Quantcast

Motorcycle Diaries?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Has anybody seen the movie?

I watched it over the weekend and really liked it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
I thought about getting it. It looks really interesting.
It's funny when you watch a movie with subtitles after a while it's almost like you're not reading them....

It was a good movie however the close minded republican you are would probably take offense to showing a communist leader in a good light.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
I am looking forward to seeing it.
Do you know the background?
I went into it without knowing the background which was good.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
I know the basic premise of what he did, but not the driving factors behind his actions
ok well I didn't even realise it was about him or even who he was till the movie was over.

It's a great movie and well worth the rental fee!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
I know who he is, but I know very little about him.
Well they don't go into what happened after these years but you can see why he developed the ideas that he did.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i also watched it over the weekend without realizing who it was about. was very good, very sobering.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
it warnt so good. when i watch a movie picture, i want to see it, not read it. thats whet i cant stand about foriegn films, they should atleast be dubbing it for us.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
i was supermely disappointed that it didnt get a nomination for best foreign film. the sea inside was great but i thought the motorocycle diaries was better. the academy tends to avoid "touchey" movies (like when ed norton didnt get anything for american history x) but i thought that motorcycle diaries had little to do with the controversial part of his life and should have been looked at for what was in the film and not for what happened later in his life.

anyways, great film. i figure one of the best of 04 for sure. anyone who hasnt seen this probably should, at the very least, just to see the amazing scenery.

edit- i personaly think dubbing is a horrible idea. when the sound doesnt match a picture it is something that bothers me. there are rare exceptions. dubbed kung fu seems to be one. quinten tarentino is working on a film that will be in mandarin but will have a deliberately off pace english dub. should be hilarious.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
stosh said:
take offense to showing a communist leader in a good light.

Well considering he lined all his closet friends against a wall and shot then himself, I too would be kinda ticked off that he was made out to be a good person... His print isnt so much about him as it is a symbol for change. Thank god the CIA killed him in that plane crash. :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i was gonna see it in the theater, i bought it a few weeks back but i still haven't busted it out and seen it.... Went to go see Constatine a few days back, that was a pretty cool movie. :thumb:

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
mack said:
Well considering he lined all his closet friends against a wall and shot then himself, I too would be kinda ticked off that he was made out to be a good person... His print isnt so much about him as it is a symbol for change. Thank god the CIA killed him in that plane crash. :thumb:

You should definatley read this... He wanted his people to be free. Had some smart ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
You need to look at and learn WHY he did what he did. Not just what he did. (Same for other revolutionaries, not just Che)

Sometimes change requires revolution. And being a "good person" is about your whole life, not just some of your actions within that life.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
mack said:
you should read a few books and do some research and then maybe then you will find out what his real motives, beliefs and actions were. also, he wasn't a typical communist by the definition we are use to hearing. he was actually against leninism (a form of communism...yes there r many forms...which was what russia was all about under...surprise surprise, lenin) castro, who che fell out of favor with was all for it...this is one of the reasons y che left (was sent out of) cuba. all that aside and without getting into the history...REAL history and not fake US propaganda history, Che's ideals, beliefs and actions weren't of some blood thirsty killer...he was a humanatarian...freedom fighter...more than anything. It really is too bad the US government feels the need to portray some people in such a bad light, not to mention skew the facts to their favor. that's what happens when someone trys to do something about the US's business or lack there of...and corruption in other parts of the world. sickening. :mumble:
oh ya...that wikipedia article is also somewhat wrong. "and later in Bolivia, where he was captured in a CIA-organized military operation. The CIA wanted to keep him alive for interrogation, but he was executed by the Bolivian army" it was actually the CIA who had him put to death, CIA agent Félix Rodríguez had the order carried out...the CIA wanted him dead...not the Bolivians, the Bolivian rangers actually didnt want to do it. anyways sorry for the long history lesson of sorts. my father and brother r both huge history people...my brother specializing in latin american history.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
just saw it... excellent flick in many ways.

Tho my girl said I was taking the motorcycle stuff too literal... like when the brakes didn't work, I was all, "uhh, downshift, let the transmission slow you down?"

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
stosh said:
Has anybody seen the movie?

I watched it over the weekend and really liked it.
I've seen most of it, and liked what I saw. I want to see the whole thing sometime. I don't usually get into foreign films, but this one had a simple quality to it. The idea of going on a trek like that is really appealing to me.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Saw it this past weekend.
Knew it was about Che.
Didn't know too much about him before (I had read some history, but don't consider myself knowledgeable).

Am happy I saw it.

I love NetFlix, I can get all sorts of foreign films. Subtitles don't bother me at all. I love foreign films. :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've been reading and it's interesting to see how great AND horrible this guy was. You have to wonder how disappointed he'd be in Cuba today.