Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Until the Varg is actually available, the Alta Redshift @ohio is STILL the gold standard. The SurRon Strom Bee looks very promising, but haven't seen it in person. It's currently my #1 if it compares to the Varg for $4k less.
Coo! What do you think about a clutchless bike for trail riding? I imagine there would be a fair bit of engine 'feel' customization via the computer's control board for throttle feel and inputs etc. You know how sometimes you just set your right hand throttle in a somewhat fixed position and use your left hand throttle to modulate the power for optimum traction? Maybe that technique isn't required on an eMoto? Using the clutch essentially as a throttle is pretty clutch in the techy steep tech zones IMHO.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Coo! What do you think about a clutchless bike for trail riding? I imagine there would be a fair bit of engine 'feel' customization via the computer's control board for throttle feel and inputs etc. You know how sometimes you just set your right hand throttle in a somewhat fixed position and use your left hand throttle to modulate the power for optimum traction? Maybe that technique isn't required on an eMoto? Using the clutch essentially as a throttle is pretty clutch in the techy steep tech zones IMHO.
I rode the Brammo Empulse when they were still in Ashland and the torque of the motor made it feel like you were just in the right gear all the time. Want to go faster, just roll on. The Alta had 4 switchable maps on the bars. For racing they had it mapped off the line, slow turn, fast turn, and wide open. I know the SurRon has a couple different modes and a turbo button..

<edit> having the back brake on the bars is totally worth losing the clutch.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It was pretty easy to spin out the alta in dry loose stuff if get caught up on something steep and need to get going again. Stuff I wouldn't have even thought twice about with a clutch. Where a handlebar mounted map switch helps electric dirtbikes I guess.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
It was pretty easy to spin out the alta in dry loose stuff if get caught up on something steep and need to get going again. Stuff I wouldn't have even thought twice about with a clutch. Where a handlebar mounted map switch helps electric dirtbikes I guess.
Have a clutch lever bluetoothed in that just reduces torque till it is zero at the bar? Might help avoiding whiskey throttle as well as modulate the traction better? Instant torque is probably great for an MX track that is essentially groomed compared to trail tech.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Have a clutch lever bluetoothed in that just reduces torque till it is zero at the bar?
you see, I ride carbureted dirtbikes not because they are new, but because they are old, well hashed out, and don't have dumb shit thought up by a dickbag with a tesla ;)

There's probably a world where I have way more than a few hours on an electric motorcycle with a left hand rear brake I might be able to use to modulate drag.....

Honestly just switching the map down does wonders. I just didn't realize that until much later. Just different.

I've heard some of the same complaints about that ktm electric freeride too. You'll never stall an electric bike so it just does what it does.

Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
you see,
There's probably a world where I have way more than a few hours on an electric motorcycle with a left hand rear brake I might be able to use to modulate drag.....

Honestly just switching the map down does wonders. I just didn't realize that until much later. Just different.
What kind of rear brake pads you gonna run?
It will be different for sure and I'll give it a go at some point as it seems inevitable and I am kinda curious. Plus, they are getting a carbonatite mine going on the MT/ID border that surrounded by some of the funnest trails I've ever ridden. Maybe an eMoto will have some kind of local 'status'?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've only owned one other ktm but I absolutely strip every wp logo off the things. I refuse to answer the question "what does that stand for?"

"The austrians" even own the suspension company now
Does it have the reKluse Klutch from Idaho?

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
check out muh new bike, bros!

It's fun buying completely functional motorcycles for less than I paid for my last mtb frame

Less fun is completely tearing them down to find out what you just bought
Is that an air fork?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Feathering the rear brake while on the power ON AN EBIKE is a really helpful technique on technical climbs.

I've only ridden an Alta and a Sur Ron on pretty tame stuff, but damn it's rad having 2 hand brake levers and a throttle.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You just made me google white power suspension you cunts. It’s Wim Peterson. Although I note they use a lot of white in their branding…

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That storm is a pig.

If the aftermarket bits pop up like they did the og suron that thing might be pretty awesome in the woods.
The Ultra Bee with 21/18 wheel upgrade looks pretty damn promising and it's $6500. That's just crazy, but I have to ride it before I spend that. The Stark Varg and the Flux are both close to production, but twice the price.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The Ultra Bee with 21/18 wheel upgrade looks pretty damn promising and it's $6500. That's just crazy, but I have to ride it before I spend that. The Stark Varg and the Flux are both close to production, but twice the price.
For sure. Ironically the cheap looking chinese suron company has proven themselves to likely still exist in 5 years. Who knows about stark...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For sure. Ironically the cheap looking chinese suron company has proven themselves to likely still exist in 5 years. Who knows about stark...
The Ultra Bee is only 187lbs vs the 280 of the Storm. My YZ is about 240 wet, so the Ultra would feel crazy flickable. I'm just concerned about the power. I'm so used to being crazy overpowered that is could be super disappointing. Kinda like going from a Triumph Speed Triple 955 to an 883 Sportster. That shit was straight pathetic and I still say the Sporty is the biggest death trap I've ever ridden. :rofl:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I could have used a clutch yesterday. I tried twice but couldn’t get past that section of trail and ended up going around.

