Quantcast

Mount Snow Eastern States Cup #5 - July 16-17

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

Mount Snow hosts the Eastern States Cup Downhill Series #5​

Mount Snow kicks off three great weekends of Eastern States Cup Downhill racing. This weekend’s race will be the second race of the USA Cycling Vermont State Downhill Championships and the fifth ESC event of 2011. Mount Snow continues a rich tradition of hosting Downhill mountain bike events. The resort located in West Dover, VT has held numerous NORBA, World Cup and National Championship events.

The first ESC race of the season was held at Mount Snow back in May; about 130 racers took the start gate and raced down the terrain that Mount Snow is known for. The Mountain features fast open and rocky ski trails and technical tight woods sections. This race will be contested on a completely new race trail. Trail #13 is a favorite at Mount Snow since it opened this past spring. Trail #13 features jumps, berms, wood drops and tight steep root filled woods sections. Please bring the families and friends for a great weekend watching and cheering for all the Mountain Bike Downhill Racers. Better yet rent a DH bike or bring their bikes and introduce them to the sport.

Mount Snow also wants to offer ESC racers a special deal on mountain bike season passes for the remainder of the 2011 summer season. All ESC racers can purchase a 2011 mountain bike season pass for just $125! To take advantage of this offer visit the bike shop at Mount Snow Sports in the Grand Summit Hotel this weekend.

The Nema Team Challenge is heating up with ten teams battling it out for the $1000 cash purse. It’s not too late to form an ESC team or to register an existing one for the Nema Team Challenge cash. The ESC pro racers are competing for a maximum $1200 cash purse per race. The ESC continues to bring the Northeast Downhill racers an affordable, competitive and fun series at seven venues with varying terrain.

Race Entry
Pro Men & Women $ 75.00
Categories 1,2 & 3 $ 65.00
Includes Lift Tickets for Both Saturday and Sunday.
$1200.00 Maximum Pro Purse
Product Prizes provided by Mount Snow Sponsors: Kenda Tire, Camelback, Smith Optics and Contour.

Saturday July 16, 2011
On-Site Registration 9am - 2pm
Course Practice 10am - 4:00pm

Sunday July 17, 2011
On-Site Registration 8am - 9:30am
Course Practice 9am – 10:30am
Race 11:00

2011 EASTERN STATES CUP SCHEDULE
6/4 – 6/5 Mt Snow. VT
6/11 – 6/12 Pats Peak. NH
6/18 – 6/19 Attitash, NH
7/2 – 7/3 Plattekill. NY
7/16 – 7/17 Mt Snow. VT
7/23 – 7/24 Plattekill. NY
7/30 – 7/31 Killington VT
8/20 – 8/21 Mt Snow. VT
9/3 – 9/4 Plattekill. NY
9/10 – 9/11 Whiteface, NY
10/8 – 10/9 Plattekill. NY FINALS

Mount Snow visit www.mountsnow.com and
The Eastern States Cup Series at www.easternstatescup.com

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Thanks for that vid Mickey, I would have bet the house on Jurgen.

Camping is allowed on the mountain for ESC racers and families. Please no dogs but it's free !!!

We lobbied hard for this race course, after the short rock woops up top it is in the woods all the way down. Steep, drops and berms that work, no open skitrails this weekend (dammit).

Even better news, slick rock highway is gone for good. Don't try to ride it unless you want to carry your bike over multiples of trees.

Perfect weather on tap....can't wait !!:thumb:

Course pics:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
The early foes doesnt look bad at all, thinking back to the old weasal it could come with a kit to get a judy dh fork with it. The forks were way behind the performance of the bikes.

Great video to remember the lame old days.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Even better news, slick rock highway is gone for good. Don't try to ride it unless you want to carry your bike over multiples of trees.[\QUOTE]

True story. I tried two weekends ago. There are at least 9 trillion trees down. Also, trail 13 is tons of fun. Hopefully all the traffic this weekend will really burn it in.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Thanks for that vid Mickey, I would have bet the house on Jurgen.

Camping is allowed on the mountain for ESC racers and families. Please no dogs but it's free !!!

We lobbied hard for this race course, after the short rock woops up top it is in the woods all the way down. Steep, drops and berms that work, no open skitrails this weekend (dammit).

Even better news, slick rock highway is gone for good. Don't try to ride it unless you want to carry your bike over multiples of trees.

Perfect weather on tap....can't wait !!:thumb:

THIS SUCKS!!! This weather is looking great and it looks like you guys put together a fun track for the weekend and I can't go (I broke my leg at the last ESC race at Plattekill). I hope everyone has fun though...

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Mount Snow is really stepping things up for ESC #5. The top section that was all rock is now covered in new dirt, should be really fast.
From the Mount Snow website:

So our trail crew has been brushing up on our park skills. We have been using our machines to make quick work of moving dirt and creating features that will be able to stay dry and firm. We created new berms on the bottom of trail 13 as well as buffing the hip jump (which is now a sender), and creating whole new ending.

There is even a Jump…I know, pretty exciting stuff. Within the next week we will start our beginner downhill trail. We have also continued the fight against our ever-present foe…Water Damage. Thus we have been looking for new off chutes around all of our water problems and issues.

Now that we have finished repairs to our new beginner XC loop, which is a 2.5 mile loop that brings riders partially up the mountain, we can bring our machines up the hill so we can begin our concentrated work on the new trail. I can’t let all the surprises out of the bag yet, but riders of all ability levels will be able to thoroughly enjoy this trail. Our dedicated trail crew will offset working days and go to extended hours so that our magic machines can keep the progression up at maximum level.

This weekend July 16th and 17th we will be hosting our second race of the Eastern States Cup. The race course planned is a visit with a revamped old friend and a new edition that we have never raced down before. We are proud to be part of the 2011 Eastern States Cup Series.

Lodging at the Vintage Motel in Wilmingthon is $65/night. Click here for details

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
THIS SUCKS!!! This weather is looking great and it looks like you guys put together a fun track for the weekend and I can't go (I broke my leg at the last ESC race at Plattekill). I hope everyone has fun though...
Oh man I heard about that, that really sucks hope you heal up real quick and get back "on it".
G

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Besides the old NORBA courses that is the best thing that mt snow has put out in the last 10 years. Hope they keep up the great work.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
cumulative rim damage blew the bead off during the race.it was fine on saturday, but blew off sunday am. I switched tires and i guess it never got seated on a tore up rim. my fault just major bull**** :banghead::banghead:. that was a dope track.Whats on the menu for platty?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Meant to say the other day: if they're reading here, thanks to those who helped me get my bearings after I stacked the landing off the drop out of the woods in my race run.

Still not quite sure how I manged that; eager to see some video, if it exists. Easily the most embarrassing fall I've had in a long time.

This was by far the best course yet this season. Thanks to all involved in organizing and building.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is Mount Snow worth the drive to ride the trails yet?
not really. worth the drive to race, but there are like 4 freeride trails and #13 was in use as the race course this weekend. They're doing good work, and I expect next year it will be very good, but I wouldn't make that drive just to freeride.

The course was awesome and a good mix of really technical stuff and some fast flowy at the bottom.