Quantcast

Mountain Bike Purchasing 101

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So someone here at work asked for my help getting into Mountain biking. He is a very high level executive that is already into Kayaking. So while we were out eating the conversation came up and I told him I would put something together, that will get him started.

I know it reads a little formal like, but he is acustomed to reading my financial and industry analysis.

Comments/suggestions?
-----------------------------------

Mountain Bike Purchasing 101

There are 3 major areas of contention when purchasing a mountain bike
• Genre
• Manufacturers
• Component Level

Genre - There are a number of different Genre’s in mountain biking. In addition there is a lot of grey area and cross over between them. Just as your riding style covers more then 1 style of riding so do the bikes that are now offered. Starting from a road bike and moving to say a motorized dirt bike the Genres could be….
 Cross Country (XC) – specifically designed to be ridden or raced cross country. Typically very light, not a whole lot of front or rear travel (some do not have rear travel referred to as hard tails), with a riding position very forward and over the bars (much like a road bike). They are designed to be very efficient at pedaling, easy to climb, but not meant to take a lot of abuse and are less stable going downhill, over very rough/technical terrain or airborne.
• Travel
o Front fork 80-100mm (3-4”)
o Rear travel 0-80mm

 Trail Bike - Much like a XC bike with slightly more travel, more durable vs. light weight parts. They will also usually have a slightly more upright riding position. The Upward riding position is typically more comfortable and stable for riding over rough/technical trail and obstacles.
• Travel
o Front fork 100-125/130mm (4-5”)
o Rear travel 100-125/130mm (4-5”)

 All Mountain - Moving further away from the XC genre, the All Mountain bikes still concentrate on having an effective pedaling platform. However they are typically slightly heavier due to heavier duty parts and tubing. They also typically have more travel, and a more upright riding position (more closely resembling the riding position on a dirt bike. While this is not as efficient for pedaling when compared to a XC bike it gives the rider more control while heading down hill, in the air or in rough/technical conditions.
• Travel
o Front fork 130-150/160(5-6”)
o Rear travel 130-150/160(5-6”)

 Freeride - Designed to be truly DURABLE and withstand the rigors of dropping off of large drops, doing jumps and riding the most rough/technical trails.
• Travel
o Front fork 150-160/170+(6-8+”)
o Rear travel 150-160/170+(6-8+”)

 Downhill - Similar to the FreeRide genre in regards to being durable. However the riding position is even further back and lower to aid in going downhill as fast as possible.
• Travel
o Front fork 170mm+
o Rear travel 170mm+

Manufacturer

Much like the auto industry there are a number of manufacturers. We can break them down into categories.

Mainstream
Boutique/High End
Value Based

Mainstream - Just as Ford, Chevy and Toyota pretty much cover the entire spectrum of vehicles; the mainstream manufacturers in the Mountain bike industry do as well. There might not be a lot of “bling” in their line up, but they do offer very high functioning quality product at a fair price.
Trek, Specialized &Giant are the Big 3 of the Bike world.

Boutique/High End – They usually offer the same function as the mainstream but offer the bling and custom factor that the mainstream does not. It could be perception, materials or customization that adds to the cost. Some examples are… Turner, Titus, Santa Cruz, Intense.

Value Based – The Hyundai/Kia’s of the Mountain biking world. They typically offer the same function as the mainstream manufacturers but may use a slightly lower grade of components, materials or possibly just perception to compete on price point. Some examples are… Raleigh, Jamis, Haro, & Mongoose.

Component Level

Just as you can outfit a vehicle in the auto industry with different levels of equipment, in the biking world it is the component selection. Some of the major components are
• Fork (holds the front wheel to the bike and handles front bump absorption) – These can range anywhere from a simple spring to multi adjustable air/oil/coil adjustments that will affect the speed and smoothness that the fork compresses and rebounds.
• Rear Shock – serves the same purpose as the fork, but controls the rear bump absorption. A lot of the technology in shock and Fork are similar.
• Brakes – Most bikes today come with disk brakes. They can either be cable or hydraulic actuated. Some of them have multiple pistons (2 vs. 4).
• Wheelset – Just like rims and tires on a car, the wheelset on a bike can vary greatly. Strength, rotational weight, and mechanical engagement are the major factors.
• Drive train (cranks, chain, chain, cassette, derailleur and shifters) – the forward motion controls of a mountain bike. Most mountain bikes are 27 speed. 9 cogs in the back (referred to as the cassette) and 3 upfront (referred to as the chain ring) controlled by the derailleur (shifting mechanism, controlled by the shifters.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Do you have a good local bike shop with knowledgeable employees?

