Quantcast

motorcycle monkeys

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am thinking about getting my motorcycle license this fall. I am starting to look at different bikes. I like the look of a more retro bike, and dont have a lot of money to spend. Has anyone ridden a triumph, more specifically a triumph bonneville? I know almost nothing about motorcycles besides that i want one.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Get an old CB500/650 or so and call it good. Triumph's are cool, but they aren't cheap and even less reliable. You can get a cool cafe project for less than $1000.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
ok well my dad used to have a bike, he was into that stuff for a while but he sold his bike back in the early 90s. i have a dirtbike, so im not clueless when it comes to handling a bike. i just dont know whats reliable and whats not. i dont need a huge engine, and i dont want a stupid crotch rocket.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've ridden a couple Triumphs before. They're fvcking heavy. If I remember right they're reversed shifter/rear brake too.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
ok well my dad used to have a bike, he was into that stuff for a while but he sold his bike back in the early 90s. i have a dirtbike, so im not clueless when it comes to handling a bike. i just dont know whats reliable and whats not. i dont need a huge engine, and i dont want a stupid crotch rocket.
Maybe a Dual Sport bike would be a good fit for you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i really dont understand how you guys call me a bad driver. in my accident when i lost control of my car i managed to bring it up on a bank MISSING the telephone pole then back onto the road. yes there was some luck in that, but if i really sucked at driving i would be in a pole by now.
pinkshirtphotos said:
because i actually know wtf im doing behind the wheel.
You probably want reread your posts before you get a motobike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Make it a nice clean head wound so we can harvest your organs.

At least on a moto his chances of taking anyone else out with him are low.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dude... seriously. Do yourself and your parents a frikkin HUGE favor and do not get a motorcycle.

Finding a bike that is not lard-assed or a crotch rocket is difficult these days. The field seems to have reduced itself to touring whales, Harley flatulence generators and crotch rockets. I have been leaning towards getting another motorcycle, pref. 650 cc or thereabouts, bench seat, air cooled for simplicity, can't find anything.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Finding a bike that is not lard-assed or a crotch rocket is difficult these days. The field seems to have reduced itself to touring whales, Harley flatulence generators and crotch rockets. I have been leaning towards getting another motorcycle, pref. 650 cc or thereabouts, bench seat, air cooled for simplicity, can't find anything.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It doesn't have the weird things you are looking for but the SV is about the best regular old motorcycle going.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Dude... seriously. Do yourself and your parents a frikkin HUGE favor and do not get a motorcycle.
in the past 6 weeks, a friend and coworker has gone down and received a compound fracture of his tibia and fibula. ICU for a few days, surgery, $100k in bills; doctors said he was lucky to be alive. another friend and coworker has gone down and died (this past Friday). both were experienced riders.

After 8yrs, I have decidedly scratched a Yamaha R6 off my want list.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
{riding a dirtbike thru a field} ≠ {riding a streetbike on the road}
I agree but he already has a leg up on most MC riders out there.

PSP, you do not want a vintage Triumph unless you are prepared to work on the bike more than you actually ride it. The electrics probably have more gremlins than a new VW. The new Bonny would be ok, but I'd not get a new anything if I was you. Jimmydean's rec. of an old CB is spot on. Has the look you want and once you wad it up after barely missing a telephone pole you won't cry over your lost investment of $$$.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
in the past 6 weeks, a friend and coworker has gone down and received a compound fracture of his tibia and fibula. ICU for a few days, surgery, $100k in bills; doctors said he was lucky to be alive. another friend and coworker has gone down and died (this past Friday). both were experienced riders.

After 8yrs, I have decidedly scratched a Yamaha R6 off my want list.
Ny condolences on the loss of your friend.

No matter the experience, you cannot control "the other guy". I lost a cousin, had an aquaintance who lost an arm, and rode (MTB) with a guy who lost a leg.

I know that not every rider will be killed or maimed but the odds are too high for me to ride a bike on the street. And I love motorcycles. I used to ride but luckily never went down. I stopped riding on the road after a couple of close calls.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
if i got the triumph i would consider new, or nearly new.
As long as it's still a Triumph, it will still have issues.

My friend has an '03 Speed Triple with less than 4k miles on it. He bought it last year and has spent more money on it than I spent on my bike purchase ($1500). A few months ago he bought a Yamaha.

Check Craig's list and find an early 80's Jap bike in the 500-650 range. Honda CB's are the easiest to get parts for, but Yamaha XS's are also plentiful and cheap

I love the XS650

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
It doesn't have the weird things you are looking for but the SV is about the best regular old motorcycle going.
:stupid:

but an early-mid 90's suzuki GS-500 would be a great starter bike! and fairly inexpensive! it'll have enough get up and go, and reliability far and above a brit bike, but I can't say I blame you for liking them! :thumb: