Quantcast

Motivation

I have found different reasons at different times to pedal with more enthusiasm; tonight returning after dark from town meeting it was a pack of coyotes that started sounding off about a hundred feet off my starboard beam.

I'm pretty comfortable with the coyotes in general, but this sudden nearby concert caused me to about double my spin rate for a quarter mile or so. :eek:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I can get right in the face of some tweaking crackhead loser trying to steal my gas. But Coyotes in a pack doing that pack howl thing scare the be jeebus out of me. I would have triple timed it if I was by myself.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
JBP: Glad you didn't get eaten by Coyotes, now please deal with MisterClean being a cock.

Opie: Get back in the Ice cream thread and entertain me.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i was night riding with Snacks last year or so and heard the weirdest unnatural howl i've ever heard not 20 feet away from left in the bushes. Knowing it would completely freak out Snacks who was only about 10 feet behind me i just kept riding knowing she would probably think it was me joking around. At the end of the trail i told her it wasn't me and she wanted out of there IMMEDIATELY, but she wanted me to ride in the back. Ahahaha.

Anyways to this day i still don't know what it was we heard.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
skatetokil said:
you guys are pussies.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html

coyotes are totally harmless. have you ever seen one? I guarantee you could punt a coyote over your house.
Aha, i've seen Coyote around here that were the size of a lab. You get one of those biting your ass in the dark, you'd crap your pants.:rofl:

But yah the only time i get spooked in the woods is when all the little critters get REAL quiet, and i get that feeling like somethings watching me. Time to move along.

i don't believe in fearing any ride i do, considering the odds of being attacked by anything are miniscule. But all the same i'm not someone who doesn't understand that in the right conditions, i'm still on the menu.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
I pedal really fast when I hear banjos.
Did a road ride into some very rural areas in the mountains, got into an area where every house had a chicken coop in the front yard. As a joke I started humming dueling banjo. 30 seconds later we came across a house with a couple that apeared to be 180 years old sitting on the front porch picking on banjos. The pace was upped a bit.

J

JRB

Not that I agree with the whole "everything is bigger in TX" but I personally have seen coyotes that were as big as German Shepards. I shot one that was that big, as he was about to get a newborn calf. They don't typically even bother baby calves, unless the after birth is still on them.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
They don't typically even bother baby calves, unless the after birth is still on them.
...and we know you dont share the 'best part' with anybody.:rofl:

Westy said:
Did a road ride into some very rural areas in the mountains, got into an area where every house had a chicken coop in the front yard. As a joke I started humming dueling banjo. 30 seconds later we came across a house with a couple that apeared to be 180 years old sitting on the front porch picking on banjos. The pace was upped a bit.
You get spooked by banjos?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im more worried about people painting "fag" on my car, and other things the type of people who do that **** are willing to do to someone. Animals are of no concern to me.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Hmm...I ran into a moose and her calf once when out trial building. :eek: I didn't have a bike to jam out so I had to pwnzor the b!tch with a pail from home depot. seriously.

I was cruising along all loud-like to warn any animals of my presence and as I entered this part of the trail she stood up. Then after struggling for a minute or two, her calf stood up - like barely stood up - must have been super new because it never did run away - even after the momma ran away. Needless to say, I had to change my shorts.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
johnbryanpeters said:
Coyote coydog tomato tomato... :rolleyes:
No man.
Coydogs are coyotes that have interbred with dogs. This can sometimes make the very large (or small i guess) and agressive and not afraid of humans.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Coyote's give me anxiety for personal reasons. My parents live on a farm in a rural part of TN. They have coyotes on their land. I've found used dens, etc. My Mom has to walk about 1/4 mile from the house to the barn to take care of her horses and sees them pretty often out in the field or along the wood line.

Several times she has seen them try to bait and lure her full grown german shepherd. What they will do is have one coyote fain injury and then slowly walk or limp towards the wood line, if the shepherd follows 3 or 4 more coyotes will pop out of the woods from behind and surround her. The dog is pretty smart and has gotten away everytime. I just imagine the same thing happening to my Mom and it freaks me out.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
johnbryanpeters said:
jdschall said:
= dangerous
Sources, please?
Depends on a few things, but generally, a wild animal that isn't afraid of you is dangerous to you. Mainly because you know nothing about it - is it hungry, sick, injured, schizo? I've spent some time in polar bear country - its pretty un-nerving knowing that the only reason they pay attention to you is that you're food and that the only thing keeping it at a distance is the sixteen 80 pound dogs that are pulling you around.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
johnbryanpeters said:
I have never met (seen) a pack, so I don't know what the dynamics are. I suspect that there's some risk, but I'm willing to live with it.
I've not had as close a personal encounter myself so I don't speak from personal experience but I think that as a human your risk is minimal. My Mom says that if you yell and wave your arms around they will run off. However, I think this is where the degree of instinctual fear of humans that may or may not vary with degree of domesticity becomes a risk factor.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Last February, on my sunrise lap at the 24 hours of Old Pueblo I saw a coyote cross the trail in front of me (about 20 feet), climb up a little ridge and then it stopped and watched me go by. Absolutely amazing.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jdschall said:
Near Harriman. Between Harriman, Oliver Springs, and Wartburg actually. If you've been to Windrock you've been real close.
Ah yes, Ive been to windrock.