Quantcast

Motorcycles?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm interested in getting a motorcycle for commuting to school and just general fun. I have been looking around for the past few hours and found the kawasaki 500R ninja, suzuki gsxr600 (far reach), yamaha yzf600r. I am interested in peoples opinions of the ninja if it can be ridden for a few years and upgraded to be kept fun as it is the least expensive of the pack. I'm probably going to save for a month or two then take a entry class, buy a bike, then get my license.

Any other suggestions on beginner bikes that will last me awhile i want something that wont kill me but still be pretty fast and haul when i do get used to the bike.

THanks

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
man ive been riding bikes for a long time, but only really dirtbikes. I would advise everyone to stay away from street bikes if at all possible just because they're crazy. I have 4 family members who own(ed) bikes. of those 3 have been in a serious crash (1 losing his life) and the other has broken his femur (although im not completely sure). I would stick to a mountain bike-or buy a pos car man.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
and FYI after riding a cr250 (two stroke, 200lb bike making 56 hp) I rode an r6 up the hgihway once. Never again. thing pulled as hard at 120 as it did at 30. just something to think about-hate to sound like your dad, because chances are your old enough to be mine, but i think i have some credit to what im saying.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a good car but i want something more fun for back country riding and to spice up my commute to campus.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
alot of guys will say start with the ninja. Take a look at the suzuki sv650 or svs 650. the 650 is great twin round town, plenty of scoot. they make body work for em. ALOT of guys race these things at club level because theyre a blast to ride and handle really well. theres plenty of motor stuff to be done to up the power. check out www.svrider.com for a sv forum and www.gixxer.com for mainly the gsxr but including other bikes. im a long time member there and its a great group. As for taking the class. almost all the MSF and CC rider courses will get you your license without having to go to DMV.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Fiddy_ryder whats the difference between a svs650 and a gxr600? Mostly style of bike or will the fit be different? Also, what is your opinion of the ninja 500R?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
SV650, more comfortable, better to learn on. I got a Laverda 750S for my first bike, not the best bike to learn on. If I could do it over again I would get a Cagiva Mito 125.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
the sv is a great naked bike its a v-twin the gsxr is an inline 4. The main difference is riding position and mostly power delivery. In general a twin has a more linear torque curve where as an inline has a peaky curve. This peak is what gets many inexperienced riders in trouble. I am partial to the sound of a twin :drool: but you might also want to look at the GS500. Almost bulletproof great learner bike and usually not to expensive.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I may lack a lot of know how in the current bicycle treads but i know motorcycles like the back of my hand...

I will say the most economical, reliable and fun bike around this days is the Suzuki SV650, you can find used examples of them stating at about $2500, the bike was release in 1998 and it was pretty much the same until 2002 when they came out with a injected version..

the bike is simple to mantain, the ergonomics are closer to a "Custom" some how like a Mountainbike so you will get use to it in not time, the wind protection is minimal but sufficient, the engine is a absolute gem, torque from the bottom of the rpms, really flat but progresive powerband, very gentle but if you really push it it can go pretty fast is for sure not a race replica in terms of to speed but on a twisty road is a ninja Killer in a pair of good hands

were to look go to you local craigslist, pretty much the best place to start and get familiar with the ones near were you live, since is so many of them you get to chosee,,

i hope this helps
nothing fancy, for sure no bling factor at all but does the job everytime.

plus they are Fun FuN FUN

OH I forgot to tell you, the SV is a watercool 650CC V-twin, wet clutch 6 speed tranny, valve intevals i think are every 16,000 milles (shim under bucket) and they are much cheaper to tune up than inline 4, again nothing fancy but every fast(not the squids but the REALLY fast pro riders) guy around have one to play at the track.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Thanks for the info i am definetly snagged on a SV650S i like the looks and everything. Been looking on craigslist so hopefully within the next few months i'll be able to save and get a bike for the spring.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
def look into the SV.. there are guys with SV's that can run circles around 600's even up to 1000's on tighter tracks. Like Patineto said the powers there down low which you will appreciate around town. I liked the 600 because i didnt mind reving the piss out of it and constantly shifting. Honestly, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, so the SV shouldnt be a probelm handling power wise. stay away from the 500's youll want a bigger bike

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Sweet thanks for the info i'm definetly sold on the SV and most likely will try to get on one of those. Thanks.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My brother bought a ZX7 as his first "real" bike. His previous one was given to him as a beater to learn on. He knew that 750 would be a little big but is glad that he got it. One of our friends had a ZX7 and now has a GSX1000. He said that the ZX is a great bike to start on b/c it has a very stable ride. Better than a GSX,

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
mobius said:
Thanks for the info i am definetly snagged on a SV650S i like the looks and everything. Been looking on craigslist so hopefully within the next few months i'll be able to save and get a bike for the spring.
does your state get snow..?
sorry for the silly question...
well if it does, winter is the perfect time to buy the bike since is a notorius drop on the prices, in the bay area were i live you can ride all year round so the "winter sindrome" is not even a issue but in areas with more abrup climate changes the diference can be dramatic,,for sure do not try to buy the bike when summer starts (yes even for used bikes) since everybody increase their prices..

let me know if I can help..(you can send me possible bikes and i can "Kind" of tell you if is a good deal or not..)

believe sometimes i feel like a Dummass spending all the money i this buying this monster, when the little SV's are not far behind.

