Quantcast

most overrated, current bands

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why bother yourself with hype or whatever anyone else thinks for that matter? listen to what you like.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
i am with mmcg...who are they?
well modest mouse I have heard of & kind of like when I am either hungover or suicidal.
most new music sucks donkey choads.
fleet foxes are pretty cool though.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
that's old person talk.

btw, TVOTR and Fleet Foxes almost made my list. ;D

have you checked out Bon Iver? i'm sure you couldn't escape him, being up in WI and all. actually a pretty good record.
What you don't like Baroque Pop music?

Bon Iver is big up here but I couldn't tell you if I have ever heard him. Is he sort of techno pop-y club music? (i could be thinking of someone else)

...& yeah, I feel like an old person when it comes to music. :banghead:

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I don't mind these guys:
kings of leon
modest mouse
but I probably don't listen to enough radio.

Can't really remember the last "new" "pop" band I liked. I kinda like The Killers, but the lyrics are pretty thoughtless. I think some of there songs have maybe 15 different words in them total. It's like someone said write a short chorus and then constantly repeat it but change one word each time.

Pretty much just listed to Sirius Chill, The Joint(reggae), and some of the older hip hop channels.

While I have an adverse taste in music, I'm pretty finicky, I like The Mars Volta, but didn't like At the Drive in....go figure?

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
king missile>kings of leon

I don't mind these guys:
kings of leon
modest mouse
but I probably don't listen to enough radio.

Can't really remember the last "new" "pop" band I liked. I kinda like The Killers, but the lyrics are pretty thoughtless. I think some of there songs have maybe 15 different words in them total. It's like someone said write a short chorus and then constantly repeat it but change one word each time.

Pretty much just listed to Sirius Chill, The Joint(reggae), and some of the older hip hop channels.

While I have an adverse taste in music, I'm pretty finicky, I like The Mars Volta, but didn't like At the Drive in....go figure?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

Bon Iver is big up here but I couldn't tell you if I have ever heard him. Is he sort of techno pop-y club music? (i could be thinking of someone else)
no...shut-in folk, lo-fi and very subdued. makes will oldham look like david lee roth.

This whole thread sucks, no offense.
If you are aware of any "hype" surrounding a band, you're doing it wrong.
so you never read about music, from any source? or listen to friend's recommendations?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota

...& yeah, I feel like an old person when it comes to music. :banghead:
bon iver's first cd is fantastic; a really depressed and sick dude with minimal instruments and recording gear secluding himself in a wisconsin shack for the winter. walked out in the spring with the cd. after further investigation, i discovered that bon iver is actually the older brother of my friend's undergrad boyfriend. ah six degrees....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
2 more...
Candlebox
Collective Soul
i believe he said "current bands." you missed the boat by over a decade. :bonk:

that said, i hate the stuff i've heard from kings of leon. don't know if they are the worst, but they should get an @$$kicking as a general rule.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
no...shut-in folk, lo-fi and very subdued. makes will oldham look like david lee roth.

so you never read about music, from any source? or listen to friend's recommendations?
Not really. 95% of the music I like I found out either by seeing them at a show with other bands, or coming across their names from other similar bands. It's not like I read Rolling Stone to find out what the next up-and-coming band I might like is, or read it on Timmy's myspace blog.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Not really. 95% of the music I like I found out either by seeing them at a show with other bands, or coming across their names from other similar bands. It's not like I read Rolling Stone to find out what the next up-and-coming band I might like is, or read it on Timmy's myspace blog.
don't discount Timmy's blog.

i do find that word of mouth still pretty valuable. wenner's had nothing of interest tumble from his mouth for decades, and i'm unsure why people still reference his rag, to be honest.

if one is relying on shows to find new bands, i'd bet they are doing it wrong (if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say that the average music fan probably goes to 5-8 shows per year, goes to see a band they already know, and most times skips the opening act(s))

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
2 more...
Candlebox
Collective Soul
They're current?

Gah....Candle Box. There was a guy who worked at American Music in Fremont (in Seattle) where I bought one of my guitars. He took every opportunity to tell anyone that would stand still that HE produced one of their CD's. One of the songs came on in the store and it was like the scene in Seinfeld when Elaine is dating that guy who LOVED the song Desperado. He stopped in mid-sentence to let it wash over him and then describe every drum beat and guitar strum and why it was the way it was....which was sucky.

And THAT is why I hate Candle Box.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
don't discount Timmy's blog.

i do find that word of mouth still pretty valuable. wenner's had nothing of interest tumble from his mouth for decades, and i'm unsure why people still reference his rag, to be honest.

if one is relying on shows to find new bands, i'd bet they are doing it wrong (if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say that the average music fan probably goes to 5-8 shows per year, goes to see a band they already know, and most times skips the opening act(s))
Yea well.........maybe it's different if you listen to eclectic crap.:p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
wenner's had nothing of interest tumble from his mouth for decades, and i'm unsure why people still reference his rag, to be honest.
the people who like hating clear channel....they should direct their energies into hating this putrescent sack of sh*t.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
flip flip flip....let's see....putrescent....putrescent....flip flip.. flip...puss...put...here we are....putrescent....someone or something that is filled with putrescence......
pu·tres·cent (py-trsnt)
adj.
1. Becoming putrid; putrefying.
2. Of or relating to putrefaction.
like amy winehouses vagina

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Funny you mention Crystal Castle. The only reason I know anything about them is that they're on the sountrack NWD 9.

As for overrated? I hear a lot of talk about the Killers. Meh.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ANY emo/screamo band...stfu, quit whining and go find a new girlfriend or whatever.
Screamo is terrible, that genre should not exist. There is some good emo out there, if you know were to look there isn't nearly as much whining.

I like the killers, I don't watch ANY MTV, or listen to any radio, or pay attention to anything that's popular as far as music goes. For all I know they are way over hyped.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The impact of expectations can be interesting. I happened on a free ticket to the Kings of Leon here in SF and went not knowing anything about them or having heard any of their music or the hype. In that frame of mind I had a really good time. Since then I've enjoyed listening to the new record. But if I had heard they were the best band ever I probably would have been disappointed. And I like some Modest Mouse too.