Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
No fancy singletrack, wife isn't interested in that stuff, but had a good day exploring some forest roads like a bay area adventure rider.

I have located some actual singletrack up there that I hope to try riding on a solo mission one of these days, though.

bloos.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No fancy singletrack, wife isn't interested in that stuff, but had a good day exploring some forest roads like a bay area adventure rider.

I have located some actual singletrack up there that I hope to try riding on a solo mission one of these days, though.

View attachment 196004
You'll get a kick out of the comments on this

What they're proposing is opening the existing dirt roads to do exactly what you two did....cruising around looking at scenery.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
One day long ago a buddy and I came fairly close to collapsing from dehydration (or stupidity, take your pick) out at Coe. Some of that shit is super remote with no water and it gets hot as fuck out there. We had filters but found nothing to filter for miles. Eventually some nasty sludge from a horse trough saved us. I would have been pretty stoked to see some throttle twisters that day.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
it gets hot as fuck out there.
yeah the whole nimby whiners don't seem to realize that the 2-3 miles they frequent near the two main entrance points have little to nothing to do with this.

This proposal also only exists because the sierra club sued the state over the expansion of the carnegie SVRA, bought specifically with OHV funds in the 90s, specifically to expand the park. The state basically said they would just leave it as open space but that they would expand access in another state park and specifically got an agreement from the sierra club that they would sit down and shut up. You can guess how that's working out. The people whining the most are the ones that caused this. That place is vast. And there's a huge state protected 'wilderness' just north of the park everyone likes to conveniently ignore.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So I'm in Madeira and i'm in a remote AF mountain village. 1000m above the sea level (it's an Island so true 1000m vert in like 10-20 miles of road) and I stop in a village where some old ladies seem to be preparing a village shrine for some summer solstice event. We decide to stop, buy some food at a local mountain tavern and watch the preparations.

Suddenly we see 4 guys on old AF but very nice looking bikes coming in. No hipster BS of "look at my retro bikes" or "look i'm rich and into classics". 4 working class dudes in old ass helmets on old ass bikes, in ripped clothing stopping for a quick beer (portugal has a 0.05 driving limit). The bikes were really mint even if they are very simple, probably portugese made things.

Seriously tempted to finally get a proper bike licence to rent a bike here when I visit next time. Even if 32% roads might be interesting on a rented low power bike.
bike1.jpg
Bike2.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Hope duo. Both brakes on the right hand. Took off the foot brake because they're stupid.

Trippy and a cool option for sure. If I hadn't already mastered the rear brake with my foot for righting my bike when tripling, I'd giv'r. La burla. You see any motocross this year? I've been digging it for the most part primarily the 250s. Haven't seen any of that WSX shitaqua.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Trippy and a cool option for sure. If I hadn't already mastered the rear brake with my foot for righting my bike when tripling, I'd giv'r. La burla. You see any motocross this year? I've been digging it for the most part primarily the 250s. Haven't seen any of that WSX shitaqua.
I only triple rocks that grand total end up being maybe a bike length. If you've ever hit your back brake on a mountainbike to drop the front, this doesn't feel any different, at least in terms of hand motion.

I watch the races. Didn't go to hangtown because it was a clear, breezeless 98 degrees which translates to 105 when surrounded by drunk shirtless dudes.

250s are about the only reason to watch this year

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Ha! Not a lot of jumps on trails, or even stupid flow shit and berms around here.
Yeah, what's up with Shimoda? I thought he'd be doing better. Haiden is kinda fun to watch..as in keeping it upright at that speed with all his micro recoveries. Unfortunately, his mom will never recover from whatever gawd awful plastic surgery plasticity she has going on!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ha! Not a lot of jumps on trails, or even stupid flow shit and berms around here.
Yeah, what's up with Shimoda? I thought he'd be doing better. Haiden is kinda fun to watch..as in keeping it upright at that speed with all his micro recoveries. Unfortunately, his mom will never recover from whatever gawd awful plastic surgery plasticity she has going on!
I thought that's what you meant when you said tripling.

haiden is future barcia douche, just with a more cheeseball socal background.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
it completely ignores the differences in things like wall thickness

it's written poorly. But that statement is still funny for a piece trying to prop up some gucci ass bike
I wanted to do a titanium frame so bad. That would be so pimp and so light. I spent WAY too much money swapping all the hardware on my R1 to titanium. The chain and sprockets were crazy light and was a 520 pitch chain with a higher sheer strength than the stock 530 at half the weight .

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wanted to do a titanium frame so bad. That would be so pimp and so light. I spent WAY too much money swapping all the hardware on my R1 to titanium. The chain and sprockets were crazy light and was a 520 pitch chain with a higher sheer strength than the stock 530 at half the weight .
I've never ridden either ti or even a street bike but the titanium mountainbikes I've ridden do have kind of a weird flex rebound quality to them. I doubt that means shit for high performance motorcycles but it's not jesus material.

I do know the hardware/nuts/bolts even on dirtbikes break easier

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless you are a world class track monster, lightening an R1 will do more to remove mass from your wallet than it would improve actual achievable performance.

Especially for someone who can't keep a Corvette upright and between the lines.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless you are a world class track monster, lightening an R1 will do more to remove mass from your wallet than it would improve actual achievable performance.

Especially for someone who can't keep a Corvette upright and between the lines.
I was on a mission and it was achieved. It was 167bhp and 392lbs fully dressed when I was done. I didn't get the magnesium wheels, but I did smooth the hell out of the cast OE's.

And while it tried to kill me a couple times, I never dropped it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure I like the idea of an auto clutch, but this looks awesome.

But this big bitch has no auto clutch at 208hp.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, I'm going to finish out the year on my bike, then sell it next spring. I will try the little front wheel, but I think that will be the first thing to change. Possibly a rear spring.

PXL_20230711_183649139.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
get that two stroke beta in the background instead

is that the ultra midsize thing or the full size 900lb one?
That's the Ultra, it's a good size. It's not small like I feared, it's like a 125, feels very flickable and has crazy torque. I was pleasantly surprised by the power in my parking lot trial. I think if it can do a solid 25-30 trail miles on a charge, it would totally work.