Oh DO NOt Buy the svS(the one with the faring) or the DL(the one that looks like my KTM)
the best SV is the naked one, plus is also the cheapest

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Repack said:
My brother bought a ZX7 as his first "real" bike. His previous one was given to him as a beater to learn on. He knew that 750 would be a little big but is glad that he got it. One of our friends had a ZX7 and now has a GSX1000. He said that the ZX is a great bike to start on b/c it has a very stable ride. Better than a GSX,
sadlly i see little kids getting kill all day long, on this "Old and slow" 100Horse power motorcycles,,most of them have no freaking idea how to ride and relay on the raw power of the engine more than skill, gear possition and optimal torque delivery and rpms at the powerband (like the people that learn how to ride on full suspension bikes, but can not ride for S^^T on a hardtail) when you ride like that is never sufficient power even if you have a GXR1000 or the latest R1.
sincerlly i don't know how they can be so slow when it counts (at the turns) well i guess i do, they accelerate like mad on the straigt lines and then panic and grab the brakes on the turns, when the ideal technic is to be like a "landluge" racer(Gravity power) and try to keep momentum as much as you can,,yeah pretty much like a downhill racer needs to ride, smart, picking up the perfect apex and not ussuing the brakes until the very end.

anyway I pass "Squids"on the twisty mountain roads all freaking day long on my old beat up BMW GS (the most gentle & forgiving bike to ride in the world with about 65horses at the wheel) with two bicycles, camping gear and my girlfriend in the back.

Just remenber, what matters.. "Is not the ARROW is the INDIAN"

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
funny...right now I'm looking for a Ninja 500r or a Yamaha FZR6...we should both get them about the same time. I had a Ninja 500 back in '89 but I haven't ridden a motorcycle in over 12 years....should be fun getting back to it...D

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
BMXman said:
funny...right now I'm looking for a Ninja 500r or a Yamaha FZR6...we should both get them about the same time. I had a Ninja 500 back in '89 but I haven't ridden a motorcycle in over 12 years....should be fun getting back to it...D
those two bikes are great too, but V-twins have a widder powerband that makes them far easier to ride at least at normal speeds, when you have the engine at RED LINE all day long the engine configuration becomes secundary to "ultimate horsepower delivery" but you can only ride like that on a track..

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
mobius said:
I'm interested in getting a motorcycle for commuting to school and just general fun. I have been looking around for the past few hours and found the kawasaki 500R ninja, suzuki gsxr600 (far reach), yamaha yzf600r. I am interested in peoples opinions of the ninja if it can be ridden for a few years and upgraded to be kept fun as it is the least expensive of the pack. I'm probably going to save for a month or two then take a entry class, buy a bike, then get my license.

Any other suggestions on beginner bikes that will last me awhile i want something that wont kill me but still be pretty fast and haul when i do get used to the bike.

THanks
odds are the motorcycle wont kill you... it will be another automobile doing it. save more money and get a car.. or bike to school... but if you have to get something start with a 500... after 3 months of getting used to it you will get bored and want something bigger

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'd get something lame for a 1st bike or at least something not crazy fast, definitely not a gsxr or R6.....keep it for a year, then trade up.

Or go with the sv or maybe a bandit 600.....,something you could keep for a couple years before you move up

My 1st bike: (paid $600, 1 year later sold it for $650)

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
douglas said:
I'd get something lame for a 1st bike or at least something not crazy fast, definitely not a gsxr or R6.....keep it for a year, then trade up.

Or go with the sv or maybe a bandit 600.....,something you could keep for a couple years before you move up

exelent advice

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like Douglas said, if this is your first bike get the cheapest one you can get your hads on. There are a lot of little tricks to keeping a moto upright, like identifiying a proper surface to put a kickstand. Get a bike that you dont mind seeing dented or scratched up, because as your first one it will get dented and scratched, hopefully not while you are riding it.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
manhattanprjkt83 said:
ducati monster :drool: you can get em in the 3,000's based on ebay pricing

:drool:

Expensive to maintain... The Suzuki SV is probably the best choice, if you decide you really want a sport bike the FZR600 has more power, is super reliable and goes 14K miles between valve adjustments versus like 5K for the Kawasaki...

Personally I ride a VMAX.... I'd ride a R1 but this bike has some serious sentimental value and I can't afford two (right now :thumb: )

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
douglas said:

Yes, very good advise. My borther's first bike was a '84 Yamaha Seca 400. From what I know if it its the grandfather of the modern street bike. I believe that the Seca was the first to come with a monoshock rear. It was given tohim by a kid moving out of country. He had to rebuild the carb and get a new gas tank. When he got the Ninja he gave it to someone else to learn on. He isn't an idiot. He didn't even ride the new bike home. He did it right and eased into it. I'm sure that part of his restraint is due to the fact that our dad has an M3 so speed isn't exactly new to us- He new enough to be afraid of what a 400lb vehicle w/ 126hp can do.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mobius said:
I have a good car but i want something more fun for back country riding and to spice up my commute to campus.
What about a dual-sport then?

