Quantcast

Mountain Bike help

kinj

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
I'm completely new to mountain bikes. I want to get some sort of decent mountain bike because I am moving up to an area with lots of trails and stuff for college and stuff, and I want to try it. I'm not going to do anything hardcore, no jumps or steep downhill stuff, just regular trails. The thing is,, I don't know the difference between any of the types of bikes available. I don't know what downhill, cross-country or free ride bikes are, and I don't know the terminology like hard tail, soft tail etc... So I want to ask you guys two things:

1. Can someone point me to some site that has a FAQ for mountain bikes in general? Just something that explains the different types of bikes and such.

2. Can someone recommend a decent bike for me? I don't want to spend more than $1500 US (at the absolute most). It should have a small frame and should be pretty light since I am a small guy (5'4'' ~ 120 lbs.). I'd like dual suspension, but I don't know if it’s necessary. I want a beginner bike, but I want something that won’t obsolete either (meaning that I can do some advanced stuff on it later on). I've looked on some bikes sites, but again, since I don't know the terminology and stuff, I don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I am asking a bit much here.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
How about a nice sturdy hardtail until you figure out what type of riding you enjoy best. Check out the Kona dirt Jumper line. Fairly cheap (<$1000) and versatile. Anything from trail riding to mild DH or jumping....You will want to get into the air after you do some riding.

Look for a DJ III fork, maybe 2.2ish tires, Deore/LX components Dual or triple front chain rings.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
IronHorse Warrior

Jamis Dakar XC

Get a good XC bike. Air fork and shock(no coil). You're really light weight so you don't really need to get any special DJ(dirt jump) forks and bike unless you start doing huge drops and stuff.

If you are riding it to school, get a good lock. Make your bike harder to steal than the guys bike locked up next to yours.

kinj

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
First of all, thanks a lot for the replies.

So I took a look at all the bikes you guys posted, they seem to be good, but I still have some questions. I went to Kona’s site (because I heard that was a good company) and I see all these different types of bikes: downhill, cross country, dirt jumping etc. So can someone briefly tell me what the difference is between all of them, or point me to some site that has this info?

By now I’ve figured out that hardtail means no suspension in the back, so, does this make a big difference? What would you use dual suspension bikes for? What would use hardtails for?

Ok, this isn't going to be a commuter bike. I’m not going to be riding it to school ALL the time, just occasionally and mostly for trails and stuff. Or at least this is what I am planning to do. Is it bad for mountain bike tires if you ride on asphalt a lot?

Lastly, are these bikes hard to maintain? Are they hard to take apart and put back together? These parts everyone that everyone is talking about… are they hard to install?

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
For the most part none of these bikes are hard to maintain if you take care of them right in the first place... lube the chain keep all the bolts tight ect... A full suspension is mostly for Downhill and Freerideing (bigdrops and jumps) Hardtails are great bikes to learn basic trail skills on though a little more bumpy on the trail you will learn much faster. A cross country bike is a light race bike with the basic soul purpose of racing. A downhill bike is a 9" front and rear suspension bike which is hard to get up a mountian but will bomb down it very smoothly and easly. A hardtail can be used for anything you want it to be used for but best for street riding up hill and simple trails theres not much bouncing around from the suspension. The tires on asphalt will get worn down a little faster then on dirt but you should change them every 6 months or so anyways. I think I got everything you asked. But if not sry Ill throw in everything i missed. :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
kinj said:
I see all these different types of bikes: downhill, cross country, dirt jumping etc. So can someone briefly tell me what the difference is between all of them, or point me to some site that has this info?
Downhill -- More travel 6-8" Not the best bike for riding uphill. Most are pretty heavy >40lbs. Relaxed angles(head tube) to make more stable going down hill fast.

Dirt Jumping -- Usually HT. For jumping(think BMX). Forks are usually stiffer and burlier. Can be ridden cross country but not designed for that. Usually a burlier frame to take the beating of jumping.

Cross country -- for long trail rides. Quicker(steeper) angles. More agile. Designed to go uphill. Good all purpose bike. 3" to 4" travel.

All Mountain -- Longer travel XC bike. 5" to 6". Kind of a do it all bike.

kinj said:
By now I’ve figured out that hardtail means no suspension in the back, so, does this make a big difference? What would you use dual suspension bikes for? What would use hardtails for?
I've ridden a HT for 15 years. Just now got a full suspension. HTs make you pick better lines so you don't get beat to death. FS is going to let you ride longer and faster than a HT. Really you can do anything with either type of bike -- downhill, XC, jump. If you are going where it is really rocky, I would suggest a FS. You are going to get a better part spec for the same amount of money if you get a HT.

kinj said:
Ok, this isn't going to be a commuter bike. I’m not going to be riding it to school ALL the time, just occasionally and mostly for trails and stuff. Or at least this is what I am planning to do. Is it bad for mountain bike tires if you ride on asphalt a lot?
Asphalt is not going to hurt your tires. Might wear them down a little quicker.

kinj said:
Lastly, are these bikes hard to maintain? Are they hard to take apart and put back together? These parts everyone that everyone is talking about… are they hard to install?
Mountain biking is an expensive hobby. You will probably get a year out of your components(chains, cogs, derailluers, bottom brackets) before you are going to start replacing stuff. Less if you ride in the mud alot. Keep your chain lubed and your drivetrain lubed. If you ride in the mud, clean your stuff up quickly. Don't use pressure washer. Bucket and brush is best.

With a few tools and if you are mechanically inclined, they are pretty simple to work on. Good reference to get you started --> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Wumpus is right - biking is expensive. If you are looking for performance you will have to replace stuff as it wears out, but you do not ride a whole lot you can get away with dragging out the lifespan of componentry and save some money.

I have owned two "real" mountain bikes, and both were hardtails. I have not ridden a Full suspension bike for any appreciable amount of time, and plan on sticking to hardtails. Cross-Country bikes are for riding regular old trails and work well for commuting. Freeride bikes are meant to be abused much more than Cross-Country bikes - think more speed and bigger impacts. Freeride bikes will be heavier than Cross-Country bikes, will have thicker and 'beefier' (stronger) parts and longer travel suspension, and the dimensions and angles of the bike will generally be better suited for jumping and/or riding downhill aggressively.

If I were you I would look for a cross-country hardtail from $500 BARE MINIMUM up to around $800-ish. If you cannot decide between two bikes, get the one from the better (more supportive) bike shop. Also, I would sacrifice some componentry performance/quality for a better suspension fork. Externally adjustable rebound is a very good thing. Look for 80-100 mm of suspension travel (for the fork). The extra 20 mm in travel will lend you more control on the downhills and possibly some (slightly) compromised handling charcaterictics you will notice while climbing and on the road. Go with a 100mm fork if you can see yourself getting somewhat aggressive (jumping off small ledges instead of rolling down flights of stairs). Go with an 80mm fork if you are looking for a sprightly, nimble feel.

Finally, If you are going to be riding in mostly wet/rainy areas, take a look at bikes equipped with disc brakes. Mud will dampen the power of rim brakes but will not really affect disc brakes, and disc brakes really are not any more difficult to maintain than rim brakes.

Have fun :thumb:

I was in the same situation as u were last year at around this same time i had no idea what bike to get and what i would need. i went to my local shop and they hooked me up with a specialized hard rock pro disc. this bike cost me around 500 dollars andd also came with disc brakes which i find to give much better stopping power then rim brakes. i have used this bike on a few small drops of about 4 feet and it has held up wonderfully. i would highly reccomend this bike

BackToMTB

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
Get two bikes... one for riding trails and a cruiser that you don't care about for school. Keep the nice one locked up in your room! :)