Quantcast

Motorcycles are fun.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Got to spend the day riding KTM bikes at B.I.R. on Tuesday. I haven't been on a street bike in a couple years, nothing like being giving the key and told go nuts. So I did seat time on a 2011 KTM RC8 and also the KTM 990 SMR.

The RC8 is just so not for me, don't like that seating position and I am not aboy racer anymore, but what an enigine, stupid smooth with forever building power, I would have never thought that a 1200cc twin that had that much power would just be a kitten for throttle control.

Then there is the SMR, maybe my bias since I have had Supermotos for over ten years, but boy did me and that bike gel, nice smooth power even though it is only pushing 110 at the crank, handling was my style, foot out worked just perfect, brakes are over the top fun, 120 to zero no fade not grabby just what a person wants out of a brake.

So yeah, I almost want to go buy a street bike right now, it is tempting.

One other thing, the rule was you crash it you buy it, well one guy had a little get off.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The RC8 is sick. I still want the 990 Superduke, but an instructor at the Ride Oregon class had the 990SM and it was bad ass, too.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
looks like it cracked upwards when the guy dumped it
The license plate bracket was removed already, the subframe was folded up and the rear body panel popped apart in the middle, also notice the clutch cover and front wheel, the triple clamp is straight, even the steerering damper shaft is bent.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The license plate bracket was removed already, the subframe was folded up and the rear body panel popped apart in the middle, also notice the clutch cover and front wheel, the triple clamp is straight, even the steerering damper shaft is bent.
oh man, i didnt even notice the cocked wheel and busted bars.
that was a expensive mistake

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Superduke isn't that heavy, is it? The final numbers on my R1 was right at 390# with a full tank of gas after all was said and done. So at 167bhp, the power to weight ratio was crazy.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
according to KTM the '11 Supermoto 990 R (superduke) is 417lbs without fuel. 0.o

hardly a supermoto at that weight. Heavier than my 675cc street bike, and a whole hell of a lot heavier than the ~260 of my 510.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
The Superduke isn't that heavy, is it? The final numbers on my R1 was right at 390# with a full tank of gas after all was said and done. So at 167bhp, the power to weight ratio was crazy.
131hp 410#

Hard to make a twin light, hard to make a new R1 light either.

So 20 pounds can be lost by a pair of cans on my bike, I can toss some bling and loose more.

That said, I have had time flogging a SMR and an RC8 on a race track, I can't use the bike for what it has there and the bikes were stock.

Power isn't something I am really after, but I do like a light bike.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The plastics and the massive headlight crap on mine were a huge weight savings, but you have almost none of that to start with. I think my exhaust was about an 8lb savings.

The 520 chain kit was about half the weight of the stock chain combined with lighter sprockets made for a HUGE difference (I also went -1/+2, but tried it with a 530 first). Chain and sprocket wear were a little bit of an issue, but the response difference it made in "seat of the pants" power was amazing. I got 8k out of my first set (cheap Vortex sprockets).

I also added a bunch of bling in ti hardware that I'm sure saved a hair or 2. What really grinds my gears is I was a fat bastard (270ish) when I owned that bike. I only wish I could ride it now at 205, it would be insane.

Drop a tooth on the front of that bike and hold the f@ck on.

<edit> I always wanted to know what my R1 did at the crank. Stock it was rated at 180hp and the stock bike used as a reference for my dyno run was 155bhp. The real difference in mine was the gears and tuning to get the powerband down from 10k-14k to 7k-11k, much more usable on the street (Fun fact: a stock R1 does 90mph in 1st before rev limiter).

Last edited: