Quantcast

Mountain Bike History

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good stuff

My first MTB was a cheaper version of this

Mine was an '86 Ross Mt Washington. Similar but had cheaper drivetrain-10speed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
I gotta get me a pair of those bar ends. :thumb:

Hold on....... :think: I've already got some like that on my bike. :D

-S.S.-
The stem on that bike weighed about 5lbs. In 1995 after breaking the front fork I took it to an LBS to replace the fork, when the guy took off the stem he laughed and laughed and laughed. He gave me a new cheapo stem and 10$ for what he called a "museum piece".

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
That 93 Fat Chance Ti is awsome. Same for the Fat Chance Shock A Billy. I wanted one of those back when they first came out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
That 93 Fat Chance Ti is awsome. Same for the Fat Chance Shock A Billy. I wanted one of those back when they first came out.
I've got a buddy with a Wicked Lite......... he doesn't ride it anymore because he has a Palomino, too. :confused:

Maybe I should offer him $50 for it.

-S.S.-

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No Eastern Woods Research??? I'm disappointed. That's my favorite retro/rare frame.

I'm kind of envisioning my soon-to-be Evil Sovereign as a spiritual descendent of it. Then again, I'm also thinking of cancelling the order and buying a Yeti 575 instead.

MD

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I've got a buddy with a Wicked Lite......... he doesn't ride it anymore because he has a Palomino, too. :confused:

Maybe I should offer him $50 for it.

-S.S.-
You could use something a little more retro than that NRS to go with those sunglasses.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hey there was a monkey on here that had a fetish for the y-frame, come on chime in

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
WTF? No mention of Giant at *all*?? :confused:

-S.S.-
I was a little dissapointed not to see diamond back, univega, mountain cycles, marin, balance, hanebrink, those were some of my favorites back in the day for various reasons.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Yo, I'm so old school that I read magazine when they use to have the first Trek with an elastomer rear suspension. Yeah dude, I've seen it all, since the last ProFlex to the down right ugly new Mongoose. I ain't no IBOC but let me tell you I rep Mountain bike cause it's in my blood.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Hey, don't bash the y-bikes. I had a y-11 that I stuck a psylo on it and rocked the North Shore, even without disks in the back. Those bikes could hold their own, even despite the fact that the carbon fiber decomposes over time :D. I've upgraded to a Haro X3 since then, but the y-11 holds a dear place in my heart.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
my first bike was a sm300
blueberry :) :) too bad his pics are so low rez :(

hade one of these too.

i have this hub on my DJ bike RIGHT NOW!

good site, hella fun to look back

modern look for '89

Grove Innovations
Year 1993
One of three prototype "woods bikes" made by Grove. Only one sold to the public. This bike was designed to push the boundaries of frame design. The bottom bracket height is 16", 15.25" seat stays, BB shell width of 80mm, rear hub 160mm and rear facing "drop-outs" in the rear.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MikeD said:
No Eastern Woods Research??? I'm disappointed. That's my favorite retro/rare frame.

I'm kind of envisioning my soon-to-be Evil Sovereign as a spiritual descendent of it. Then again, I'm also thinking of cancelling the order and buying a Yeti 575 instead.

MD
I have a yellow one in my closet. Medium.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
kinghami3 said:
Hey, don't bash the y-bikes. I had a y-11 that I stuck a psylo on it and rocked the North Shore, even without disks in the back. Those bikes could hold their own, even despite the fact that the carbon fiber decomposes over time :D. I've upgraded to a Haro X3 since then, but the y-11 holds a dear place in my heart.
I don't see anyone bashin'. Hell, I'd still be riding that damn bike if I hadn't driven it into the frame of my garage door. :eek:

-S.S.-