Quantcast

Mountain Bike Hard Case

scvw79

Chimp
Sep 9, 2005
Aptos, CA
Can anyone recomend a nice hard case that can fit a descent size Mountain Bike? Ive been looking online...but there are a bunch of them and they all seem expensive. Ive got a turner 5 spot and Id like to be able to pack it up and ship it on a plane when I need to travel. Id like to spend under $200, but Im not sure if thats going to be possible. Has anyone come across a good deal?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I got a Trick Ironcase from ebay for $230 shipping included. You can probably rent one from your LBS for a week for much less if you don't want to drop the change on buying one.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
scvw79 said:
Can anyone recomend a nice hard case that can fit a descent size Mountain Bike? Ive been looking online...but there are a bunch of them and they all seem expensive. Ive got a turner 5 spot and Id like to be able to pack it up and ship it on a plane when I need to travel. Id like to spend under $200, but Im not sure if thats going to be possible. Has anyone come across a good deal?
Mine goes in a BikePro case. www.bikeprousa.com If I were to do it again, I think I'd swing for the larger size that would allow the bike to fit without spinning the fork around so the brake caliper doesn't stick out like it does.
Also, if you have a 20mm or other non-standard QR axle, it's best to have something other than a Fork-up. I made mine but Bike Pro sells them for $135 for the 20mm.. (ouch)...I think I used $10 in aluminum and about 2 hours design and machine time. You also need the rear dropout adapter with the 5spot.
It's been to Norway, Spain and California with no major hassles.
A bent caliper adapter somehow on the way to Spain but that could have been the pack job in the rental car and not necessarily the ramp crew.
Not exactly the good deal you're looking for but I have seen them pop up on ebay from time to time. Usually the smaller size.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I bought one of the preformance/supergo/generic brand bike cases (seems to be the same one for a lot of the company’s) and it fit my Large FSR ok. i have to pull the handle bars and the rear derailleur.
I made a rear dropout smasher protector thingy out of a piece of pvc pipe and a qr.
i think i got mine on sale with a coupon for less than 2g.