Quantcast

Motorcycles?

i have a sv650. i've pimped her out over the years. just get some inverts, some clip-ons and shave the rear fender for starts and you really cosmetically have turned it into a real looker (i sold the stock parts on ebay for more than the aftermarket parts cost.) then go to town on the engine mods.....

she is now a straight up pimpsauce rocket....

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
sugarbushrider1 said:
man ive been riding bikes for a long time, but only really dirtbikes. I would advise everyone to stay away from street bikes if at all possible just because they're crazy. I have 4 family members who own(ed) bikes. of those 3 have been in a serious crash (1 losing his life) and the other has broken his femur (although im not completely sure). I would stick to a mountain bike-or buy a pos car man.
I agree with this. Not a first bike, but if you want the best of both worlds Suzuki DRZ-400 Supermoto. They are fast enough and a blast to ride. I grew up riding and racing Superbikes and 250 GP, and have enough pins and ti hardware to melt down and make a nice hardtail. To top it all off 9 out of 10 accidents on the street are not the riders fault.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
as fun and thumpers are(single cilinder bikes) their longevity is questionable, not do to their high performance but do to the inerent vibration and wear and tear of a single cyclinder moving up and down so much, not to mension the have not that great on freeways and their,,or what is call "Short legs"

Now if you want to talk fast and hell singles here are some sexy ones for you, the sell USED for about $18000( you can not buy them new since they are only team bikes(KTM SuperMotard))

carbon all over
here are some more fotos

Maybe the "Ultimate Toy" KTM 950SM(super motard) not for sale so far but super fun)

Nany Roma(winner of the paris dakar rally) and your baldy boy narrator at the Intermot show last year.

Oh and Cruisers are the Cash cows of the motorcycle companies since ussually(with very few exeptions) the incorporate obsolete technology and chessy parts, many made of injected plastic and cast iron but with a crome-out bling bling fake shine...

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
jroymcd said:
just sold my motorcycle to get a mtb. once i got a motor i only rode my mtb once or twice in the last two years. makes you lazy. i sarted on a sv650. great bike for all levels of riders. also check out the drz400sm supermoto. its the most fun you will have on a bike. its like riding a down hill bike on the street. plenty of power, but not enough to get you in trouble. awesome for around town. but can keep up in the twistys.
I want one soooooo badddddddd supermoto bikes, they are street legal right? and how much are they, and how much is insurance and all that

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I gotta agree with everyone else on the SV650- you can't get much better bang for the buck. If you are new to motorcycling it is imperative to take the MSF course, you won't be sorry. Also be prepared to purchase the good quality protective gear- you may think a $500 helmet is expensive until you bounce it across the pavement and walk away with everything intact. This comes from 30 years of experience motorcycling for what it's worth.

Since discovering mountain biking I have two vintage BMWs that remain parked in the garage wasting away. MTBing is so much more rewarding that I really don't have a desire to ride them any more. Guess I have proved whatever I needed to in my road racing/sport touring days.

Enjoy and be careful, there's always someone out there looking (or not looking) to ruin your day.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
oly said:
I also saw a bad ass organ donor sled tonight. Dont know the make of bike, but it was all camo'd out in flat paint. And every replaceable plate and accessory was retro fitted with carbon fiber. The sickest part? There was a NO2 tank on the rear left side. On the front side of the bike was a red toggle switch that said No2. I assume it wasnt just for show. Wish i had a camera. I'd be scared to know how fast that guy could go on that thing.
A friend of mine *had* a Hinda 929rr w/ Nitrous. He dropped it at the track and thought it woulf slide to a harmless sotp until it hit grass. Then it started cart-wheeling. He replaced it w/ a ZX10.

I've been eyeing the SVs for a while. My more experienced motorcycle friends all say that they are great all-around bikes.

And about the fairings getting nailed, do any of you run frame savers (or whatever they are called)? I never see them around here but when I was in Colorado in May a large % of bikes had them. My borhter's bike has been knocked over twice (once by punks, the other by the back of his Blazer). They saved some big $$$. Scratches versus new fairings.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Repack said:
And about the fairings getting nailed, do any of you run frame savers (or whatever they are called)?
The rage out here is for guys to run frame sliders, but then ride around in shorts...

jroymcd

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
freeridermtb4 said:
I want one soooooo badddddddd supermoto bikes, they are street legal right? and how much are they, and how much is insurance and all that
the drz400 is a factory bike and completly street legal. not cheap $5000. most people get a used dual sport and put 17" inch rims and street tires. dual sports are already street legal. this can be done for about $3000. only some states will allow you to convert a off road bike to a street bike if you add lights etc. isurance is cheaper than a super sport bike.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT

frame sliders seem like cheap insurance. I got a main set and a set for the swingarm for around $100. The bike above no longer has the gigantic fender on the back. I've got about 3k miles on it this summer and it's alot of fun.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
likwid said:
They're known as organ donors or statistics.
Temporary citizens is another name for them. :stupid:

I have a 91 Kawasaki ZXR 250, I reckon its enough for anyone to learn on, it has the handling of a sport bike because its the same frame and suspension as the 400 or 600, is way faster than most cars, yes even an STI or an EVO, but not so fast its dangerous for a learner.
And it does over 50mpg! :thumb:

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro

my fzr 400 back when it was a track bike. street legal now and ridiculous amounts of fun. NOTHING corners like this bike does. and with a 14k redline and an uncorked D&D race exhaust... not much sounds like it either :D

andrew, i've seen you drive. stay away from motorcycles :p :p
seriously, the sv or svs is a great bike. if you find one you like on craigslist, i would JUMP on it. they go like hotcakes around here.