Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
There’s a bunch of new gen Li batteries coming on line now with much higher (double or better) capacity to weigh factors. Chinese car company Nio is starting to use their own on their newest models and there are a couple of smaller European and US startups now offering small-run, expensive batteries mostly for aviation stuff. It’s pretty interesting though, you can now get 500w/h in 1kg battery, which will have a huge impact on ebikes and emotos when it trickles down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There’s a bunch of new gen Li batteries coming on line now with much higher (double or better) capacity to weigh factors. Chinese car company Nio is starting to use their own on their newest models and there are a couple of smaller European and US startups now offering small-run, expensive batteries mostly for aviation stuff. It’s pretty interesting though, you can now get 500w/h in 1kg battery, which will have a huge impact on ebikes and emotos when it trickles down.
How was that Africa Twin?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
How was that Africa Twin?
Big, and easy. CRF1100L w. DCT. Only rode up and down a couple of sealed roads in the end, but yes, super super easy to ride. Can see why people like it. Could both feet tip-toe on it and I think that was the regular seat height. Me likey. Was much quieter than I thought it would be.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like the big double discs. Are those them there white power forks?
Nazi Forks with the most amazing Brembo Stylemas. I pretty much got this thing because the brakes are so damn sweet. Last year before they sent assembly to China. Only 2000 miles on it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Serious question: Not based on a duke, that's obviously purpose built.

What's with people taking perfectly good lightweight two stroke dirtbikes and making supermoto street bikes out of them? I cannot possibly think of a worse use for small bore two strokes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Serious question: Not based on a duke, that's obviously purpose built.

What's with people taking perfectly good lightweight two stroke dirtbikes and making supermoto street bikes out of them? I cannot possibly think of a worse use for small bore two strokes.
The Beta (300 2 stroke)I looked at was wired for dual sport lights and with street tires would be nutty. Not something you could commute on, but around town hooligan would be a blast.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The Beta I looked at was wired for dual sport lights and with street tires would be nutty. Not something you could commute on, but around town hooligan would be a blast.
heh, assuming that wiring still works in a week
-happy beta owner

They make the street legal S models. All the other ones are basically euro-registerable spec in terms of all those bonus connections. I stripped every last bit of that off mine, except for the e-start and of course the horn.

I guess lightweight and nimble applies to pavement too but I just saw a pic of a beta 200 (the bike I have) with SM wheels. And I cannot possibly think of a worse bike to ride on pavement.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
heh, assuming that wiring still works in a week
-happy beta owner

They make the street legal S models. All the other ones are basically euro-registerable spec in terms of all those bonus connections. I stripped every last bit of that off mine, except for the e-start and of course the horn.

I guess lightweight and nimble applies to pavement too but I just saw a pic of a beta 200 (the bike I have) with SM wheels. And I cannot possibly think of a worse bike to ride on pavement.
And certainly not as stealth as a Redshift SM. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This looks cool, but I don't know how well it would do off road.

Image1LQ_00000_x800.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This looks cool, but I don't know how well it would do off road.

View attachment 193019
becha I could knock that motor off on a rock in about 5 minutes

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The new Cake Bukk looks pretty sweet.

View attachment 193035
You should definitely hop on one of those before ever buying one

things like 'well established geometry for a reason' seem to escape that company

A friend of a friend here is a west coast rep and quite honestly, those things are pretty whacked

and dude....they named the bike bukkake

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
and dude....they named the bike bukkake
I didn't even notice the name until you mentioned it. :rofl:

Right now the Ultra with 21/18 conversion is looking like the winner. Unless it's totally gutless, then it's will likely be the Storm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not that people buy them for performance, but your average HD is about as fast as your average cheap 400cc Japanese motorcycle.
Seriously, it costs a lot to make a Harley fast. A stock 2 stroke Lambretta would smoke a Harley.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The quickest Harley is the Live Wire, by a significant margin.

Which makes sense. Their only bike that isn't trying to pretend it is still 1930.
My buddy built a monster bike that's pushed the Harley V twin as far as you can. It's fast in a straight line, but you aren't making that corner. It's like 131ci or some crap, he's been trying to sell it for a decade. Sturgis Willie G trophy winner, $65k. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My buddy built a monster bike that's pushed the Harley V twin as far as you can. It's fast in a straight line, but you aren't making that corner. It's like 131ci or some crap, he's been trying to sell it for a decade. Sturgis Willie G trophy winner, $65k. :rofl:

No bullshit sure does have a lot of shit on it

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have been riding the KTM to work this week, had to put the little OEM windscreen on it as at interstate speeds the wind blast was trying to rip my helmet off my head unless I put my chin on the tank. That silly little screen did the job. Getting 60 MPG, which is super impressive for what is an over powered hoon machine. KTM gave it nice tall gearing although I have to work the clutch below 11 MPH. Only thing annoying about that is that to reliably get it into neutral I have to adjust the lever so the engagment point is a lot farther out than I would prefer.