Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fuel injection is as far as I want to go, myself. Touchscreens and electronic throttles go beyond what I want on two wheels. Not arguing against the future, just saying where I like to be.

MyF650 is pretty good for my purposes; I saw the Tenere as a similarly-spirited ride with the right amount of tech for me.

That said, once back Stateside, it's JBP's Matchless and my Enfield again, probably exclusively. Don't have the wherewithall for more, and hate switching between right- and left- foot shifting.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Fuel injection is as far as I want to go, myself. Touchscreens and electronic throttles go beyond what I want on two wheels. Not arguing against the future, just saying where I like to be.

MyF650 is pretty good for my purposes; I saw the Tenere as a similarly-spirited ride with the right amount of tech for me.

That said, once back Stateside, it's JBP's Matchless and my Enfield again, probably exclusively. Don't have the wherewithall for more, and hate switching between right- and left- foot shifting.
I have pretty much grown accustom to the dash accruements of the BMW and now judges everything else against it and find myself disappointed always. I dont think anybody can come close to the iphone-esque refinement that BMW has reached. I have yet to find a screen, dash or input method that even comes close. Thus I am all or none, and most of my other bikes are either old enough in tech or primarily moto that there is no tech on the bars.

IMG_0281.JPG

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I love the cable-driven Smith's tacho on the Matchless.

The drive unit can go fuck right off, but I think I got it sorted and it won't explode anymore, lol.

I have pretty much grown accustom to the dash accruements of the BMW and now judges everything else against it and find myself disappointed always. I dont think anybody can come close to the iphone-esque refinement that BMW has reached. I have yet to find a screen, dash or input method that even comes close. Thus I am all or none, and most of my other bikes are either old enough in tech or primarily moto that there is no tech on the bars.

View attachment 172157
The last thing I'd want were I to get back into motorcycles would be a face full of electronic displays. Full attention wants to go to the road and the bike.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Screenshot_20220219-135637_Telegram.jpg

older brother bought this....will be doing a 10 day tour of colorado with younger brother and his bmw...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The last thing I'd want were I to get back into motorcycles would be a face full of electronic displays. Full attention wants to go to the road and the bike.
My Triumph had a high contrast digital display that I found to be more useful than traditional gages as it was easier to see than a little needle in my periferal vision. There was no reason to interact with it while actually riding. Felt it was good example that auto companies could learn from.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have zero experience but thought about getting a KTM free ride or trials bike. Will I most likely die?
I rode a 125cc dirt bike in the 90’s for about 5 minutes, ended up hitting the side of a garage because I was grabbing for rear brake but it was the clutch

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Learned to ride on one of these.

1645317941018.png

We then moved to a non riding friendly area, and yea... Thought about it over the years, but I ended up spending my extra cash on footcycles instead.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
whats a 'display?'
I have zero experience but thought about getting a KTM free ride or trials bike. Will I most likely die?
I rode a 125cc dirt bike in the 90’s for about 5 minutes, ended up hitting the side of a garage because I was grabbing for rear brake but it was the clutch
dirt bikes have an amazing self filtering feature. Like a horse. Gotta treat it right to not get thrown off.

I just wish mountainbike trails were the same way these days

I hate trials bikes just fyi. Friggin wierd

sounds like you need a sur ron

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am officially down to two bikes after this week of thinning the herd. But the quiver is very capable after years of owning different bikes I think I am happy for now.

2020 KTM 500 EXC-f
5 gal IMS rally tank (390 mile range)​
Cyclops LED Rally lights​
Vortex ECU​
Mapping switch​
Rekluse Clutch​
Akro exhaust​
TI header​
Euro subframe​
Carbon skid plate​
Birch controls​
Birch pegs​
ASV levers​
Left hand rear brake kit​
SDI rear Bladder and tuned ohlins shock​
MST huck valves and bleeder​
Scott steering dampener​
Seat concepts seat​
Trail tech voyager​
Giant loop Tank bag​
Giant loop Coyote bag​
Giant loop Great basin soft luggage​

2020 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
8.2 gal tank (480 mile range)​
Garmin nav 6 integrated system​
Rowe Distribution system​
Adaptive quick shift kit​
Hinson clutch​
Bimmer engine mapping system​
Ohlins tuned aftermarket suspension via ted porter​
Live dampening suspension mapper​
Alum and soft panniers​
1700lb Warn winch​
Cyclops rally lights​
Heated grips​
Heated corbin gunfighter seat​
Giant loop tank bag​
IMS ADV II pegs​
Rizoma levers​
SW motech skids​
Touratech crashbars​
Touratech pannier racks​
Touratech dampening bar risers​
Touratech adjustable screen​

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Been a lot of good deals on used KTM 500's since peeps have been offloading them for the fuel injected versions. I had 2 of them myself and loved them. I do a ton of week longs off the 500 and love it
If you see something not 10k send them over. I'm a CA resident so I'd like to be able to plate it because dumbasses in the legislature here and dirt roads.... Although this would be mostly NV. I'm kinda over caring though. The right bike plateable or not I'd probably jump on. Those 500s are at the top of the fancy list. Old wr450fs the meat of the searches.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
If you see something not 10k send them over. I'm a CA resident so I'd like to be able to plate it because dumbasses in the legislature here and dirt roads.... Although this would be mostly NV. I'm kinda over caring though. The right bike plateable or not I'd probably jump on. Those 500s are at the top of the fancy list. Old wr450fs the meat of the searches.
Yeah, I bet finding a plated bike will be the issue since the DMV's are screening via road legal vin numbers now. I really liked my WR450, was a hell of a bike.

1647659057144.png

This was a week long get together with some homies in eastern OR when I had the toy hauler, My WR on the right, my XR650r on the left. The reason I liked the WR was you can actually do something with the forks and shock unlike a DR or KLR

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Jon is currently on a tour of the Adirondacks with his sister. On his YamahaWR250 Its Mud season there. Sounds like a blast.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

View attachment 172157
where is this...looks like i should be familiar with it...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I liked the idea of the Freeride but it isn't street legal. The Alta was perfect and I should have bought it when I had a chance. I still might find one second hand and ride the wheels off it.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I liked the idea of the Freeride but it isn't street legal. The Alta was perfect and I should have bought it when I had a chance. I still might find one second hand and ride the wheels off it.
Really? We have 2 plated Freerides. But the 4 stroke ones. The E freeride has terrible range, by the way. My buddy in town has one. I hear the new battery is better.

@boogenman My wife is loving her Freeride 350 way more than her trials bike. The geometry on the trials bike is odd after you get over the hump unless you like very tech slow riding or incredibly steep shit. Otherwise the Freeride is mellow and easy to ride.
You will not die and it will be fun as fuck. We got into it in our mid thirties.

BB24E9E8-EBF4-490B-8AE9-6CF87E257821.jpeg

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I want another Motorcycle. I want something good on the road and capable on the trail. Looking at used right now. Not much out there.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yamaha Tenere 700 is where I would go for that, depending on how much trail I wanted to do...otherwise a 400ish dual sport is the ticket, no?

Unless you can find that elusive and expensive xr650r

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The only freeride available in the states is the electric one.

The gas ones were only sold here for a year or two

So theyre around used but few and far between.
I didn't even know there was a gas version. I associated the freeride name with the emoto.