Quantcast

Mountain Bike Directories

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
I plan on making a site designed to help riders find places to ride in their area(by state and then eventually county) there would be all legal trails which would be separated into Dirt Jumping, Downhill, Freeride, Single Track along with a few pictures, a review, a rating and directions to get there via a picture of google earth..So basically, i'm asking if any of you monkeys want to help with the directory info, reviews, and web design and everything else. I plan on using a free hosting site since i don't have the money to host..no big, it could be mtbdirectory.5u.com or something..so what

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
habitatxskate said:
mtbdirectory.5u.com or something..so what
So it's going to be slow as hell and FULL of ads and pops? Not a good start. If you really want to have a successful site, do it right or don't do it at all.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
it won't be slow, and it won't be full of pop ups and ads. i know a host which doens't post ads or pop ups..and i can make it mtbdirectory.tk too! forgot to mention that..instead of the sub-crap it will be mtbdirectory.tk .to prevent site lag i host off another site which has unlimited bandwith thank you very much and input it..

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
habitatxskate said:
it won't be slow, and it won't be full of pop ups and ads. i know a host which doens't post ads or pop ups..and i can make it mtbdirectory.tk too! forgot to mention that..instead of the sub-crap it will be mtbdirectory.tk .to prevent site lag i host off another site which has unlimited bandwith thank you very much and input it..
ah.... magic hosting. Are you interested in purchasing a bridge?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's no such thing as what you are talking about. free web hosting, not slow, no pop-ups. pick two. or you could just pony up the money and get some space. URL's are cheap ($9 a year - i use godaddy.com). and hosting space has never been cheaper. one of my sites i have 5 gigs of bandwidth and like, 2 gigs of space for about $10 a month.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Jon, i know what you are trying to say..but i use 50megs.com as hosting, and they do not give you ads. Then i can use a redirectory site which would make it from mtbdirectory.5u.com to mtbdirectory.tk they give you 50 megs of hsoting space(hence 50 megs) and then www.filelodge.com is a hosting site where you get 500 megs along with unlimited bandwith, check it out for yourself. I'm not saying it is going to be as fast as a .com site, but i'll do my best to make it as fast..it will mostly be text besides the pictures, it won't be too too bad, but let me know if you want to help out..i've seen your webwork, hence krankedclothing, along with a whole derpbrap, i think, which is in production..what i want to do is make an opener page, and then have something rediculous like 50 subpages for each state; though that is dependant on how many people contribute to giving us spots, pictures, reviews, and locations/directions.. I want to start with NJ, NY and then whatever other monkeys want to tell me...if anything, i can get two sites, and then on the nav when you click on something it will redirect you to the second site, not opening another page, or any of that crap, it will replace that window and will be seamless, and most people won't notice unless they look at the web address, but i might make it look similar..like mtbdirectory.tk and mtbdirectories.tk..i don't know i want to get the space and accounts setup along with finding a nice web template to use for it..I found like 5 sites with decent templates, since i want all of your advice with the template i'll post the top 5 templates i like to use, and i'll see what you guys think..i want the monkeys to be involved..let me know if anyone wants to be part of the site

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i checked 50megs.com and unless you are paying, you get banners. says so on the main page.

and filelodge is another site like photobucket. it gives you a place to store images, but not much other than that.

the disadvantage of using a site like filelodge is that i don't believe you will be able to use dynamically generated pages (based on php and the like). if this is the case, it will create a huge disadvantage for what you are trying to accomplish. you want a content driven site, and if you don't use something like php to dynamically create the page based on information stored in a dir or db, then you will have to author every page by hand. this is a HUGE waste of time, even if you are just copy/pasting the info. plus it creates a huge possibility for errors in the linking architechture, as each link has to be checked manually (as opposed to writing one piece of code to generate the urls correctly).

i'm not trying to knock your idea, i actually think its a great one. but you're going about it the wrong way.

and as far as templates, i'd stay away from them. i personally find it easier and less stressful to build from the ground up then to modify someone elses code. unless you are using vBulletin (ie just about every message board on the web). in which case you're an idiot to try and write your own :P

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
what i do is get a free template..and i open it in frontpage(i know i know) and then i edit it, save it and then upload it via an ftp..ill setup a donation thing and have it pay for itself, that is if anyone will put more money into it..as for 50 megs, it does have some banners, i forgot, the first month is bannerless..as for filelodge i can host 500 megs and make a few accounts..as for everything else jon, mayhbe you;d like to help?

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
no one wants to be a part of this..put it this way, if you go on a trip someplace, and the place you ride sucks, where are you going to go? go to the site and then you have a whole DIRECTORY ON WHERE TO GO!