Quantcast

Moto style brake levers and sore left hand

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
This is my first year of DH. I ride a lot of moto so I did the "moto" style brake levers. I notice my left hand ( rear brake) gets really sore compared to my right hand. And I am right handed. Anyone else running moto style brake levers have a very sore left hand???

Maybe if I switch back to "normal" brake lever position my dominant right hand will not get as sore...

Thanks....

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
So....you're rear braking too much? Or more so compared to the front? Maybe brake more with the front to even it out, and you shouldn't need to brake AS much since the front will be more effective in slowing you down, if that is what you want to do. Most people over use the rear brake, me included. I think this makes sense.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Completely unrelated to your brake lever setup.

Lot's of folks run 'moto' setup. Every British mtber for a start, and me personally.

I've broken my right hand (2 years ago), and even then there is no feeling of 'dominance' or weakness, even living in Whistler and doing multi lap garbo days,

Starting to ride DH a lot, on hard fast trails does take time for your hands to get used to, so just suck it up for a few more weeks before seeing the doc.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Mc I will try the front a little more front. Maybe I should just ditch the brakes and slow down like the BMX'rs do with a foot on the tire..... LOL........ At least my hands would not hurt..... ha ha.

ojaiDH

Chimp
Jun 20, 2009
dream land
QUIT SKIDDING! use your front brake, you will have more control and be able to ride faster/longer with no "finger pump".

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
How dominant could your right hand possibly be? Maybe get a girlfriend? (j/k!!).
I wonder if my wife would go for that.......... LOL......!!!:D

QUIT SKIDDING! use your front brake, you will have more control and be able to ride faster/longer with no "finger pump".
I honestly don't skid much. I been up to N Star 30 times this year so far so I know my hands are getting used to riding. The pain is more in my hand than in my fingers.....

Thanks for the reply guys......!!

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
i find that having your lever engage further away from the grip contributes to the "sore"ness.

i find that having the lever close to the grip when engaged gives u less of a stree/armpump/soreness feeling.

I ride moto style myself and i dont find it a problem since modifying the lever reach.

i think it may be personal pref.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
i find that having your lever engage further away from the grip contributes to the "sore"ness.

i find that having the lever close to the grip when engaged gives u less of a stree/armpump/soreness feeling.

I ride moto style myself and i dont find it a problem since modifying the lever reach.

i think it may be personal pref.
Redride thanks for the input. I actually was thinking the same thing today when I got back from N Star. My levers where very far out. When I came home I adjusted them closer to my bars. Hopefully that is something that will help my situation.:thumb:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Definately adjust them so they are as close to the bars as you can get them, I also find the angle of the levers makes a big difference.

In the UK I don't really have an issue, but then its a good day if you get 10-12 runs in normally, when we head off the the Alps is when I have an issue. 20+ runs day in day out for 2 weeks takes its toll.

Although as the pain level increases I tend to get faster, as I can't physically brake as much :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Get yourself down the climbing wall. I used to suffer from hand cramp loads in DH until i started doing that. It's bulked me up a bit, it's great fun, and I have no complaints on the bike any more! Perfect complimentary training, IMHO.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What kind of brakes are you running? It's possible that your brakes just suck and you need an upgrade, fresh pads, fresh rotors, or a bleed.

Number two, adjust the angle and pull of your levers so your knuckles are about 90 degrees relative to the upper part of your finger. This is where your hand has the most strength/pulling ability. Adjust the angle so that you can achieve 90* when your hand is comfortable on the bar. Remember that if you're scooting over the back seat all the time, the angle changes slightly. I like to run mine slightly flatter than I would if I were riding on flat ground all the time.

Lastly, try using different grips if your hands are still uncomfortable. If you have indeed spent 30 DAYS at n star and not 30 runs, your hands should be plenty capable of braking as necessary....so it may be that your hand is just uncomfortable on the bar, and that's why it hurts.

For me, switching to a thinner grip and wider bars, as well as getting more powerful brakes, virtually eliminated hand pain and forearm pump. The only thing that's holding me back now is lack of riding time/strength in my hands. I'm amazed at the difference better parts have made.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I came from moto and the things that helped me make the switch were to move the brakes as far in on the bars as possible so that I only used my trigger finger to brake and moving the contact point way closer to the bars. In DH, the brakes are made to apply most all the force you need with 1 finger and the brake lever close in.

It will save you arm pump and fatigue from having "dragon fist" hands. Plus, being from moto, you're used to plenty of rear brake to get the rear to break loose for turns and in DH it's a bit different because of weight distribution.

At first with 1 finger braking and your finger almost to the bar, you'll feel like you're gonna fly.

If you already do all of the above...stop sitting on your wife's right and sit on her left so you can rub her neck endlessly in search of lovin' with the right hand and the pain will go away....in that hand anyway. :thumb:

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
What kind of brakes are you running? It's possible that your brakes just suck and you need an upgrade, fresh pads, fresh rotors, or a bleed.

If you have indeed spent 30 DAYS at n star and not 30 runs, your hands should be plenty capable of braking as necessary....
Code 5's less than 2 months old. Brakes work excellent and never fade. And yes 30 days, not 30 runs at N Star. I have been averaging 11 runs a day. I ride N Star at least 3 days a week.....:thumb:

bizutch thanks for the info. I have moved my levers as far inward as they will go and as close to the bar as I can get them.. I will try it out tomorrow at N Star....