Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Oh, I had no idea they didn’t sell them over there. The 350 with exhaust and a map switch is too much power for that style geometry, I think. Or I can’t personally get more out of it like that. Never tried the 250 because I heard they didn’t run very well.

@kidwoo My buddy at work has this Tenere. Pretty cool bike. He does guided trips around Italy if any of you guys are interested.

96A8C194-F840-4EF3-BA73-628A3CAAFC7D.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've only ridden that 250 two stroke version and it's fun as hell. Way more fun than I would have expected from all the 'trials bike' descriptions. It's actually a really fun singletrack bike (that you can go up anything with obviously). On wooded singletrack, at no point did I feel it was 'too slow' at all. I didn't even think about it.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've only ridden that 250 two stroke version and it's fun as hell. Way more fun than I would have expected from all the 'trials bike' descriptions. It's actually a really fun singletrack bike (that you can go up anything with obviously). On wooded singletrack, at no point did I feel it was 'too slow' at all. I didn't even think about it.
Yeah, they are fun! Did you try one with trials tires? I think they are a lot more fun with good knobbies.

The XR were never sold here and only the XL models. Some French friends have XR 200 & XR 250s and it is amazing what they can get up with those old bikes.

8A3C9D52-155C-4B78-AAE2-D5A9B011EE3E.jpeg

Are you doing any Lectron carb or anything on your 2 strokes? For altitude and stuff? I can’t remember if you already told me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are you doing any Lectron carb or anything on your 2 strokes? For altitude and stuff? I can’t remember if you already told me.
Not a lectron but something that works similarly. They're called stic metering blocks. It's a different jet block you put in a keihn and it meters based on air pressure. I've got a really gnarly one in my 125 and just put a toned down version in my 250. Besides the altitude stuff they bear load insanely well....as in I can lug the shit out of my 125 up steep slow rocks with it and it won't fall off. They're pretty neat. I don't think jetting carbs is hard, I use them for the load resistance more than anything else.

I bought a lectron with my first bike and I could never get it to work right.

I bet those hondas are fun but I draw the line at couch seats ;)

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I just like putting around and climbing hills. Local dealer has a couple tw200s I keep thinking I would have fun on one.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
oh dang

that only exists because you put a deposit down with stark futures
I actually cancelled it since it won't be homo, I was disappointed. This is very tempting as it is street legal.

Stark said a street legal bike will be soon, but heard that before.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Yesterday it was closed, so I went by the motorcycle store today. Yep of three tw200’s there was one left annnnnnnd it was sold. Dammit got my checkbook out for nothing.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
122F727F-F44A-479C-A6E1-935832D15131.jpeg

The weather is super nice and I did buy a new helmet so rode this thing to the burger stand. Full throttle most of the way.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
well then........

enjoy your new alta!
This is actually a strong competitor.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is actually a strong competitor.

I haven't seen much about those out in the wild. Weaker than altas and equally tanky

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't seen much about those out in the wild. Weaker than altas and equally tanky
The only issue I have with the Alta is that there is zero support should things go south. No replacement pretty much anything. The Sur Ron has been proven to be pretty reliable to a point and there is a ton of support. The last thing I need is a $10k boat anchor.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Those Alta's are super rad and tempting. Part of me is like "YOLO!" but a bigger/smarter part agrees that it's not a great idea to buy something like that for which there will be essentially zero support and replacement parts. What happened to that company really sucks, would love to see it make a comeback.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those Alta's are super rad and tempting. Part of me is like "YOLO!" but a bigger/smarter part agrees that it's not a great idea to buy something like that for which there will be essentially zero support and replacement parts. What happened to that company really sucks, would love to see it make a comeback.
Seriously. Everyone is realizing just how epic that bike really was. It's 5 years old and there still isn't much to compare it to. When I saw the flat tracker with carbon wheels, that bike was perfect.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was looking at them pretty closely last year and trying to figure out what was replaceable. You'd probably have to build a subframe if you broke the stock one but there's a LOT of KTM/WP stuff on there that would carryover. Frame is way burlier in person than it looks in pics. You can buy plastics still.....it's mostly battery, motor and proprietary electronics that are the hassle if something goes wrong.....and frankly those are proving to be pretty damn durable.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Seriously. Everyone is realizing just how epic that bike really was. It's 5 years old and there still isn't much to compare it to. When I saw the flat tracker with carbon wheels, that bike was perfect.
The tech in that EV field is advancing so fast that it a seemingly constant game of catch up. It seems every year something new has twice the power, range and less charge time for even less. Same can be said for E-bikes really. I think I will hold out until I see something spectacular that checks all my boxes, until then I am fine with a surron for a fraction of the price.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The tech in that EV field is advancing so fast that it a seemingly constant game of catch up. It seems every year something new has twice the power, range and less charge time for even less. Same can be said for E-bikes really. I think I will hold out until I see something spectacular that checks all my boxes, until then I am fine with a surron for a fraction of the price.
What you're saying is true, and yet 5 years later the Alta is still attractive. Imagine what they'd have now, or 5 years from now.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Husky 350 would be fine on trails, but it wouldn't commute. The 501s can and a guy in the office has one. Trying to find one under $10k. :rofl: