Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Saw one of these today

$11-$14k for a scooter :sarcastic:

I am pretty sure like the Electric Hummer it has a larger carbon footprint than it's gas equivalent.
looks rad

motor rad

motorrad.JPG

Also looks like it weighs more than my tacoma

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, so after WAY too much looking, I think I might have a bike. All the plated bikes are either WAY too expensive or they suck. Electric bikes just aren't there yet, but soon. So a good woods bike with electric start and fuel injection?

KTM 350 SX-F? There are a half dozen from '12-'17 for $4500 or less. I think this might be just about right.

Unless they totally suck.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those 350s are pretty fun, I say. I’m partial to the KTMs for off-road enduro plated bikes. On the 300 2t the 2016 is supposed to be the best frame and overall most dialed bike, so I’m told.
They keep selling before I get a chance to see any of them. '17, '14, now a '15 have all sold.

There is a '16 YZ450F anniversary edition. It's a woods bike that's not been in the dunes. I had an '06 yellow the @gonefirefightin might recall. That bike was nutty and an electric start fuel injected version might be even nuttier. So if the last KTM doesn't pan out, I might get the yellow monster.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There is a '16 YZ450F anniversary edition. It's a woods bike that's not been in the dunes.
do not get that bike

No matter how 'woods bike' the owner tells you, it is an angry violent beast with suspension that only works when crushing children at 60mph (unless that's your thing)

If he really wanted a woods bike he would have started here

But he didn't. Because he wanted to kill children.

I despise everything about the KTM cult but those 350s are pretty legit. I'd expect some valve checking and a new piston at those prices though.

Couldn't find a WR?

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
do not get that bike

No matter how 'woods bike' the owner tells you, it is an angry violent beast with suspension that only works when crushing children at 60mph (unless that's your thing)

I despise everything about the KTM cult but those 350s are pretty legit. I'd expect some valve checking and a new piston at those prices though.

Couldn't find a WR?
There is one WR at a dealer 3 hours away that is $6k. They also have a couple KTM 350's so I was planning to make a trip this weekend if something local didn't pan out.

The YZ sold an hour ago. There is a '10 Husaberg FE that's plated, but as much as I loved my Berg, parts and maintenance were a pain in the ass.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Right now on the 350 sxf front there is a '14 an hour away sale pending and a '12 3 hours away still available.

There is another '14 but it has had a ton of work done and I would rather cause my own problems.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There is nothing sporty about a Sportster. Its shitty right from the get-go. Keeps being shitty until you turn it off. Sitting there on the curb is as cool as it gets. It's the jeep of motorcycles.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Right now on the 350 sxf front there is a '14 an hour away sale pending and a '12 3 hours away still available.

There is another '14 but it has had a ton of work done and I would rather cause my own problems.
If you plan to mainly do woods/enduro stuff the sxf will have pretty firm suspension and a 19” rear over the 18” on most woods rides. Not that you can’t have fun on a baby crushing moto bike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There is nothing sporty about a Sportster. Its shitty right from the get-go. Keeps being shitty until you turn it off. Sitting there on the curb is as cool as it gets. It's the jeep of motorcycles.
Not untrue, but I would still love to take an 883, bore it to 1340 with flowed heads and internal go fast bits to match, put some appropriately-set pegs on it and some fork emulators and good rear shocks, with dual 19" wheels and a chain drive. Turd, polished...but that's kinda my style and it would be hilarious to have a sleeper monster of a Sporty that could crush big twins.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not untrue, but I would still love to take an 883, bore it to 1340 with flowed heads and internal go fast bits to match, put some appropriately-set pegs on it and some fork emulators and good rear shocks, with dual 19" wheels and a chain drive. Turd, polished...but that's kinda my style and it would be hilarious to have a sleeper monster of a Sporty that could crush big twins.
And it would STILL be 700# and 48hp with a top speed of 72mph. :rofl:

I bought the wife an 883 with hope she might try it. That bike was so sketch with NO power at all stock and was a bitch to move.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you plan to mainly do woods/enduro stuff the sxf will have pretty firm suspension and a 19” rear over the 18” on most woods rides. Not that you can’t have fun on a baby crushing moto bike.
My Berg had a 19 rear and it was awesome for tech trails in the rocks and sticks. It was the MX version, but did awesome in the woods, just basically rolling in 2nd gear and picking lines.

My YZ was high strung, but was a blast. You just had to go fast is all.it was also a bitch to start sometimes

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
do not get that bike

Couldn't find a WR?
I’ve never ridden a Yamaha WR450 that wasn’t tall and heavy compared to a KTM. It’s been a while though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’ve never ridden a Yamaha WR450 that wasn’t tall and heavy compared to a KTM. It’s been a while though.
I've only ridden a wr250r and that thing sucked. But that was a different frame that didn't mimic the yzs. I guess the older and newer ones are supposed to be better.

