Quantcast

Moto Mountain

zakkpw

Chimp
Sep 15, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Anyone know anything at all about Moto Mountain (link below) near Jasper GA. Just found out about it is an ATV/ Moto park but lists mountain biking as one of the activities. Did not specify CX, DH or if it's just gravel paths, (which some do consider mountain biking) I was thinking/ hoping there may be some technical riding already established or at least an opportunity to build some. Any one know anything give it up! :D

http://www.motomountainpark.com/

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
With 1250ft of elevation and a willingness to allow mountain bikes, that sounds like a good place to try to get legal DH runs like Windrock.
It should be worth checking into for the locals. I am betting as of now though, the mountain biking on their website is just shared trails with ATV's.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Just called them up super cool guy, going up in the next few days to check it out. They do have good elevation and are looking to build more trails. The current trails are technical and steep and separate from the ATV trails, he didn't know the difference in xc and dh trails so going up to check them out soon.
Says they have 500 more acres to build on with good elevation. Also has access roads to the top! Sweet! Talked to the manager and he is having the owner call me soon. I will let you guys know how it goes.

zakkpw

Chimp
Sep 15, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Good to hear that there is potential! How did I know Chuck would be ALL over this? You're the man. Let me and Kevin know if you want some company on the ride up.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Maybe this one goes to PCB?

But another place for legit trails, elevation or not, is good. Our Windrock XC only has 800 ft of vert but we built it like the Carter's Lake DH run. You are doing something fun all the way down. Combo-ing the trails with dirt bike only trails works pretty good. I ride my XC bike on some of our moto singletrack trails in Windrock. Good thing is that the motos help keep it clean and open.

Or you guys could just get dirt bikes? :D

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
Unless I'm reading that wrong their elevation is 1250 ft. That's different than 1250ft of elevation change. That is unless they drop to sea level.
Elevation has to be higher than 1250. We're at 1000 in Atlanta and that's a good bit north of here, about an hour or so north. The moto trails there are pretty good from what I've heard and seen on video. Been wanting to check them out.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Here is a better map with mtb area outlined and it looks like the max elevation is 1400ft at the SUPERVIEW.

Last edited:

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
i was just looking at the map, and there were only two specific cirlces that said mtn biking on it.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Wow you guys are on it, I didn't get a clarification on exactly what elevation gain or loss there. The guy didn't fully understand the quest of what we would be doing, so I didn't bother with all that he said there are some big steep hills and they are inviting different types of riding for all so that is good enough for me to take the time to go up and check it out. He said there are jeep roads that go up and down the hills that we could shuttle, so sounds like most of the elements are there.
You are right Doug, it doesn't take 1000 ft. to make a bad ass trail. I have been around GA long enough to know not to go all crazy and think cool ga. will have some new DH trails. But, worth checking into considering the guys hospitable attitude and that they are claiming to have the most elevation of any ATV park in GA. There again not conclusive because I don't know where all the ATV parks are? haha anyway def. sounds like a possible shot of getting something to happen there.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Caleb I don't know how big the area is but, he said they are about to open up 500 acres of possibility, so the mtn. bike trails there may be cool and be shuttle capable but, if not he acted like they have plenty of area on a big hill to build bike trails. I think I am going up on Friday to check it out and talk to the boss. I will just try to sell the idea of doing something like the Windrock idea and Find out what type of input we as riders could have towards building etc. etc.

mr2fastna

Chimp
Aug 5, 2007
Let me know when your going up Chuck, that's less than 45mins from my place. I still think we should be building on sharptop or burnt mtn...