If so, why not just point him to that shop and have him talk with employee x or store owner y?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Do you have a good local bike shop with knowledgeable employees?

If so, why not just point him to that shop and have him talk with employee x or store owner y?

Because he is a HIGH LEVEL executive that favors MY opinion. I am sure we will end up some where, but he is the type of guy that is going to want the information prior so he can make an educated purchase.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Because he is a HIGH LEVEL executive that favors MY opinion. I am sure we will end up some where, but he is the type of guy that is going to want the information prior so he can make an educated purchase.
...and it is robs boss...being profeesional never hurts and can gain brownie points as well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
maybe include a small sample photo so he knows when he gos into the shop what he is looking at for the most part?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
...and it is robs boss...being profeesional never hurts and can gain brownie points as well.

Actually it is my Boss' Boss. Which is the CFO of the country's 276th largest company. So if I can get some brownie points/kiss arse/brown nose whatever you want to call it and talk mountain bikes at the same time I am gonna do it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I breezed your piece. I thought it was a little too detailed, even though I understand it fully. If I did not, it might be too much.

For example:
o Rear travel 0-80mm

That implies there might be 25mm or 67mm travel bikes (which there are), but it is extremely unlikely your boss is going to buy a softtail or a Scapel.

I would break down to the very basics, customized for his needs. I would imagine he is going to buy either a XC or a trail bike, so focus on the hardtail, 3-4 inch XC bikes, and the 5-6 inch trail bikes.

There are only 3 qualities worth mentioning to a beginner: weight, handling, and pedability. At this point you could interject how price and design affects these things.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I breezed your piece. I thought it was a little too detailed,

He is a CFO and used to seeing VERY VERY detailed info from me, he will eat up the details even if he doesnt fully understand their context.

For example:
o Rear travel 0-80mm

That implies there might be 25mm or 67mm travel bikes (which there are), but it is extremely unlikely your boss is going to buy a softtail or a Scapel.

I would break down to the very basics, customized for his needs. I would imagine he is going to buy either a XC or a trail bike, so focus on the hardtail, 3-4 inch XC bikes, and the 5-6 inch trail bikes.

There are only 3 qualities worth mentioning to a beginner: weight, handling, and pedability. At this point you could interject how price and design affects these things.
Cool thanks, but he is a car and detail guy, so he is going to love to hear about hydraulic brakes, compression and rebound dampening.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Rob,
I might add 2-3 bikes of each genre/manutafturer's level that you would suggest. Or give him you recomendations at the 3 major price ranges: $1200, 2000, 3000+
It will give him a better visual knowledge as well as a riders experience on why a bike is better than the next.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
He is a CFO and used to seeing VERY VERY detailed info from me, he will eat up the details even if he doesnt fully understand their context.

Cool thanks, but he is a car and detail guy, so he is going to love to hear about hydraulic brakes, compression and rebound dampening.
Well, I would give what I suggested as an intro/summary, then your stuff as the meat.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Make sure you print it on a high quality (bond?) paper, with your personal letterhead (what, you don't have one??) as page one.

Regarding your instructions, the last step should read: After making your purchase, log on to the interweb and RideMonkey, and ask people if you purchased the right bike.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Make sure you print it on a high quality (bond?) paper, with your personal letterhead (what, you don't have one??) as page one.

Regarding your instructions, the last step should read: After making your purchase, log on to the interweb and RideMonkey, and ask people if you purchased the right bike.
or if he is trying to decide between two completely different bikes ask which one is better...,.
which is a bettere bike...the C'Dale Chase or a Demo 9?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
or if he is trying to decide between two completely different bikes ask which one is better...,.
which is a bettere bike...the C'Dale Chase or a Demo 9?
Oh oh oh, and forgo Rob's advice when it comes down to the final decision. Make note that Ask RC has the gnarist advice, and won't steer him in the wrong direction.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
You should consider having a conversation with him and helping him decide what type of riding he actually wants to do. A lot of that could be determined by the type of kayaking he does.