Any of you guys run sticky rear tires in the woods? Those are a big help around these parts.
yes, but as you may find surprising......I got issues with most of the tread designs :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

derp, I can't read

Didn't realize you were talking about the sxf. Those are are even worse than the yzfx, especially if that was the 4cs fork years

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
derp, I can't read

Didn't realize you were talking about the sxf. Those are are even worse than the yzfx, especially if that was the 4cs fork years
What's wrong with the sxf? They seem to be one of the bikes of choice around here.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What's wrong with the sxf? They seem to be one of the bikes of choice around here.
Like sunringlerider said, it's a track bike. Hard acceleration, stiff suspension for big compressions.....I guess I was assuming you were looking for something kinda woodsy, kinda road legal kinda different.

Looks like the closed cartridge fork not the 4cs so that's good

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Like sunringlerider said, it's a track bike. Hard acceleration, stiff suspension for big compressions.....I guess I was assuming you were looking for something kinda woodsy, kinda road legal kinda different.

Looks like the closed cartridge fork not the 4cs so that's good
I wanted something road legal but the pickings are slim. My rides are woods, Browns Camp is technical, China Hat is higher speed. I'm not a desert dunes person, I prefer rides that require skills and effort.

The SXF's I have been looking at have all been set up for trails, so I figured they should work. But none of these bitches are panning out. I think I will suck it up, up my budget and just buy the stupid WR like I am supposed to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wanted something road legal but the pickings are slim. My rides are woods, Browns Camp is technical, China Hat is higher speed. I'm not a desert dunes person, I prefer rides that require skills and effort.

The SXF's I have been looking at have all been set up for trails, so I figured they should work. But none of these bitches are panning out. I think I will suck it up, up my budget and just buy the stupid WR like I am supposed to.
the appeal of a WR (to me at least) is price because tons used, very readily available parts and tons of knowledge out there, very tunable kyb suspension, street legal.

Buckow might know better but this frame style seems to be the one to stay away from. That looks like the one I've ridden and yeah it was a top heavy mess.

sounds like you just need to spend the money on a newer ktm/husky 500 ;)

beta might have some good options too. More and more of those popping up.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the appeal of a WR (to me at least) is price because tons used, very readily available parts and tons of knowledge out there, very tunable kyb suspension, street legal.

Buckow might know better but this frame style seems to be the one to stay away from. That looks like the one I've ridden and yeah it was a top heavy mess.

sounds like you just need to spend the money on a newer ktm/husky 500 ;)

beta might have some good options too. More and more of those popping up.
There are some nice Betas. My last bike was an '05 (was supposed to be an '06) WR450 that was an incredible bike. I never should have sold it or the wife's bike. I just bought her another bike last weekend, that's why I'm scrambling to find something for me.

I know it's way easier to spend a little more on mine because she already has hers. :rofl:

The one at Power is a '12 so it's fuel injected.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok

Great! Did you pick up the bike yet? Let see a pic.

We might go for a moto ride too. My wife rides a KTM 350 Freeride.
I KNOW I was supposed to get a WR but the universe had other plans and I'm not one to argue.

The baby killer...

Screenshot_20220505-122049.png

It's so cherry and was so cheap. The first owner took it to the dunes and scared him (came with a wheel with paddle). He sold it to a guy who took it to Browns Camp and it was too much for him, too. I tried it and it feels perfect.

I have a kickstand, sprockets, and temp gauge on the way. I will regear it (from 13/48 to 12/52) remap the FI (came with runner)I and it should work out real nice. If not, I can resell it for more than what I paid and get something else.

I got the wife the same bike she had before, Kymco Mongoose. It has a CVT so it's gas and go. They can be tricky to find used, but as soon as I found it, I snagged it.

This was $2600 (after the crap I bought, otherwise $3k) less than the WR, it's lighter, and I'm a sucker. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So funny story. After I talked with the guy at the dealership, I went back to work. Smoke break, I am sitting in the shed surfing Facebook marketplace and 2012 WR450F $3800 in Oregon City. Holy hell, send a message, I'll be there in a bit.

Ditch my last meeting, hit the bank and haul ass to OC. I get there and it's sitting on a triangle stand. WTF? I get closer and see YZ450 down the side. I know my smoke break wasn't that long, I swear it said WR. It started 2nd kick with skate shoes on. He said he would take $3500, sold.

I still swear the ad said WR. But I really think this will work. It's minimal investment to try at least.