Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
He doesn't know much about cars. That's why he loves teslas.

Those TW's come with any kind of stated cargo/2nd passenger load limit? I'm curious how much camping gear you could stuff on one.
I love Tesla, one of my best customers. Tesla cars I find ugly, they should just put something on the front of it. I’m not gunna drive a porpoise, I care about the environment that much.

I didn’t seem to get a owners manual so I’ll find one or look it up online. It does have passenger foot pegs so that good. I think I read you can get a rack that ties into the pass peg mounts. Stock it’s got this lame sticker but it looks and feels stouter. I didn’t get it for camping but that sounds fun. I saw larger fuel tanks for it too. Thinking I’ll probably need a dg exhaust for it, but I like quite.
F250368B-0607-4745-850E-11D5A52E0DD4.jpeg
368E0810-BD2B-42DD-B012-CE338AB3A39C.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Do any of y’all ride with knee braces? I have one knee that has been blown out and the other is a work in progress. Leatt has a couple of nice options.
I have what could be called a 'no knee' situation. I can't even step into a sneaker. On that side I use a donjoy unloader brace that fits over a kneepad. I haven't tried them all by any means but I've never been that impressed with what pad companies call knee braces.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have what could be called a 'no knee' situation. I can't even step into a sneaker. On that side I use a donjoy unloader brace that fits over a kneepad. I haven't tried them all by any means but I've never been that impressed with what pad companies call knee braces.

Is that like this? https://icarusmedical.com/icarus-products/

Friend connected me with the founder of that company thinking it would be a good job match but I was rather uninterested in working on what is essentially a fancy hinge amongst other reasons. The dude certainly thought his hinge was revolutionary.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I love Tesla, one of my best customers. Tesla cars I find ugly, they should just put something on the front of it. I’m not gunna drive a porpoise, I care about the environment that much.

I didn’t seem to get a owners manual so I’ll find one or look it up online. It does have passenger foot pegs so that good. I think I read you can get a rack that ties into the pass peg mounts. Stock it’s got this lame sticker but it looks and feels stouter. I didn’t get it for camping but that sounds fun. I saw larger fuel tanks for it too. Thinking I’ll probably need a dg exhaust for it, but I like quite.View attachment 174562View attachment 174563
Jump on the tw Facebook groups, kinda like a nerd herd but you will fit in fine

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is that like this? https://icarusmedical.com/icarus-products/

Friend connected me with the founder of that company thinking it would be a good job match but I was rather uninterested in working on what is essentially a fancy hinge amongst other reasons. The dude certainly thought his hinge was revolutionary.
Mine is the one that dude copied

That hinge design has been universal in knee braces for 30+ years

I saw those icarus things when they came out. I couldn't figure out what they were doing different from anyone else. Maybe just a cheaper store bought one?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Ah I see. I am currently wearing a donjoy playmaker full stop brace. Might be worth finding a pad that is compatible with it somehow. I really don’t want to spend $7-800 for something that is meh.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mine is the one that dude copied

That hinge design has been universal in knee braces for 30+ years

I saw those icarus things when they came out. I couldn't figure out what they were doing different from anyone else. Maybe just a cheaper store bought one?

it is a startup so it has to be better. Scanned and 3-D printed fit I think. Could get the same results with thermoformed plastic like used in ski boots and other medical braces.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ah I see. I am currently wearing a donjoy bionic full stop brace. Might be worth finding a pad that is compatible with it somehow. I really don’t want to spend $7-800 for something that is meh.
I don't really see how you could get a pad in that donjoy since it relies on so much fabric to work.

If you do decide to get a more external cage something or other:
This is what I currently use under the brace

They become so immobile once you get a little sweat on them, they're actually really hard to take off when you're done riding. Helps keep the brace on something solid.

These are a good option if you want a hard cap. I used the predecessor to these previously.

No affiliation with ixs, I've just tried a lot of pads and think they make by far the best shit that's made to actually crash in, instead of being 'pedal friendly'

The brace I use is definitely a prescription item. It's expensive but it really does work. There's also a slightly cheaper version that doesn't have the unloader axis adjustable. What I've found with those things is that it's pretty easy to find a rep who can give you non-stupid pricing if your insurance company won't pony up. Let me know if you want to do something like that. I live in a ski town so there are resources on that front.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Scanned and 3-D printed fit I think.
That right there would keep me from ever buying one. I've had custom fitted braces and they never end up working throughout the year. Legs change shape, especially in genuinely active people. Even post surgery braces from 'the big companies' like donjoy and ossur come as customizeable off the shelf braces now. They don't even bother with custom fitting stuff anymore because it never fits once you start getting busy again. They did that 20 years ago and stopped doing it for a reason, even though they made way more money off of it.

That icarus looks nice and light but that's also a potentially red flag.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I pulled the little bike out yesterday to get it ready for some trailbuilding/shoulder season. New handlebar with less backsweep and a @kidwoo duo Hope lever. I think I might try and make the fork better. I just don’t know how yet.

3991F198-DC88-4DBD-83F1-C54CD363BB18.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When you go to use it, use BOTH. I kept trying to just use the front brake since that's what I was used to but since neither lever is truly centered on the handlebar centerline, just grabbing both will keep you from whisky throttling it. You don't even have to use the rear, just put your fingers on both. You'll see what I mean.

For the adapter I've got two different versions. The first with a drilled and tapped bolt that just fits the caliper thread. But trust me, the stolen bmx brake stud is a ready made version. It literally is an already made adapter. At some point I'm going to take the drilled bolt off and put one of those on. It's so much better a fit.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
When you go to use it, use BOTH. I kept trying to just use the front brake since that's what I was used to but since neither lever is truly centered on the handlebar centerline, just grabbing both will keep you from whisky throttling it. You don't even have to use the rear, just put your fingers on both. You'll see what I mean.

For the adapter I've got two different versions. The first with a drilled and tapped bolt that just fits the caliper thread. But trust me, the stolen bmx brake stud is a ready made version. It literally is an already made adapter. At some point I'm going to take the drilled bolt off and put one of those on. It's so much better a fit.
Ok! I’ll try.

I found 3 different kinds of brake studs in a drawer and they are close but I think I will just make something on my lathe. Then I can do it nao. I have been making stuff like this a lot lately and I think I can I think I can I think I can. If I can’t then I will order the bmx ones.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

I don't know what the brembos are in terms of size and pitch but the stolen one matched the nissins on my yamahas. They make a few different ones so there's probably one there. But yeah if you've got real tools just make one.

And use teflon tape.
The brake studs I have didn’t have the right thread pitch for the Brembo lever I stuck it in yesterday.

Only the fanciest of fancies around here. It’s fuggin Switzerland! This thing probably even made some Rolex’s

Ok, will do.

36F1FC1C-310E-423A-B1A3-5EE564247D40.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oh

stolen is the brand of brake bosses ;)

It's amazing how 'durability' was something that was built into machines at one point ain't it?

Stoked you're trying this. I'll be curious to see what another mountainbiker thinks. I fuckin love it. Ironically so have a lot of dirtbike only guys who have tried mine. Kills wheelies though. That's about the only downside.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Not yet, just sidetracked. It snowed again. The sun baked wind slabs were calling!

I have the same studs as the ones from Stolen like you recommended however my Formula caliper on the front brake needs it’s own adapter. I‘ll get to it. I have an Ox Brake Hydro for the rear so I wouldn’t loose the rear foot brake function, btw. Have you seen those? Then you don’t kill your wheelies.

I did do 2 laps with @Lelandjt yesterday and he rode one of my steel bikes. He shredded it and lived to tell the tale. Sweet as!