Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's not "official" but highly likely, the Stark Varg production doesn't start until end of '23 with delivery starting '24. But they haven't said it publicly, just to the pending orders.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
It's not "official" but highly likely, the Stark Varg production doesn't start until end of '23 with delivery starting '24. But they haven't said it publicly, just to the pending orders.
Oh man, Daveboy will not be pleased to hear this. He has ordered his a looong time ago.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh man, Daveboy will not be pleased to hear this. He has ordered his a looong time ago.
I was one of the first to put money down when @gonefirefightin showed it to me. Pushing to this Summer wasn't bad, but to hear production still hasn't even started is too much. The Storm Bee is almost half price, so my expectations are realistic.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
1676077925562.png

Can somebody help me out on this? The only thing I got is 2WD, but I can't get my head wraped around how that fork is supposed to work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
here's a fun read for you

Trying to convince a few dumbasses that the design in this thread is not that bmw system was fun

TLDR

I'm currently dealing with a fever so not on top of my game, so correct me if I am wrong, but that appears to have pro-dive geometry. All I would ever ask from a linkage for is some anti dive, just a little.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
TLDR

I'm currently dealing with a fever so not on top of my game, so correct me if I am wrong, but that appears to have pro-dive geometry. All I would ever ask from a linkage for is some anti dive, just a little.
There's a bit of an optical illusion with the fork leg angle if that's what you mean. That's not the steering angle.

I and some others in that thread pushed him on some details and the linkage angles and damping differences between the two systems jives with something that shouldn't be a dive machine..should be the opposite. He's got some ride videos later on and it definitely doesn't look like it riding.

I'm not going to buy one because of the price but it seems pretty sound.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
based on that front wheel IT'S NOT WORKING
It isn't there for "down force" but to limit wheelies at top speed where aerodynamic forces would flip the motorcycle over backwards. Doesn't do much to prevent wheelies during acceleration at lower speeds. Actually would push the front wheel wide if it did much of anything at cornering speeds.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It isn't there for "down force" but to limit wheelies at top speed where aerodynamic forces would flip the motorcycle over backwards. Doesn't do much to prevent wheelies during acceleration at lower speeds. Actually would push the front wheel wide if it did much of anything at cornering speeds.
There was an interesting article about the development of aero on GP bikes. Ducati started it with the winglets a few years back and a few shops have gotten nuts with it. This is the more extreme example so far, but it sounds like it's working and they are just scratching the surface of what might be possible.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Stupid discovery of the day: The radiator shrouds on the DRZ400 have three screws holding them in, one into the radiator and two into the gas tank. For some wonderful reason, they use different length screws between these three mounting points and should you happen to grab the longer of the screws and try to use it on the gas tank mount, it will punch a nice hole through the steel for you.

Been trying to figure out why my tank leaks gas when I fill it full, but doesn't after running it for a short while. It looks like the previous owner tried to seal it with JB Weld or something, but wasn't successful. It also explains why the screws were all covered with silicone or something similar when I removed them.

I'll probably have a go at patching this thing first, otherwise it might be new tank time.
tank.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Stupid discovery of the day: The radiator shrouds on the DRZ400 have three screws holding them in, one into the radiator and two into the gas tank. For some wonderful reason, they use different length screws between these three mounting points and should you happen to grab the longer of the screws and try to use it on the gas tank mount, it will punch a nice hole through the steel for you.

Been trying to figure out why my tank leaks gas when I fill it full, but doesn't after running it for a short while. It looks like the previous owner tried to seal it with JB Weld or something, but wasn't successful. It also explains why the screws were all covered with silicone or something similar when I removed them.

I'll probably have a go at patching this thing first, otherwise it might be new tank time.View attachment 190888
That's a messed up design right there, damn.

I'll probably have a go at patching this thing first, otherwise it might be new tank time.View attachment 190888
New tank, don't screw around.