Quantcast

Motionboy & Transcend take on Europe.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
UPDATE:

So after another day of Dh practice, which included many more riders getting in the way, many more kick ass amazing meals at our hotel and more miles walked then I would care to remember, we got all gussied up and headed over to the gondola on the other side of the village for a Media Dinner.

With our VIP invite in hand, we rolled into the gondola and up we went to the opposite side of the valley in absolute darkness. As soona s we came over the first little hill and out of the treeline, you could see then entire valley below, sparkling in the clear Italian air. It was pretty stunning. No pictures, as Josh and I just wanted to have some fun at this point.

Here is one of the slalom course i took on our way to get dressed for dinner though.

So we get out of the gondola up top, wander over to the upper lodge, all the while admiring the view below, and are ushered into a rather large, rather jammed reception area. A traditional Italian Alps style folk band is playing, hors d'oeuvres are being eaten and champagne is flowing. Hell yes, this night is off to a good start!

We ran into Andy Lee from Norba and one of the young Velonews editors from Boulder (who had never ridden a full suspension bike in his life???!!?) as well as Tony Butler (Super 8 Movie, crazy Aussie Muppet) and wandered in to take our seats.

Who do we meet on the way into the dining hall? None other then Mr Extreme himself, Hans Rey. Hand decided to pull up a chair with us and the evening was officially on. We were regaled all evening by Hans stories of his riding in insane places around the world, and Tony's equally ridiculous stories of drunken shenanigans. We had a hell of a 4 course meal, followed by lots and lots of grappa. You see, Josh doesn't drink, this means I get 2 of everything.

After one hell of an evening, free hats, and more Hans stories we wander out, only to be handed about another 80Euro in booze (2 bottles of grappa, bottle of fine Italian Wine). Goddamn - they love the press in Livigno! Grazzi!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The next day was all about more Downhill practice and then 4x finals. DH was much of the same, but the 4x is where things tsarted to get exciting. You see, the organizers hadn't forgotten the day before. Once again, we all wandered onto the course, once again threats flew and this time the Polizia were called in!

Angry Organizer guy

Polizia! Please don't hurt me with your GINORMOUS radio.

Polizia youngin decides he is whipping out his handcuffs after we all refuse to move. Older Polizia clearly doesn't want to create a multinational incident, and restrains the Noob with a curt shaking of his head. The race is now 15 mins late, and riders are getting bitchy up top, wanting to know what's up. One of the photo bigwigs heads up to the gate to explain himself to the riders, who instantly agree (thanks to Tara and Bas) and tell the organizers that without photogs on course, they will not race. 30 mins late, the race begins as the organizers relent. What does Mr Polizia do? Smiles nods to us and goes back to smoking a cigarette. Italy rules!

The race goes off under the lights and all is well in Livigno save for a brutal crash that takes out Prokop. I have some good pics of him going off on a stretcher, but I will not post out of respect for the injured. Lopes and Kintner win for the USA.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
norco-freerider said:
where did the rest of your pants go?:confused:
Too true... Friends don't let friends wear shpants.

Ragging on you now Fraser but it's rooted in jealousy. The trip and photos look awesome and thanks for telling such great tales to accompany.

Cheers.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
LeRoy said:
Too true... Friends don't let friends wear shpants.

Ragging on you now Fraser but it's rooted in jealousy. The trip and photos look awesome and thanks for telling such great tales to accompany.

Cheers.

They aren't shpants, they are just normal shorts...but he is short and it works out that way for him!

Ahh...don't forget fraser. When we met the norba guy it was in the middle of a conversation about how superior this race is to the norba races back home. How pissed I was that USA cycling didn't fill the gravity spots and everything else that was on our minds, then...Oh by the way this is andy from Norba/USA cycling... :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Motionboy2 said:
They aren't shpants, they are just normal shorts...but he is short and it works out that way for him!

Ahh...don't forget fraser. When we met the norba guy it was in the middle of a conversation about how superior this race is to the norba races back home. How pissed I was that USA cycling didn't fill the gravity spots and everything else that was on our minds, then...Oh by the way this is andy from Norba/USA cycling... :)
I figured I'd leave out that time you firmly planted your foot in your mouth. :rofl: :weee:

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Transcend said:
I figured I'd leave out that time you firmly planted your foot in your mouth. :rofl: :weee:
Yeah, well at first I felt as though I should stick my foot in my mouth...then I thought...Well, somebody has to say this stuff...why not make that person me?!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Transcend said:
Polizia youngin decides he is whipping out his handcuffs after we all refuse to move. Older Polizia clearly doesn't want to create a multinational incident, and restrains the Noob with a curt shaking of his head. The race is now 15 mins late, and riders are getting bitchy up top, wanting to know what's up. One of the photo bigwigs heads up to the gate to explain himself to the riders, who instantly agree (thanks to Tara and Bas) and tell the organizers that without photogs on course, they will not race. 30 mins late, the race begins as the organizers relent. What does Mr Polizia do? Smiles nods to us and goes back to smoking a cigarette. Italy rules!

The race goes off under the lights and all is well in Livigno save for a brutal crash that takes out Prokop. I have some good pics of him going off on a stretcher, but I will not post out of respect for the injured. Lopes and Kintner win for the USA.
sound like a rally america race i went to in MO. 100aw.
first guy i met was this cezch. he was amazed they didn't just let you
walk around to watch. so him and i busted thru the trees and walked parallel to the road till we were out of site.

anyway the last stage we watch the 0 car came by to clear and saw us. he sent a truck down the stage and flushed us out. all save the cezch who dove into a ditch! we walked us up to the spectating area
infront of everyone. the stage was delayed for 20 min.

we were thorally embaraseed but walked away just out of site to RUN back to where we were watch.

here is the vid if you missed it

http://bcdracing.com/pics/rally/100aw/100aw.mp4

cool trip you guys has super fun times.

alex

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
bcd said:
sound like a rally america race i went to in MO. 100aw.
first guy i met was this cezch. he was amazed they didn't just let you
walk around to watch. so him and i busted thru the trees and walked parallel to the road till we were out of site.

anyway the last stage we watch the 0 car came by to clear and saw us. he sent a truck down the stage and flushed us out. all save the cezch who dove into a ditch! we walked us up to the spectating area
infront of everyone. the stage was delayed for 20 min.

we were thorally embaraseed but walked away just out of site to RUN back to where we were watch.

here is the vid if you missed it

http://bcdracing.com/pics/rally/100aw/100aw.mp4

cool trip you guys has super fun times.

alex
You need to check out www.awdpirates.net