Quantcast

Mountain Bike Weekend Jim Thorpe....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
30 minutes in what direction? I could probably come down 17 (or 86 or whatever they call it now). I'll take a 30 minute drive over leaving my car in a Denny's parking lot.
West.

To give you an idea (I can give you exact direction if you want), take 81 to 17W for about 10 minutes, to 26S for about 10 minutes, to my road for 5 minutes.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I'm going to be using an air mattress in my tent and I was wondering if anybody will be bringing an electric (battery or cigarette) pump, or a foot pump to pump it up. If not I'll bring mine. Just trying to save space...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
air mattresses, cots... jesus - who's bringing the waterbed?

Doesn't anyone actually camp around here? Sleep on the ground, not shower, that kind of thing?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jacksonpt said:
air mattresses, cots... jesus - who's bringing the waterbed?

Doesn't anyone actually camp around here? Sleep on the ground, not shower, that kind of thing?
Dude. A cot is the shizzle for camping. If it rains and water gets in your tent, you and your sleeping bag are off the ground. And air matresses rock the hizzy because you don't wake up with a crick in your back from sleeping on some root or rock.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Dude. A cot is the shizzle for camping. If it rains and water gets in your tent, you and your sleeping bag are off the ground. And air matresses rock the hizzy because you don't wake up with a crick in your back from sleeping on some root or rock.
:stupid: Plus, if it rains, my stuff won't be sitting in a puddle!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
:stupid: Plus, if it rains, my stuff won't be sitting in a puddle!
I'm sitting here chuckling like an idiot thinking about when we went to Thorpe a few years ago and Big Jake and Sipsey's stuff was floating in their tent :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jacksonpt said:
I think the most was 2 days. I don't generally camp for more than a long weekend.
What I've found is, if it's raining hard enough for long enough, you will get water in your tent. My tent is pretty damn nice and pretty damn waterproof, but stuff on the floor will still get wet in a long steady rain.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
What I've found is, if it's raining hard enough for long enough, you will get water in your tent. My tent is pretty damn nice and pretty damn waterproof, but stuff on the floor will still get wet in a long steady rain.
I don't doubt that rain will eventually seep through, but regardless... my waterbed comment was just to give you guys a hard time. I'd probably sleep on a cot too if I had one.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jacksonpt said:
I don't doubt that rain will eventually seep through, but regardless... my waterbed comment was just to give you guys a hard time. I'd probably sleep on a cot too if I had one.
I'd probably sleep on a waterbed if I had one :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
jacksonpt said:
We just bought them a couple of weeks ago. I heard all about the rocks-n-roots at the campground and we thought it was time. ;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
So what's the plan for Sunday... how late are people staying? We are doing the breakfast, right? Any plans to ride before everyone takes off?

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I'm on stosh time all weekend. it's his call, but I'm not opposed. Of course if you're not going to shower all weekend, I may change my mind.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Crazy Sweeper said:
I'm on stosh time all weekend. it's his call, but I'm not opposed. Of course if you're not going to shower all weekend, I may change my mind.
You're my biatch!!! :)

Sunday is Fathers day... so I don't think a ride is in the cards for me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stosh said:
You're my biatch!!! :)

Sunday is Fathers day... so I don't think a ride is in the cards for me.
I don't think I'd be home in time to do anything with my Dad anyway, so I'm probably down for a quick morning ride.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
I don't think I'd be home in time to do anything with my Dad anyway, so I'm probably down for a quick morning ride.
I'm only about 2hrs away and I'm about the only person who my dad enjoy's talking to lately... :) He's getting old and grumpy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'd like to do a quick ride if possible, but I guess it will depend on how long we are at the breakfast. I'd like to be on the road by 2:00 or so, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
as far as riding this weekend goes.... are you all planning to go out wioth the MBW group rides or mostly ride together as your own group???? I'd love to hook up with you all for at least one ride. Right now my plan is to get up for the 9 am MBW group ride friday morning , then i think the rest of the time im gonna just ride whenever /wherever . I guess we will figure it all out

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
So I don't have to go through the entire thread, if you've ordered a jersey and you're attending Thorpe and want your jersey delivered, shoot me a PM so I can sort your jerseys first when they come in on Thursday.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Packing update: I brought a bunch of disposable bowls, plates, forks, knives, spoons, napkins and paper towels. I also tossed in some bug spray, baby wipes, dish detergent, sponge & towel, sugar, creamer (for coffee) and various spices.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
Packing update: I brought a bunch of disposable bowls, plates, forks, knives, spoons, napkins and paper towels. I also tossed in some bug spray, baby wipes, dish detergent, sponge & towel, sugar, creamer (for coffee) and various spices.
Packing update: I know where some of the stuff is that I'm bringing.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
Packing update: I know where some of the stuff is that I'm bringing.
hehe... I know all of my stuff is in the basement somewhere. With the exception of my tent, it all needs to be either aired out or washed before it gets used. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
packing update: I'm bringing some jiffy pop for everybody (on bikerag I'm also known as the jiffy master), and some marshmallow skewers because I feel that marshmallows are just as important as the tent.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I guess we'll have plenty of marshmallows then. I bought 4 grill forks (they're 2 pronged skewers), which should be fine, it'll just mean smore making will be team effort

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Crazy Sweeper said:
changed my mind no tater salad, don't think it'd fit in my cooler.

just talking to myself.
Dont worry, its ok to talk to yourself you just need to be careful once you start answering yourself too