Quantcast

Motorcycle Monkeys

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, sweet ride! I love Aprilia's too! What's funny is I thought they only made scooters until my brother had one in the front window of his shop about 10 years ago. I've been in love ever since, too bad the cheap bastard in me won't let me get one. The Tuono 1000R is the bike that is always up against mine.

I have ridden to work all this week. Low 30's in the morning and mid 30's on the ride home. It's cold as hell, but my bike sat for nearly 2 months and I couldn't wait any longer.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Mine has been up on the work table for about 2 months and I haven't even touched it. I need to get off my ass because we've started to get nice days again. I'm hoping to go to Austin the 1st weekend in April and I'm taking with me. Lots of good riding down there.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
^^ WTF?

You would have to pry that bike from my cold dead hands. After the Easyrider show, I have started the overall plans for my hardtail. Although I have an interesting design (but I don't think it will work just yet) for a 4 link air ride setup.

Ugly photochop concept (up):

Even uglier photochop concept (down):

<edit> It's not a TRUE 4 link because it's essentially 2 swing warms for lateral stiffness but it has full vertical motion. But it doesn't need a panhard bar that way either. There is also a safety lockout to make it a hardtail in the event of bag failure.

I'm still working on a real mock-up.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you still planning on using a sporty motor or have you decided to use a big twin?
I still plan on using a Buell/Sporty engine. I don't know if I will combine them, but the other plan I have is a FlexFuel conversion, but it requires EFI (Buell).

Here is a Triumph Speed 4 converted to FlexFuel in about 20 minutes. Single wire hookup for the box and fuel injector splices.

My idea was to use the frame down tubes for oil and use the "normal" location for oil to house the electronics with the harness hidden in the top tube. Somewhat easy access and still a clean look.

First up a a straight hardtail though.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I know a guy that may have a EFI setup from a Buell for sale. It is from that '01 Cyclone that I had a while back. He was planning on taking it apart and converting it to carb.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know a guy that may have a EFI setup from a Buell for sale. It is from that '01 Cyclone that I had a while back. He was planning on taking it apart and converting it to carb.
Nice.

There is one in Southern Oregon I am thinking about checking out. It's supposed to run fine despite the cosmetic damage.

has 6k on it.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
My R1, second R1 actually. I pretty much flog it every day. Rode it to work today in jeans and a t shirt. Every light/stop sign is an exuse for a stoppie....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't know if anyone is building a frame for for the XB. The motor mounts are different.
I was talking to the guys at Nash about the mods needed. It's clearly possible, but I need to go look at it first. The guy is only asking $2800 for that bike (that picture doesn't show the real damage). There isn't a whole lot salvageable, but the engine/trans is supposed to be good. The rest would go in the scrap bin.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I've seen at least one XB chopped. I can't remember who made the frame though. Can you use the fork from that XBS? What about the wheels?

edit: Redneck Engineering made the frame. They do an XB for their mutant frame.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've seen at least one XB chopped. I can't remember who made the frame though. Can you use the fork from that XBS? What about the wheels?
I don't see why not, but I decided to go with red spokes. There was a color matched matte green wheels/frame bike at the last show that convinced me.

<edit>2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt

Redneck Engineering Mutants available for both the Evolution Sportster (1986-2003) and Buell (1995-2002) engines as well as the new XB style Buell (2003-present) engines and components

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
^^^^^^The guy that built that bike is named Justin. His shop is called 2 bit Choppers. I've talked to him before and he's super cool and his parts reasonably priced. You should talk to him.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm crushed.

I was hoping it was british.

sniff....

british bike for giggles

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
^^^^^^The guy that built that bike is named Justin. His shop is called 2 bit Choppers. I've talked to him before and he's super cool and his parts reasonably priced. You should talk to him.
That bike was "chopper of the month" or something. I just did a google for "buell xb chopper". It's one of the Redneck Engineering bobber frames. I dig the mid controls, I will have to drop them a line for sure.

I am trying to find some wholesale parts sources. A friend has registered a business and got a license to deal. Mostly to get crap for cheap, but eventually I would like to build for $$$. Nothing big, but a bike or two a year would be awesome.

Build it, ride it, sell it, repeat.

Who is the QBP for motorcycles anyway?

<edit> That Norton is bad ass. The main problem now is my current ride has spoiled me. Unless I am cruising, anything else feels like a scooter. I should have bought an SV650, the bar would be much lower.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Well, I've done about 100 miles on the RSV now, handling is really nice, she's super-stable and loves to lean. The engine has loads of grunt and is deceptively fast, I need to keep an eye on the speedo in towns as it never seems to be travelling quite as fast as the speedo says. Roll-on summer and warm tyres.