Quantcast

motorcycle thread

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
observation and question...

My girl and I were driving along with a rider in front of us. I said, "Aww, a new rider." She asked how I knew. I said it was cuz when he took off at the last light, he was tentative, when stopped at a long light, he never took either hand off -- right or wrong, at long lights, I'm in neutral.

Anywho, next light, the guy was indecisive whether to blow through the yellow or stop. He decided to stop at the last moment, but couldn't keep control, weight forward, twisted steering and nearly endo'ed. Went down pretty hard for 5mph. I put on my hazards while he got up and eventually got going.

Some observations: If you're thinking of getting your first bike, please, what the hell are you thinking with a gixxer? Is it your first bike or your last?

Also, I was proud of this newbie for wearing a lid, but no gloves? He was staring at his hand after going down, so I'm guessing he learned that lesson.

Lastly, he might have gone down cuz his long hiking boot laces might have gotten caught. So I recommend boots with velcro straps.

QUESTION: my metzler tires are rated for 500#. Is that bike weight only? Cuz my bike is that much with just gas and without me on it. While it's handled well with just me, I'm wondering if I'm pushing safety limits cuz I'd like to take my girl with me on a few cruises this summer. Between bike, me, girl and gear, I'm thinking we're easily over 800#.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The 500# is probably for each wheel, so 1000lbs total.

My first bike, a crappy old Yamaha Seca, had a trashed tranny and finding neutral was a chore, I had to keep it in gear at lights. I was going to replace it with a lever from an ATV brake that could lock in place, acted as a parking brake for the ATV. Eventually I just upgraded rides instead.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
Feeling a little dumb today. heh, I'm sure you're right. Doh!

narlus said:
you keep referring to yr passenger as 'my girl'

the correct term is 'my lover'
:agree:

she's cool, she'd let me wear one of those "If you can read this, the b!tch fell off" t-shirt :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But you still need to buy her a shirt that says "I'm the bitch" so you can wear them together when you ride.

Westy said:

My first bike, a crappy old Yamaha Seca, had a trashed tranny and finding neutral was a chore, I had to keep it in gear at lights. I was going to replace it with a lever from an ATV brake that could lock in place, acted as a parking brake for the ATV. Eventually I just upgraded rides instead.
That's dangerous - a busted clutch cable can put you in world of hurt in some circumstances.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
johnbryanpeters said:
That's dangerous - a busted clutch cable can put you in world of hurt in some circumstances.
That whole bike was a bit dangerous. Fork would bottom out from braking. Great bike to learn on though. Had a couple much nicer bikes since. I still can't get over how nice my "budget bike" SV650 is.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'm not allowed a motorcycle on pain of divorce. :( It's a real pity because I love riding motorbikes and without being bigheaded (much) I'm pretty good at it. If I could ever persuade my wife I'd probably get an R6. I have a black one my desktop.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if you are at all interested in old triumph/bsa/harley/norton/japanese motorcycles check out dice magazine. No OCC garbage.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
I just recently bought my first motorcycle. An 84 Yamaha IT200 Enduro.

Fact is motorcycles are cool; there is a definite image to riding a motorcycle. And in this day and age, since things are more expensive than they used to be bang for buck and longevity of their purchases.

The Katana 600 is has a MSRP of $6399, is carbureted, make good power, looks good, brakes and handles well, a great beginner bike.

The GSX-R 600 is $8799 is fuel injected, makes alot of power, revs like a race bike, looks like a race bike, handles shaper and probley brakes harder. A ride for the advanced sport bike rider.

To the average consumer the GIxxer is by far the better deal. The resale will stay stronger thanks to its cutting edge technology and higher sticker price. (For when they want the 750).

Personally I think that the licensing should be done in steps like a 250cc limit for first year riders, 500 for second and third year. And then you can buy a bike you want instead of people crashing their bikes, raising insurance rates and adding to the image that motorcyclists are reckless.

add to the equation the typical alfa-male ego of " 600 tiny cc's can't kick my ass" and you have the reason that buddy bought a GSX-R

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I don't think alot of these kids realize what the heck they are buying when they go get a gsxr or similar...125+or- HP is alot of friggin power....I am trying to talk my nephew into a SV650....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Dirt rider said:
Personally I think that the licensing should be done in steps like a 250cc limit for first year riders, 500 for second and third year. And then you can buy a bike you want instead of people crashing their bikes, raising insurance rates and adding to the image that motorcyclists are reckless.
Brilliant!! :thumb:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
LordOpie said:
Brilliant!! :thumb:

Yep the graduated system is what we use down here in NZ. It works really well...except that it means that the prices of secondhand 250's are insane at the moment because everyone is getting a learners license and are restricted to 250cc and under.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DaveW said:
Yep the graduated system is what we use down here in NZ. It works really well...except that it means that the prices of secondhand 250's are insane at the moment because everyone is getting a learners license and are restricted to 250cc and under.
sounds like a business opportunity... one year leases on 250s. Bundle in insurance and maintenance into the lease payment and everyone wins.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I dont agree with the CC graduation, I am more of a "Adding a third class of license" for the sport bikes, Is that rule one that woulkd apply to cruiser style bikes also??? a 600cc Crocth rocket os more than enough to get yourself into a heap of trouble, but my 750 shadow is quite the handleable bike, I think the more bottom line should go after better training coarses and Actual road tests to get your license, i mean the Obstacle coarse is a joke. Lets see how you ride in traffic!!!!

To answer one of the original questions, the Load rating is Per tire, your rear should be Equal to or greater than your front tire.

Now to comment on fiding a new rider, amazing how a new rider stands out like a sore thumb isnt it. Lane positions are another give away!!! Well anyways thats my rant for this subject