban FR'er 666 said:
As for over rated, I think small diameter steel-tubed DJ frames are all overrated. The planet-x bommer(steel), was one of the most disapointing frames I ever owned!!!
DMR? 24/7? Revell? Blackmarket? Tonic? Curtis?

It's Planet X who suck, not a whole genre of bikes. Actually Planet X don't even suck that badly, they're just sturdy cheap bikes that somehow have a better reputation in the US than they deserve. In the UK where they are from, they are regarded as the bottom end of the market.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Overrated=Kona Stinky
Underrated=Soul Cycles new bikes... I know everyone hates them becasue they look like say an imp or a scrath but they are nice bikes...
Also underrated is Banshee.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Changleen said:
So what? You're arguing that Americans are inherantly better at welding? That a bike welded by an employee who earns more is somehow inherantly better? Obviously not. How does this have any bearing on anything?
Specialized produce genuine useful innovation despite their size and mass market stance, and produce bikes which actually have a bit of soul for many different styles of riding. Compared to the samey, gimicky, 1992 XC circuit inspired cr4p that comes out of Cannondale or Trek, they are a breath of fresh air.

Exactly.....

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Changleen said:

In my experiance USA built frames are better quality.

If a company in USA send there designs to some factory in Taiwan to get there frames/bikes made there is a larger chance of things going wrong due to the assemble line being bigger.

Mr Joe Taiwan welds a frame incorrectly he might not care. He has welded 15 frames up already that day and so what if one of them is a little bit squint - like anyone will notice and like it will affect him anyway.

Mr Joe USA if he welds the frame incorrectly its probably going to end up back on his desk being asked why.

Also you think the horst link is over rated yet you love specialized?

Sep 10, 2001
Under rated, Mountain Cycle and Rotec. I loved my 9.5, and the new RL9 is one of the few bikes that I would consider to replace it. Both of these companies suffer from the stigma of what they use to be..

Brian

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Brain and that is why I dont understand why they havent done as Toyota did and created a new subname with Lexus. Well the bike industry has not always been spoild with great strategic thinkers.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Over-rated: Made in the USA. The only frame I ever broke was welded in the USA, all my other frames have been Tiawanese. Cannondale blows. E-hate me all you want but I just hate their products for the most part. The Judge looks decent but come on, cable-actuated hydraulic disc brakes and Headshoks? They suck. I personally think Avy is over-rated because it's heavy and no platform, exact opposite of what I want. And 40 degree head angles and 10" bbs suck. Manitou sucks in the experiences I've had with them. Fox TALAS/Vanilla/Float for DJ use. Maxxis tires. Azonic Steelhead, it breaks easily.

Under-rated: Specialized. Ride a Demo 8 and tell me otherwise. Horst link, I've ridden both SP and horst and I can say Horst link blows SP away for what I'm looking for. Evil DOC, it's cheap and awesome. Rigid/Old school XC bikes, 7-speed, Reynolds 853, steep head angles, Marzocchi MX series forks because they blow Fox away for DJing, square taper cranks, old school Shimano clipless pedals.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Over rated: the newest thing. I remember I used to care a lot more about haveing what was "best" on my bike; then I'd get the "best" part and it felt just a little different, one time even worse. I think Mountain Bike Action is to blame for this, that mag is more about buying and fueling a consumer society than riding.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
klunky said:
In my experiance USA built frames are better quality.

If a company in USA send there designs to some factory in Taiwan to get there frames/bikes made there is a larger chance of things going wrong due to the assemble line being bigger.

Mr Joe Taiwan welds a frame incorrectly he might not care. He has welded 15 frames up already that day and so what if one of them is a little bit squint - like anyone will notice and like it will affect him anyway.

Mr Joe USA if he welds the frame incorrectly its probably going to end up back on his desk being asked why.

Also you think the horst link is over rated yet you love specialized?
I have found that high end Taiwan frames are at least as well crafted as US made frames. Some domestic frames have sloppier welds and less attention to detail. Cannondale frames are terrible (found a hole filled with bondo in one frame I had when I stripped it for new paint, Cdale said not to worry about it, it happens) even some of the Foes, Intense and Turner frames I've owned have had trouble comparing to, say, a high end Specialized. I'm talking about small things like clean welds, proper alignment, clean links & hardware, pc or paint finish, frame prep, etc.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Over Rated- Shimano, Specialized, Marzocchi, Avalanche, Hope, Avid brakes.

Under Rated- Giant, Manitou, Magura.

Sep 10, 2001
CBJ said:
Brain and that is why I dont understand why they havent done as Toyota did and created a new subname with Lexus. Well the bike industry has not always been spoild with great strategic thinkers.
Probably because the market just isn't big enough to support it...

Brian

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
How can anyone say that square taper cranks are under rated? I have gone through 4 pairs in as many years. So now I am going profile for DJ, Isis for DH, and square taper for my commuter.

Under rated: XC
Over rated: All mountain

All mountain bikes are just xc bikes for people who are either, lazy, fat, or weak. Maybe just too unskilled to get through a section without a 69* HA and fat tires.