Quantcast

Motivation & Advice for Consistency (help!)

Old_Dude

Monkey
For the last 8 years of my life I've been on fitness peaks and valley's. Sometimes I do three hours of strength exercises along with three to six hours of aerobic exercise per week. Sometimes I hardly do anything - maybe in the gym for an hour and running once or twice (I always keep my aerobic workouts to last at least 30 minutes, or it doesn't seem worthwhile).

Over the years, I have set & attained goals. For example, when I was 38 I could run a 5K in less than 21 minutes (that was a big deal for me at the time when you consider just a couple of years earlier I was about 40 pounds overweight and never exercised at all). During the last several months, I'm really inconsistent in my efforts. I've been through this before - I don't know if it's seasonal, or what, but I want my body back for the summer. Dammit.

Does anyone have any secret for keeping a consistent workout routine? Any advice? What do you groovy people do maintain consistency in your health programs and stay motivated when you get discouraged about working out? I realize motivation ultimately has to come from within & that I must set realistic goals, but I'm at a low point again and I need help.

Thanks,

OD

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
my motivation was always trying to beat the ppl i raced w/ that are faster then me. like now my motivation is beating, actually beatin soem of the local pro's and semi pro's. i've showed them in the last few weeks that i can keep up w/ them for a while and give them some trouble, so hopefully by the end of the year i'll still be givin them trouble and actually having the confidence to attack and know it will work. so here's your motivation, to beat me, just keep at it and one day we'll either go on a road ride or a mtn bike ride and we'll see what happens. :D

Spriggan

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Lodi, CA
I motivate myself by becoming the most self centered... self oriented and preservent person I could be!!! Find someone you admire and strive to be like them... Of course be carefull who you pick... Homer Simpson would be one of many un-wise role models...