Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Haven't logged on to RM in years, but must have felt a disturbance in the force.

Surprised to see that blue bike (the "ST Concept") back in one piece. @jimmydean is that a recent pic, or all the way back from 2017?
I thought Derek (our CTO) had half the parts and Dale (our lead race tech) had the other half. Glad someone ended up with the whole thing...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Haven't logged on to RM in years, but must have felt a disturbance in the force.

Surprised to see that blue bike (the "ST Concept") back in one piece. @jimmydean is that a recent pic, or all the way back from 2017?
I thought Derek (our CTO) had half the parts and Dale (our lead race tech) had the other half. Glad someone ended up with the whole thing...
2017 seems about right. It was at the Portland "The One" show a while back.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Oooh, this looks good.

That looks like a teeny battery... wouldn't expect much from it. Personally, I'd wait for https://fluxmoto.co/ to bring their production bike to market. It doesn't look like much online, but they're the real deal. I'd hold of on a Stark until they shake out the gremlins.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Holy shit! @ohio sighting.
Lol, I miss this place. Between shutting down Alta, COVID hitting, and 4 wrist surgeries in the last 2 years I've been off bikes and motos for too long. Just got back on my (road) bike for the first time on Tuesday, and my wrist seemed okay-ish. Cautiously hopeful I'll be back on the real bike in the coming months.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That looks like a teeny battery... wouldn't expect much from it. Personally, I'd wait for https://fluxmoto.co/ to bring their production bike to market. It doesn't look like much online, but they're the real deal. I'd hold of on a Stark until they shake out the gremlins.
Right now the Ultra Bee checks a lot of boxes. The Varg is way overkill, as will the Flux. But should my Lotto hit soon, that could change. But there seems to be a lot coming to market.

How do you feel about having a bike 10 years too early? The Redshift is still the industry standard and is still tops.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Looks like I'm a motorbike owner again.

I just purchased a 2002 BMW F650GS
One owner from new, really well looked after, Heated grips, Scott oiler, 12v power output and racks fitted (comes with a selection of 4 Ventura bags of varying sizes).

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 9.28.18 AM.png

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
How do you feel about having a bike 10 years too early? The Redshift is still the industry standard and is still tops.
Poor. I feel poor. If had been able to get out from under Harley's bear hug to hold on for 12-18 more months, we would have SPAC'd at $3-4B.

Thanks for the kind words about the bike. The whole team and I are pretty proud of the bikes and the legacy. I'm hoping the guys at Flux can pick up the baton and finish what we started. There wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the strategy, the tech, or the product - we were just too early to raise the funds really needed. VCs didn't believe we were doing what we were actually doing, and that left us very fragile. Didn't take much for an 800lb gorilla to squash us.

FWIW, if we'd survived another 12 months, the Redshift mk2 was gonna be $12k, 250lbs, 60+hp, and have a real world 65mi trail range (enough to complete a true pro outdoor MX). 50% more battery while dropping 18lbs of weight. Would have fucking crushed KTMs.

Yup, these are the dudes to watch. That's just their test mule and it's already the fastest and longest range eMX ever built.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Poor. I feel poor. If had been able to get out from under Harley's bear hug to hold on for 12-18 more months, we would have SPAC'd at $3-4B.

Thanks for the kind words about the bike. The whole team and I are pretty proud of the bikes and the legacy. I'm hoping the guys at Flux can pick up the baton and finish what we started. There wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the strategy, the tech, or the product - we were just too early to raise the funds really needed. VCs didn't believe we were doing what we were actually doing, and that left us very fragile. Didn't take much for an 800lb gorilla to squash us.

FWIW, if we'd survived another 12 months, the Redshift mk2 was gonna be $12k, 250lbs, 60+hp, and have a real world 65mi trail range (enough to complete a true pro outdoor MX). 50% more battery while dropping 18lbs of weight. Would have fucking crushed KTMs.

Yup, these are the dudes to watch. That's just their test mule and it's already the fastest and longest range eMX ever built.
now that I am living at the dunes the electric rigs make me giggle after watching the local crew burn up a couple hours with a paddle. Good to see ya doing well and moving forward man.