Quantcast

Motoped - Mountain Bike Moto crossover

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i dont get it! most places you can mtb dont allow motors:think: and the places that allow motors will be full of real motorcross bikes ripping by you pissed that ur on that half breed bike

brdinjd

Chimp
Dec 13, 2009
I've been riding the trails around here with the motor off. When I get to the bottom, I fire it up and ride up the road (legally btw - motorized bicycle doesn't need registration). On the dirt bike trails, it's actually pretty fast with the motor on since it's so light. This thing blows any pit bike out of the water since the suspension is so good.

True though - it's definitely a half-breed.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, I'd take this for dc traffic over some ****ing moped for sure.

Make one with hookworms and a 50cc 2stroke and I'm in.
My thing is that I'm not that into riding my motorcycle around the city. A machine designed to do 100mph with 40mm of travel doesn't exactly navigate Valencia Street like a champ.

That is exactly how I would set up a Motoped, with Hookworms.

I got my parts from my VP-Free, so I could throw on a Shiver DC, 729's, maybe even my 5th Element Coil would fit.

I don't need a Harley Fat Boy to make it cross town, just a late night ratbike after a long day of riding where I don't feel like pedalling.

brdinjd

Chimp
Dec 13, 2009
he has been spamming every forum I have been on lately......thumpertalk, southbay riders, etc. same username too.
Hey GFF, I posted here and thumpertalk because I think this is a whole new thing and these are the two places I thought might be interested in it. The guy that posted on SBR is a local shop owner in Santa Cruz. I'm not trying to hide anything.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Hey GFF, I posted here and thumpertalk because I think this is a whole new thing and these are the two places I thought might be interested in it. The guy that posted on SBR is a local shop owner in Santa Cruz. I'm not trying to hide anything.
I tell you what, send me a demo and I will do a write up on it and post it on the sites I admin, let me keep it till sea otter and I will host it in our booth.

tordal

Chimp
Dec 14, 2009
motoped-bomber.jpg

Here's a picture of the one I put together. I just bought the frame and then got the parts off ebay. I think I got it together for about $2800, the forks were the most expensive part. I mostly use it for tranportation around town.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Someone did something very similar for a college project of some kind. Used Avy front and rear suspension, I think Hope brakes? and 26" MTB wheels. I can't remember which forum it was on where he did a detailed write-up of the entire fabrication process. That part was very cool.

I really couldn't imagine where I would use one though. It would get it's ass handed to it on the steep and gnarly moto singletracks, especially the loose ones since it weighs so little. In the desert it would be about as stable as an inbred chihuahua. On a smaller track maybe?? Chances are it would be atrocious on any DH trails, which are hardly ever somewhere you'd want a motorized vehicle for access reasons.

I guess it would be great for pissing off spandex-clad XC riders though. That alone justifies its existence.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
These hybrids have been showing up every now and then for quite some time now.

I was of the opinion similar to Cecil's: You can't ride them on mtb trails and you can't ride them on moto tracks. Why the hell would you want one.

Now I think they have a place. Living in the mountains, we ride trials motos. You need something that can get up and around the walking tracks in the Alps. Something that can be lifted over fences and various obstacles. Something that would be fun riding back down. Something that is not obnoxious to walkers and hikers.

I wonder how one of these would go?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I still think these would be a riot, especially if they are well muffled. If they qualify as a moped, that's an easy choice for a commute to work. I really like the electric ones, they're significantly more "trail capable" since they're silent, but even a gas one would be fun for self-shuttling. I feel like a lot of these bikes are too large of a compromise in that they try to be motorcycles instead of "motorized trailbikes" or something along those lines. I really wanted an electricmoto ever since i saw them in MBA, but they went from really clever idea to "hey I'm an MX bike too", which is almost useless on any trail. I like the idea of pedals being attached too, since you can knock out the motor and descend, or pedal when the gas runs out. I just wish they were affordable.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My thing is that I'm not that into riding my motorcycle around the city. A machine designed to do 100mph with 40mm of travel doesn't exactly navigate Valencia Street like a champ.
That's a big reason I got a supermoto: Getting around town and splitting traffic on the bridge. And dude, your bike better be faster than 100 mph. I get close to that on my DRZ and it's only a 400 with crappy aerodynamics.

Anyway that thing looks like it would be fun for a couple hours but after that I'd probably wish for either a real moto or a real DH bike.