View attachment 192063

View attachment 192064

View attachment 192065
Hey Brother,what upragrades have you put on her? I have not seen it for some time now,but there was this EBike guy on YT I would watch. He bought a 1400 dollar or more power booster. A small silver Box that he showed how to install. Taking out the OG box,then a pretty quick re-wire of the new one,took him about 1/2 hr.
Then off to the street to test. He was Fucking Laughing his Ass off rippin down the street. He was very happy to say the least.

Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Brother,what upragrades have you put on her? I have not seen it for some time now,but there was this EBike guy on YT I would watch. He bought a 1400 dollar or more power booster. A small silver Box that he showed how to install. Taking out the OG box,then a pretty quick re-wire of the new one,took him about 1/2 hr.
Then off to the street to test. He was Fucking Laughing his Ass off rippin down the street. He was very happy to say the least.

Avy
I’ve done mainly suspension, wheels and handlebar mods to get it feeling good. I made a linkage and longer shock to bring the spring rate down and add some progression. That made a big difference.

I haven’t done any power mods because it’s already too fast for the short wheelbase, imo. The front end picks up immediately if you are in the high power mode. I let friends try it for the first time in that mode and they come back scared/laughing.

I mostly use the middle of the 3 on the map switch.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Heh. That's awesome. You got a closeup pic?
I do.
Here’s the Elka shock with original link. Very regressive with a heavy top out coupled with bottoming out.
E3FCB88F-031C-4031-B2CE-B20CE474A416.jpeg

Old link and first attempt.
74678100-6D25-4ED8-A6EB-5040EA71D184.jpeg

8D463624-9A45-4A2A-BA3E-017F3CC72F36.jpeg

More “engineering”. I wanted more progression and lower the springrate.
14E39AC7-CB6B-4915-9028-B4A1E6B7DBA0.jpeg

I needed a longer shock to get the link angle but not more stroke so I mixed a 267 body with a 75mm long shaft to make a 255 x 75 shock.
5070F04F-476B-48FA-AFB7-A1A4AB79DAA5.jpeg

I still needed a longer i2i and the piggyback was needing clearance. Shock extender with the shock turned sideways gave the clearance and the angles.
A3DCC7F4-95CE-43C7-8F5C-6F157B988299.jpeg

FB214AD2-5E40-42B6-835B-9FF1C503C35A.jpeg

I’d like to make another link one of these days to lower the spring rate a bit more but this is feeling pretty good for now. The Ohlins cartridge in the 40 also helped calm the ride. It was pretty bad in stock regressive form.
31FCC3F4-C2B8-49F2-BF2F-4EA0D5AA2FF3.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I do.
Here’s the Elka shock with original link. Very regressive with a heavy top out coupled with bottoming out.
View attachment 192610

Old link and first attempt.
View attachment 192609

View attachment 192607

More “engineering”. I wanted more progression and lower the springrate.
View attachment 192603

I needed a longer shock to get the link angle but not more stroke so I mixed a 267 body with a 75mm long shaft to make a 255 x 75 shock.
View attachment 192604

I still needed a longer i2i and the piggyback was needing clearance. Shock extender with the shock turned sideways gave the clearance and the angles.
View attachment 192606

View attachment 192605

I’d like to make another link one of these days to lower the spring rate a bit more but this is feeling pretty good for now. The Ohlins cartridge in the 40 also helped calm the ride. It was pretty bad in stock regressive form.
View attachment 192611
holy crap, talk about options :rofl:

frontmount.JPG

Looks like you've been using the right ones at least!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
holy crap, talk about options :rofl:

View attachment 192612

Looks like you've been using the right ones at least!
Haha, it has so many bad options. I need to make a front shock mount and put the hole higher and more rearward than the best option. If the bearing seats were easier to make then I’d be more motivated to do another link.

I almost lost a finger on the lathe a few days ago. Only 5 stitches though. I’m really learning by doing here with this metal working stuff!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Haha, it has so many bad options. I need to make a front shock mount and put the hole higher and more rearward than the best option. If the bearing seats were easier to make then I’d be more motivated to do another link.

I almost lost a finger on the lathe a few days ago. Only 5 stitches though. I’m really learning by doing here with this metal working stuff!
I was thinking the same thing

frontmount.JPG