Suzuki DZ400 (?) is a street legal dirt bike that is cheaper.

Yes, take the class!

Before you buy anything, find out who will insure you and how much. I bet the cost of insurance will be more than you're willing to spend on a rocket.

Remember, this is your FIRST bike... unless you get something you can't properly control, then it's your LAST bike :(

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
patineto said:
Oh DO NOt Buy the svS(the one with the faring) or the DL(the one that looks like my KTM)
the best SV is the naked one, plus is also the cheapest
Why not the svS? Curious as I've been eyeing these (the SV and SVS) for a long time... and now that I don't ride MTB as much as I would like, and considering trading one of mine in for one...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
ohio said:
Why not the svS? Curious as I've been eyeing these (the SV and SVS) for a long time... and now that I don't ride MTB as much as I would like, and considering trading one of mine in for one...
Oh is not a Big deal..well it is in the long term..

let me try to enumerate the issues..

* Crash avility,,ussually call crashavility,,,the SV-S comes with a front fairing of the bike that is really prone to get wasted even of the sillies of the get offs

just take a look at the diferences.

the typical diference in damage is going to be about $600 to a $1000 (for the fairing,headlight instrument subframe and the headlight) from one bike to the other one,,
the naked SV ussually get broken brake levers, turn signal and mirrors and sometimes the tank get hit then the bar bend, the SV-S suffers the same plus a bunch of broken plastics that cost a lot..

actually the SV is one of the best crashing bikes i ever saw, you just install "Frame savers" (big rods made of delrin) that mount on the frame and you have a even better chance in a crash.

*Ergonomics....
the two bikes share the same frame,since the V-twin arquitecture is a little long(fisical size of the engine) the whole bike is already a little long, making it a little strech out for short people(keep this is in mind for the rest of the explanation)
the SV-S comes with "Clip-ons" divided handlebars that attach to the fork tubes near the top triple clamp, this bars are as low and far forward as the frok tubes, making the distance from the seat to the palm of your hands a little far, kind like on a road bike when you are at the drops, yeah is great for wind flow and aerodinamic reason but not extremlly confortable specially if you are short since a big part of your body mass is sopport it by your hands,,
the SV on the other hand have the handlebars attach to the top of the triple clamp like in a old dirt bike, not only you get far more liberty to modified the bike and add better bars and stuff but the posture is far more upright and less strech prety much like in your mountain bike, were the bars are a little above the seat and much much closes(beleive me make a big diference specially when you are learning),,also remenber if you are going to be commuting is a good thing to have the avility to move your head around to check for traffic,,on a upright posture you can bend you neck pretty easy since is on the same axis as your spine on a bike with a more forward lean you need to bend the neck but also lift your shin to see true your shoulder(sorry if this is getting to complicated)

anyway the SV is no "superbike" to any extend and all this forward posture makes very little diference, if you were to have double the horse power i be worry of placing as much mass in the front end so the bike did not wheelly all day long but on the SV is no problem..

*Price...
The SV is far cheaper special when you find them Used and that makes a diference for your first bike

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
bigshred said:

This is a fun bike. 50cc 2 stroke, 5 speed, 160lbs... The Honda MB5. good luck finding one...
There is a guy at my work that has one of those in black. Its a little beat on, but very unique looking. Sounds like my weedwacker however.... pretty funny.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I also saw a bad ass organ donor sled tonight. Dont know the make of bike, but it was all camo'd out in flat paint. And every replaceable plate and accessory was retro fitted with carbon fiber. The sickest part? There was a NO2 tank on the rear left side. On the front side of the bike was a red toggle switch that said No2. I assume it wasnt just for show. Wish i had a camera. I'd be scared to know how fast that guy could go on that thing.

jroymcd

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
just sold my motorcycle to get a mtb. once i got a motor i only rode my mtb once or twice in the last two years. makes you lazy. i sarted on a sv650. great bike for all levels of riders. also check out the drz400sm supermoto. its the most fun you will have on a bike. its like riding a down hill bike on the street. plenty of power, but not enough to get you in trouble. awesome for around town. but can keep up in the twistys.

Attachments

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
Next year im buying a Triumph American Cruiser. I rode a crotch rocket when i was in my early 20's. It was a Yamaha FZR 600. I'm kinda lucky to be alive, I wiped out twice. Cruisers are the coolest motorcycles around. I love em. Gonna do some road trips in the U.S. and then my buddy and I want to ship our bikes to Europe and cruise the French and Italian Riviera. I can't wait. The problem I have with crotch rockets is that they are uncomfortable to ride for any length of time, and you hardly ever get to ride them fast because of traffic, so they usually make for an uncomfortable commuter. Thats why I like cruisers, nice and comfy. and Harleys suck BTW. :D