Quantcast

Motivation for a morning ride?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I hear all these crazy people talking about going for a ride in the morning before work. How it makes them feel great, more energized, sleep better, etc. I got the crazy idea to try it. By the time I get home from work its dark, and I have other things going on.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking maybe like 30-45 minutes on the cross bike once a week....If I can get up.

Please share your experiences.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So I hear all these crazy people talking about going for a ride in the morning before work. How it makes them feel great, more energized, sleep better, etc. I got the crazy idea to try it. By the time I get home from work its dark, and I have other things going on.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking maybe like 30-45 minutes on the cross bike once a week....If I can get up.

While I don't really think 45mins would help you sleep better, you'd definitely feel better during the day.

And yeah, I ride to work.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Motivation? I ride to work. I need motivation to work, I would ride either which way.
While I may work up to riding to work, it's almost 25 miles each way, and I need all my tools, lunch, etc. We'll see what happens when summer hits.

While I don't really think 45mins would help you sleep better, you'd definitely feel better during the day.

And yeah, I ride to work.
I'm thinking starting off with maybe 30-45 minutes once a week, and see where it goes from there. As it stands right now, I don't ride my bikes, AT ALL, and I need to start. I'm fat and out of shape and hating life.

And the little green butterfly takes care of the sleep ;)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Three days a week I train prior to work and I also commute by bike. I like it, but you'll drag a** a bit more towards the end of the day. I hit the ground running in the morning though.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Motivation? If that doesn't come from within, you've got problems.

That being said, here is what I do when I plan to ride in the morning. First, get to bed early enough to at least get my minimum required sleep (depends, usually b/w 5 and 8 hours). Second, I have all of my equipment and bottles prepared and laid out the night beforehand. If done right, it'll take me no more than 4 or 5 minutes to wake up and be out the door. Third, and most important, get excited for the ride! The more stoked I am to the ride, the less the chance of hitting snooze.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Second, I have all of my equipment and bottles prepared and laid out the night beforehand. If done right, it'll take me no more than 4 or 5 minutes to wake up and be out the door.
Damn, dude, that's a good idea but I'd probably get hit by a car or ram into a streetlight within 3 minutes. It takes me some time to get going in the morning.

Guess that's one of the reasons I don't do morning rides. I am lazy and I dislike my trainer less than I do gettin up early. I do ride to work/class, though.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
If you hop on the bike again and get back into the spin of things, it will come automatically.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Motivation? If that doesn't come from within, you've got problems.
Well, I've got problems. When I'm driving to work, I think of how much I'm going to get done on when I get home, how I could go for a ride, finish up some work on the house, etc. By the time I get home, all I want to do is sit around and go to sleep.

This is why I am trying to motivate myself to try out this morning ride thing.

I'm hoping it's just wintertime depression, and once daylight savings hits and I get home when it is still light outside, I'll feel better...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm getting up at 4 to ride teh trainer for two hours.....I tell you the Computrainer helps on the indoor rides

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004

I've done it all in the mornings, commute, trainer, and cross bike like you say.

My motivation is having a family now and finding the time. I only ride once during the week after work......so mornings it is ! Plus i am also trying to loose weight.....somehow i have recently packed on an extra 20 pounds.

Commuting - was leaving before my son was up and getting home about 60 minutes before his bedtime when he was really tired.....so i canned that.

Cross bike - we have a wide gravel loop around a golf course here....is like 3 miles. I'll do this when prep time is shorts and maybe a long sleeved shirt. Otherwise getting dressed wastes too much time.

Trainer - hit this now like 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. It isn't much but it is all i can stand anymore. Used to do more maybe will do more in the future.

Other stuff - i have concept2 rower...just started getting back into that....is a great workout. Breaks up the dread of the trainer. Also, when it gets nicer will take the DH bike out around town once or twice a week.....just get out and trudge on that thing. It isn't much but it does seem to help with comfort level when i finally get on the trail....find one or two well laid out corners and just practice at a brisk pace, it helps....