~SB

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Cecil I think he was just going slow because the video was listed on their website to show more about the trails and terrain than anything else. Yah I can tell that this is not comparable to Windrock's terrain and elevation! Haha I wish! But, more in maybe how the relationship could work with the having bikes and Motos, ATVs etc. sharing the land.
Maybe you could give me some pointers on that Doug? How to sell the guy on it and how a mountain bike club or whatever can work with them up there. I don't think it will be hard if the terrain we want is there. I think they just want to keep the place busy with money coming in to stay open so we will see I suppose!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
From our experience:

1. Only have one person as a contact to the land owner/manager.
2. Spend a lot of time creating your 1 year and 3 year plans and present them in that manner.
3. No rogue building. Everyone must be on the same page and work together. Land Managers don't respond well to unorganized building.
4. Just as with Carter's Lake build everything to a certain quality level. Poor craftsmanship is not usually respected.
5. Don't try to exclude yourself first i.e. mtb only trails. Ask him what his goals are and how HE thinks you can be a part of it. Don't ask for a bunch of demands right away like mtb only trails. Just present your concerns for multi use and allow him to present solutions or ask you for some.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Thanks Doug, figured on some of that but, helpful none the less. Cool that they already have some existing MTB trails, so like you said - they probably already have an idea of how they want the mtb to function with the Moto stuff. I will approach them soon and come back to those interested with the info. from there. If it looks ago then we prob. would do something like you guys have set up at Windrock with a small group or whatever, then one person who relays any info to the owners. Don't you guys have like a 5 man committee that makes ultimate decisions on what is to be done and then have volunteers show up to work parties and work within those decisions? That part is where I am really asking for your expertise in how to make it work, for everyone to get along and feel part of it without having too many chiefs. I know that you guys had to get that set up right to stop any bickering from reaching the owners/moto club or whatever. So basically trying to avoid any drama that would halt or mess up the relationship on down the road. I guess we don't really need to get too crazy about it til we know that it is a go but, I just figured that thinking about it before I talk to him so I could give some initial idea to him about how we would like to function.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Well, get ready for drama. No two ways about it.

Respect is everything when it comes to building as a cohesive unit. That doesn't come overnight. We did have a 5 man committee but that was back when the number of locals was much bigger. We are in a slump now and our committee is only 3 members. Webb, Poston, and I have built together for so long that we have mutual respect for each other and we know how to get along. Throw a newb in that mix and it usually gets dramatized. The newb always expects to have too much control, too quickly. The stronger the committee, the quicker the drama dies down.

The best way we have learned to hold it together is to get the group together and walk the area you are going to build. Sometimes at Windrock we'll walk an area two or three times before we start. This is where the 1 and 3 year plans come together. Don't start building without a plan. Most people only want to be there to build jumps or berms. Not many want to just walk and plan out the solution. We have found that most newbs who aren't worth anything will loose interest and stop coming. Only people willing to take the time to plan out something are usually the ones you want to work with. Most problems can be avoided once the entire group buys into a plan. We have found this method build better trails and provides a better structure to everyone getting along. Mark, Brian and I swap out leading the trail building. That way each of us gets to put in our own flavor and its a good way to gain respect for each other.

Plus have a general rule that we won't allow someone to get elevated to builder status until they show the willingness to do the crap work like weedeating, benching, erosion control. Maybe this is why we only have 3 builders. :p

Lastly the most important rule is that no one, I mean no one gets to modify a trail that isn't their own. I still ask Mark and Brian about my ideas if its on their trails.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah, sounds about right! I know that everyone can look at a piece of land and see different things going on based on their riding and trail building experience. I overly plan, walk and rethink stuff in building but, I have worked with friends who are just like man just throw a berm or jump down. I have been working on some trails recently, pretty much by myself although, I had a little help from Josh and Ethan. But, yah benching and the gritty work ain't no joke! It's hard freaking work, so when I see the stuff you guys work on I am soooooo respectful of what Windrock is and how much sweat has been put in! One step at a time I suppose, just go up and see if we can get an appropriate hill and talk to the owners to see if we can utilize that area etc. Lay out a plan to them as you suggested and then form a small group of friends that I know (think) can work well together. I like how you guys worked out to have different trails that different people worked out. True it does give it more flavor that way than if one person lays everything out. Anyway cool man, thanks for the info and suggestions.