Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I‘ve had an honest hankering for an emoto for the last couple of months. My commute will be further shifting to urban warfare and I have so much fun on my ebike- wondering if I can capitalize on the same vibe with a moto that I don’t have to pedal. Not sure I’m really ready to contribute to this thread, but I’m casually eyeballing a Zero Fxe.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I‘ve had an honest hankering for an emoto for the last couple of months. My commute will be further shifting to urban warfare and I have so much fun on my ebike- wondering if I can capitalize on the same vibe with a moto that I don’t have to pedal. Not sure I’m really ready to contribute to this thread, but I’m casually eyeballing a Zero Fxe.
Zero makes a great bike. I still think they are overpriced, but they have been around since like 2005, I think.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Zero makes a great bike. I still think they are overpriced, but they have been around since like 2005, I think.
I've seen the Sondors metacycle dicking around too, which seems perfect for me- low speed, kind of an "advanced moped" or "ebike plus" but the company pulled a startup bro and folded so I'm not sure I want one. I need something for a 15 mile commute that's 100% backroads and city streets- if I got one I'd be a beginner motorcyclist who's a little apprehensive over a clutch and traffic.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've seen the Sondors metacycle dicking around too, which seems perfect for me- low speed, kind of an "advanced moped" or "ebike plus" but the company pulled a startup bro and folded so I'm not sure I want one. I need something for a 15 mile commute that's 100% backroads and city streets- if I got one I'd be a beginner motorcyclist who's a little apprehensive over a clutch and traffic.
Didn't Sondors go belly up?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yep. Not sure what support looks like for them, but that's what I would need. Like a zero from the late 2000s rather than the new ones that are big and powerful.
The dirt bike one isn't that big or even that powerful compared to a gas bike. You also have throttle maps you can adjust the power delivery to suit your comfort level.

JLeeper

Chimp
May 22, 2024
I had the opportunity to rent a Ural on the last month of my trip around Australia back in the day. I was super stoked to have all the cargo room for niceties when glamping but it still wasnt a motorcycle to me, I actually fell asleep on the damn thing
My Ural (Sportsman model) also is full time 2WD which makes it feel more like a jeep than a motorcycle. Super fun, but not very fast. Tops out at about 55mph. The newer ones are much different even though they look the same. Newer bikes have hydraulics, german gearing, fuel injection, can go the speed limit and cost $25-30k.

Last edited:

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Had to change plans last weekend, because our planned route was on fire. Plan B got us onto a fun trail in the woods. It was wife's first moto ride on anything narrower than a forest service road. Even with one slow speed laydown, she enjoyed it a bunch and wants to explore some more trails.

IMG_4170.jpg

trail ride.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Police in Denmark charged a motorcyclist with 86 separate moving violations over the weekend, adding excessive speed, endangering others, even “riding on the rear wheel,” to his rap sheet. Danish authorities, however, were absolutely dumbfounded by one unique factor of the case: Most of the evidence came from the motorcyclist himself, thanks to his helmet-mounted GoPro.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Still buggin' on emotos here. Would love to legalize a SurRon and ride that to work, but it seems to be a surprising challenge to get a plate for those.

I've seen the Sondors Metacycle, Naxeon I.Am, and Ryvid Anthem as fitting that mid-way point between EEB and real motorcycle. Any others?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Still buggin' on emotos here. Would love to legalize a SurRon and ride that to work, but it seems to be a surprising challenge to get a plate for those.

I've seen the Sondors Metacycle, Naxeon I.Am, and Ryvid Anthem as fitting that mid-way point between EEB and real motorcycle. Any others?
If all you are interested in is street why not a G-bike?

At the elevated speeds on roads, even urban streets, the terrible aerodynamics of a motorcycle kind of kill the performance and range of an electric one. There are tons of small, quiet, efficient, relatively inexpensive motorcycles out there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If all you are interested in is street why not a G-bike?

At the elevated speeds on roads, even urban streets, the terrible aerodynamics of a motorcycle kind of kill the performance and range of an electric one. There are tons of small, quiet, efficient, relatively inexpensive motorcycles out there.
Are you talking about this: http://www.shopgbike.com/products/city/silver.html?

It might work, and I've considered just buying a moped. I'd like something that's a bit more fun to ride and I need about 40 miles of range (real actual range, not Tesla inflated BS). Top speed would need to be no more than 50, though it's possible I'd take the highway home occasionally (very rarely, that's the point).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you talking about this: http://www.shopgbike.com/products/city/silver.html?

It might work, and I've considered just buying a moped. I'd like something that's a bit more fun to ride and I need about 40 miles of range (real actual range, not Tesla inflated BS). Top speed would need to be no more than 50, though it's possible I'd take the highway home occasionally (very rarely, that's the point).
I thought he was talking about these.