Quantcast

most unnecessary bike parts

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
At this point, I'd say most of a typical mountain bike is unnecessary. My bikes keep getting simpler the longer I ride. I started on FS mountain bikes, went to hardtail mountain, removed the front der, went rigid, etc. I now ride my 24" bmx more than anything else.

I figure I'll be on a unicycle in a couple of years.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
At this point, I'd say most of a typical mountain bike is unnecessary. My bikes keep getting simpler the longer I ride. I started on FS mountain bikes, went to hardtail mountain, removed the front der, went rigid, etc. I now ride my 24" bmx more than anything else.

I figure I'll be on a unicycle in a couple of years.

Depends on what you're using it for. Race a WC on your 24" bmx and let me know how it goes.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i remember a few years back in mtb action they had a review on this device that showed the angle of the hill you were climbing, it was like a level (like the ones with the air bubble in the water) and the bubble would tell you the angle you were climbing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I remember seeing that abomination on mtbr. Yes, that's 2 DHXs on the back. They decided just using 2 shocks was a better idea than using a reasonable leverage ratio. :disgust1: They're 2.25" stroke shocks IIRC, and the bike gets a stupid amount of travel. Leverage ratio is massive. Yao Ming can walk under the BB easily, etc. Horrible waste of resources.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i remember a few years back in mtb action they had a review on this device that showed the angle of the hill you were climbing, it was like a level (like the ones with the air bubble in the water) and the bubble would tell you the angle you were climbing.
That could be somewhat useful on a road bike but not much for MTB. By useful I mean useless but entertaining.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is pretty much the opposite of how it's gone for me. Started with 20" bmx, got a rigid bike, got front suspension, got an FS, etc. Of course, there was no such thing as suspension for bikes when I started riding mtb's, but still.

I don't really think any of it is based on what it "necessary" though, it's really about what is "desirable." I don't need a gravity dropper but I sure like it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
This is pretty much the opposite of how it's gone for me. Started with 20" bmx, got a rigid bike, got front suspension, got an FS, etc.
I've found I like DJing more than anything else. Of course, Florida is flat, so everything else is kind of boring.

WTF is a junk wagon?
Bikes with too much crap on them. Just messin witcha.

BTW what is WC? I was thinking water closet, but that ain't right.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've found I like DJing more than anything else. Of course, Florida is flat, so everything else is kind of boring.
I imagine I'd do pretty much just urban and DJing if I lived in Florida too. Hills are what make riding fun.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
They don't work so well on SRAM or Shadow derailluers :huh:
You don't need 'em on SRAM derailleurs. The rollamajig gives SRAM cable housing routing to Shimano derailleurs. So you don't have that big loop hanging off the back of your bike.

I haven't seen the Shadow yet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You don't need 'em on SRAM derailleurs. The rollamajig gives SRAM cable housing routing to Shimano derailleurs. So you don't have that big loop hanging off the back of your bike.

I haven't seen the Shadow yet.
That was a joke :bonk:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
29" wheels. :think:
Well for MTBs anyways:busted:

I was thinking Hite Rite/Gravity Dropper/etc too.

It seems more people are just posting stuff that is unnecessary or not suited for themselves rather than truly useless other than maybe the Super Monster :D