It would be to your benefit to prove that you can actually carry on a coherent, personable conversation. Not just analyze and report.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I guess my point is if this guy is a smart individual , by pointing him to a really good shop and a good shop employee/owner, you bypass the need for a busy guy to read a really long memo about buying a bike.

Just point him to the source of the good information and he'll be well on his way.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You should consider having a conversation with him and helping him decide what type of riding he actually wants to do. A lot of that could be determined by the type of kayaking he does.

It would be to your benefit to prove that you can actually carry on a coherent, personable conversation. Not just analyze and report.
Obviously you have never actually worked in a very large corporate environment (I do and get paid pretty well to be there). He wanted an outline, he will do his own research and then we will be having a discussion.

I guess my point is if this guy is a smart individual , by pointing him to a really good shop and a good shop employee/owner, you bypass the need for a busy guy to read a really long memo about buying a bike.
Just point him to the source of the good information and he'll be well on his way.

That is a 2 page written document that will take 45 seconds of his time. (if it took you longer, sorry for your reading skills) From that point he will probably do some of his own research, form an opinion and then bounce some ideas off of me. That will take him about 10% of the time it would take to go to a bike shop and talk to some dude at the LBS.

What part of the conversation didnt you understand when I said he wanted MY opinion? If he wanted the opinion of some dude standing in a LBS he would go get it. He knows me, he knows I know him, and that my opinion is going to be more relevant than some dude that is going to spend 10 minutes trying to figure him out and give him advice.

Actually I am finding this rather interesting in that the folks that are arguing with me arent even addressing the question.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm certainly not arguing with you. I'm just thinking that he's a busy CFO and hopefully he knows a few of the things you have included in your memo already.

I'd at least get it down to a one pager if it were me. I mean he's gotta know what a fork does on a bike right? I'd also ask him what type of riding he'd like to do and then focus on those types of bikes.

He's probably interested in an XC or trail bike or possibly an all mountain bike right? I mean if he doesn't know squat about buying a bike, I doubt he's going to want to jump right in and by a 35-40 pound Freeride bike or a 40-45 pound DH Sled right?

A couple of quick questions via email and you could shorten the length of your memo in half I suspect.

Oh yeah and I wasn't recommending you to just send him to some schmuck at a bike shop, but I thought you might know of a really great shop in his or your area where he would be treated well by a knowledgeable staff person, or perhaps even an owner if it is a small shop. I think he would greatly appreciate the gesture of sending him somewhere where he'd get the level of service he deserves and by pointing him there you would get the brownie points you seek.

I just kind of find it a little funny is all. I've never worked for a big corporation, but is this typical? If so, I think I'll stick with academic medicine/higher education.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Rob,

I think it looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like is this:

o Front fork 130-150/160(5-6”)
o Rear travel 130-150/160(5-6”)

Why not just drop out the 150/? I would put the two ends of the travel range for each type of bike. I am a bit confused when I see this and I know a bit more about bikes than your boss.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why are you getting defensive when people are giving their opinions?

Personally I'd get a bit more background, then shoot him a more specific memo. But you know the guy and I don't so it's totally your call.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow i say take the man to a shop and show him the differences. i mean he is just like every other joe blow once he walks into that shop. in my opinion this is just going a little over board with the whole thing. why not talk to the guy and find out what he wants to do with the sport so that you can narrow it down a little bit. show the man some websites and some bikes and take him to a shop and your done. i mean i understand the whole suck up to your boss thing but its mtbing make it fun not professional. well good luck to you man and i hope everything works out for you and hope that he gets into the sport like the rest of us have.:cheers:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Obviously you have never actually worked in a very large corporate environment (I do and get paid pretty well to be there). He wanted an outline, he will do his own research and then we will be having a discussion.
Sorry, I just realized how the second line of my post comes off. I was meerly venting frustration that has built up from dealing with large beurocratic corporations with way too much red tape.

I am constantly bombarded by emails similar (in style) to the one you've written above. While it's very thorough, it contains too much information. A thirty second conversation would allow you to focus your "purchasing 101" in a way that would be much more usefull to a new-mtb'er.

And, no, I do not, nor ever plan to, work in a very large corporate environment. Primarily for the "issues" you've outlined here.

You obviously know this guy relatively well and know what he likes. My opinions are just my opinions.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I highly recommend you PM ncj01 ... he's quite knowlegable in dealing with high end clients and their questions.