Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
There's nothing like blowing a ton a money to build a snowbike that's heavier, less hp, more awkward, and with way less flotation than a production snowmobile. Not to mention in an awkwardly handling streetbike chasey

chasey
chasey
chasey
So, chase all the things?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There's nothing like blowing a ton a money to build a snowbike that's heavier, less hp, more awkward, and with way less flotation than a production snowmobile. Not to mention in an awkwardly handling streetbike chasey

chasey
chasey
chasey
I'm sure he makes it all back and then some just in clicks. But what else you gonna do with a 'Busa, ride it on the street? :rofl:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
*sigh*

No I fix the spokes and true the wheel, which are not part of the tire. Look man if you're gonna start the convo about being picky about terminology, you really gotta get yer shit together!

You've never heard people describe all things wheel as 'tire?'
One should always remove the tire when truing a wheel and inspect it and repair/patch if the spoke damaged the tire or tube.

Ultimately I’m glad i irritated you though.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I'M TALKING TO JUNKYARD!

(the person, not my garage)
((this time))

"oh man he bent his front tire"

I've heard that shit my entire life
Maybe you should stop hanging out with rednecks. I’ve never heard that though and would act confused because I would be.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Way more appropriate, I think but the Surron is supposed to be here next month to try out. This would be a great bike, though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This at 105# and $3k? Sure.

velimotor_vmx_08_electric_dirt_bike_0.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This at 105# and $3k? Sure.

View attachment 188304
motor on the swingarm for more unsprung weight.

awesome

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Do you remove the tire from your front forks first?
absolutely, and while the multiple forks are free, I usually take a look at the dampnerers

I've got a 200 2t beta race edition. That KYB suspension is the best I've ridden on any dirtbike. I haven't ridden everything obviously but I've owned two yamahas, ridden some more 4ts, and been on just about every recent edition kasvarvna 300. Whatever beta is getting out of kyb is freakin awesome.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
absolutely, and while the multiple forks are free, I usually take a look at the dampnerers

I've got a 200 2t beta race edition. That KYB suspension is the best I've ridden on any dirtbike. I haven't ridden everything obviously but I've owned two yamahas, ridden some more 4ts, and been on just about every recent edition kasvarvna 300. Whatever beta is getting out of kyb is freakin awesome.
I've heard that about Betas KYB suspension and they have a 200 and other race models at my local dealer. Looks nice and I have to say, what about that wiring...only heard stories of bad and also that you can robustify it. You do anything electrical special on your rig? Next year I'll be in the market. I have to say that the ability to add a kikker is damn nice.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've heard that about Betas KYB suspension and they have a 200 and other race models at my local dealer. Looks nice and I have to say, what about that wiring...only heard stories of bad and also that you can robustify it. You do anything electrical special on your rig? Next year I'll be in the market. I have to say that the ability to add a kikker is damn nice.
what wiring?

:D
200ride1.jpg

I ripped all that shit out and put a 'race' harness in that does nothing but dirtbike. Added an hour meter too. It keeps the starter but as soon as that goes bad I've got a kicker and I'll never think about it again unless I sell it.

I keep a bar mount cateye mtb light in my pack if I need to see past dusk.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Once you've got a kicker only, you could drop the battery and just put a capacitor in...don't know if the hour meter needs a steadier feed of juice tho. The capacitors do lead to pretty large fluctuations at low RPM.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Once you've got a kicker only, you could drop the battery and just put a capacitor in...don't know if the hour meter needs a steadier feed of juice tho. The capacitors do lead to pretty large fluctuations at low RPM.
Hour meter is just a normal watch battery powered thing, no electricity from the vehicle. 20 dollar shit for mx bikes.

That's the first ride I got on it just to check jetting and basic setup stuff, the kickstarter was on about an hour later. These things have a capacitor pack so you might be able to upgrade/modify to something strong enough to store a starting charge. I've wondered why more bike companies don't do this. Skidoo did with sleds but they've been pretty problematic.

The starter is the weight, the battery is kind of mindblowingly light. I'm pretty sure it's just a plastic case with a magic spell in it.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Intriguing
Just know that the clutch on the 200s is kinda trash. I don't know why but they use a minibike/old trials bike style clutch with the slave cylinder in the clutch cover. It gets hot and drags, to the point where it won't start and idle with the clutch pulled. Some people have problems with them slipping/squealing but I haven't.

I put a slightly larger diameter master lever on to push more fluid and it does help. I'd rather have a cable clutch on everything, as they're more precise. KTM makes good hydro clutches but this one kinda sucks. If they revise that clutch, I'd probably buy a new one

Other than that, I friggin love the bike though. It has kind of a trials-ish motor, all bottom end. Dynos I've seen have it at the same torque as a 250 and even some 300s. Just nothing for peak hp or top end. For tighter bumpier and even flowy stuff it's about the best trail bike I've been on. For more wide open stuff I'd look at something like a yz125x

Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Just know that the clutch on the 200s is kinda trash. I don't know why but they use a minibike/old trials bike style clutch with the slave cylinder in the clutch cover. It gets hot and drags, to the point where it won't start and idle with the clutch pulled. Some people have problems with them slipping/squealing but I haven't.

I put a slightly larger diameter master lever on to push more fluid and it does help. I'd rather have a cable clutch on everything, as they're more precise. KTM makes good hydro clutches but this one kinda sucks. If they revise that clutch, I'd probably buy a new one

Other than that, I friggin love the bike though. It has kind of a trials-ish motor, all bottom end. Dynos I've seen have it at the same torque as a 250 and even some 300s. Just nothing for peak hp or top end. For tighter bumpier and even flowy stuff it's about the best trail bike I've been on. For more wide open stuff I'd look at something like a yz125x
Thanks for the info! What kind of clutch? Can the slave be entirely replaced? You use the stock head? Sounds like a fun rig other than the all important clutch!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks for the info! What kind of clutch? Can the slave be entirely replaced? You use the stock head? Sounds like a fun rig other than the all important clutch!

Nah it sucks. Take a look at the right side of a beta 125 or 200 and look at the clutch cover. That's your system. I've stared at that thing for hours trying to come up with a way to modify it.

I also ride a lot of tight, techy stuff to so I probably modulate my clutch more than the throttle. I'm that douche, so keep that in mind too.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Nah it sucks. Take a look at the right side of a beta 125 or 200 and look at the clutch cover. That's your system. I've stared at that thing for hours trying to come up with a way to modify it.

I also ride a lot of tight, techy stuff to so I probably modulate my clutch more than the throttle. I'm that douche, so keep that in mind too.
I'm that douche too! It is a required technique for the goodies and I'm coo with it...it's all about traction anyway eh?!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator